It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

Slap bass 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Slap bass
Check out this one of a young Kai Eckhart…. dang!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuYOg-KS3A

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Luc, there's no use apoligizing for sarcasm on this forum. take it from me, i know. the thin-skinned are thin-skinned. somebody don't come around here 'cause of me, and i PM apoligized...

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I took a few lessons from kai at Berklee just before he joinsed mahavishinu.

Many great lessons learned from him

Among them

Be extra prepared for every gig no matter how small he used no charts everything was internalized

Practice everything slower and slower not faster and faster. He would start every lick at a moderate tempo and get it groovin and the take it down a few ticks and do the same over and over until it was incredibly slow ..... Very hard to do

Last be open to all music he was in the heavy metal ensemble because he wanted to learn as much as he could about all kinds of music

Great teacher

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@BB - yes! I study w/him via Skype… what a tremendous humanoid he is…. very conscious and very aware…. Now… getting ready to bone up on some Stick study with Steve Adelson…
Happy Horrid Days… hope to see you in L.A. this August!

Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:14 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Luc wrote:
Rob Lesko wrote:
Slap bass is the closest thing to jacking off that I know of.

Are you making that comparison because you lasted about 3 minutes with it? Sorry, dude.
There IS therapy for that, you know.
:lol:
Sorry, I mean nothing personal. I was just jumping on the opportunity for a joke.

No offense taken and good one Luc !

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I recently got even more "un-nerved" by slappin' when I saw Mark King "slappin'" when he was playing "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" with George Harrison and Eric Clapton .

I do enjoy Bootsy Collins though !

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rob Lesko wrote:
I recently got even more "un-nerved" by slappin' when I saw Mark King "slappin'" when he was playing "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" with George Harrison and Eric Clapton .

I do enjoy Bootsy Collins though !

as amazing a bass player as Mark King is (and many of the other" slapping virtuosos" out there) - most of it is pure wankery and equivalent to seeing how fast you can play scales or some other crap.

It takes a lot of musicianship (restraint) to play a decent funk slap beat and not become Victor Wooten throughout the entire piece (and thus bore everyone to tears). And I love Victor Wooten when he is playing in a band.

If you listen to Mark King's songs, he is an incredibly talented, musical, on-beat player who can really carry the song, but as soon as he starts soloing, I lose all interest. And I'm primarily a bass player.

I semi-remember a quote from Geddy Lee (who I truly consider to be the most talented bass player ever primarily because he never recorded a bass solo on an album that I know of) once said something to the likes of "there is no lonelier sound in the world than a bass solo"

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

gotta agree with you Randy. i try to play the best possible note all the time - and i agree with Geddy Lee. when im locked in (with the drummer or otherwise) im singin all the time. look what happened to Jaco when he started showing off. and then look at his compositions...

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
gotta agree with you Randy. i try to play the best possible note all the time - and i agree with Geddy Lee. when im locked in (with the drummer or otherwise) im singin all the time. look what happened to Jaco when he started showing off. and then look at his compositions...

yeah, that is Geddy Lee's one most amazing talent; to play a bass line that is completely original, melodic, AND 100% in the groove with the entire tune. Few players do it as well as he does, but there are many out there.

It's just the silly "million triplets of slapping" that everyone finds "incredible"...there's no melody and no music in that at all, IMHO. (no criticism implied too anyone here...just a general observation of what people find "amazing")

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yeah!!!!! OH Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 am