It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Preferred instrumentations? 

Post Preferred instrumentations?
Woo first post! :D

I suppose this question can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. Regarding instrumentation, I'm curious as to what people's preferred playing situation would be with the stick. Obviously, the choice of role plays a big part here, whether you're holding up the bass end of things, or providing more of a textural foundation, etc...

I've seen people get a lot of milage out of various trio configurations. I think my favorites I've seen so far are Greg Howard's AZUL (stick, drums, trumpet/mellophone) and Matias Betti's trio (stick, cajon/drums, and guitar).

Let's see what you folks can come up with!

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Preferred instrumentations?
Great question

generally I prefer to not have a bass or guitar in my ensemble (I like playing those roles) . Anything else is great. Brass, winds vibes piano drums of course.

Brett

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I tend to agree, Brett. I'm always impressed with a player who can take on the whole Guitar+Bass thing. I'm very new to the stick still (about a month into it), so I'm still working on the whole hand independence thing.

It seems to me that a stick works best in a small-ish ensemble. Anything too big and the sound gets way cluttered very quickly..

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I prefer the Stick alone, as a solo instrument.

cheers,
kev

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I guess I opt for the solo Stick sound as well, although there have been some outstanding duets posted on here.

Eric

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Definitely stick & voice.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jtkmus1c wrote:
Woo first post! :D

I suppose this question can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. Regarding instrumentation, I'm curious as to what people's preferred playing situation would be with the stick. Obviously, the choice of role plays a big part here, whether you're holding up the bass end of things, or providing more of a textural foundation, etc...

I've seen people get a lot of milage out of various trio configurations. I think my favorites I've seen so far are Greg Howard's AZUL (stick, drums, trumpet/mellophone) and Matias Betti's trio (stick, cajon/drums, and guitar).

Let's see what you folks can come up with!
It's an interesting question. I think the answer depends on the player. Some people do very well in a solo setting, others better as part of a band.

For me, there are too many answers to this question. These days, the trio format is my favorite ;)

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

What a great post, and a first one at that.

The Stick is an extremely versatile instrument for which rock / popular / jazz have no defined traditional role. There is no shortage of fantastic soloists, but the Stick can also be a very complimentary instrument as well. For me the question is how can you compliment the format in which you are playing?

I enjoy listening /playing Stick in a solo format. It's tried and true. One listen to Culbertson's Acoustick will silence any naysayers of the Stick's versatility or melodic potential. Same can be said for cats like Poorman and Boysen who, as soloists, layer / loop / process the Stick so well, creating lush and lyrical waves of sound.

I also like the Stick as part of a duo - the Stick fits in very well with a singer / songwriter playing acoustic guitar. Tom G. does fantastic work with Bert Lams on acoustic guitar without any vocals - they each provide a nice backdrop for one another to play off. I especially enjoy playing with a Santur player as part of a duo, iI's a very unlikely pairing but very rewarding for Navid and I in that we have to listen very closely to one another if we are to create something special.

The trio might be the best fit for the Stick. Beggs (JPJ), AZUL, Levin and Emmett all excel in this format. It allows the Stick enough room to actively bridge the melody and rhythm components perfectly, alternating between traditional roles of guitar / bass / keyboard seamlessly. Horn and drums are a pretty good fit with the Stick.

Groups of four will offer a little less bandwidth for the Stick's potential, but it's done all the time - Crimson, Rocket Scientists, Billy Cobham Quartet, Well of Souls, I am sure there are more (I am still getting started after a late night). This is especially a nice fit for the NS as one can fall back on the 4ths tuning and still have the option to use the right hand to augment melodic parts.

Unless it's a vocalist, string / horn section or percussionists, in my opinion, adding more instruments on top of 4 will create a sonic challenge for the Stick to be recognized or used to it's full potential - which is not to say it can't be done or sound good. Stick players need to be versatile and agile in that you may be paired with an instrument that may not "seem" like a good fit - how you make the collective sound memorable is, to me, what music and playing the Stick is all about.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've always admired Paul Bley's solo piano music and his duo or trio improvisation recordings. So the good sonic options for that kind of "slow motion" improvised music was one thing that pulled me into the Sticky territory (quite a beginner here, just started out three years ago). Regarding my looping and layering stuff I still do that, but - for the record - my recent CD is Stick only and actually grasping for the natural sounding Stick performance.
http://perboysen.bandcamp.com/album/stick-street
Next I'll record an album where the Stick shares the sound space with electronics extensions as well as symphonic strings arrangements. Not really "Solo Stick" but more like "Stick as Guest Starr Instrument" :-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I like how I use it - I currently (For about another day or so lol) play in a trio with the stick where i use it to fill the bass role, but also use the treble side distorted to play leads or harmonize with the guitarist. He wanted me to just start replacing the guitar solos with my stick, so he could focus on vocals and rhythm guitar, but, I'm about to jump that ship :lol:

Which, strangely, is entirely different than how I practice (arranging solo pieces from piano music and struggling furiously with classical adaptions lol)

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am