It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

Slap bass 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Slap bass
randy wrote:

It takes a lot of musicianship (restraint) to play a decent funk slap beat and not become Victor Wooten throughout the entire piece (and thus bore everyone to tears). And I love Victor Wooten when he is playing in a band.

If you listen to Mark King's songs, he is an incredibly talented, musical, on-beat player who can really carry the song, but as soon as he starts soloing, I lose all interest. And I'm primarily a bass player.

I semi-remember a quote from Geddy Lee (who I truly consider to be the most talented bass player ever primarily because he never recorded a bass solo on an album that I know of) once said something to the likes of "there is no lonelier sound in the world than a bass solo"

There's a video of Victor Wooten talking about this. It's in his Groove workshop DVD. He makes some really good points as to why people don't like the bass solo. The moral of the story was that it lacked groove. People don't want to see your chops, they want to hear music. He had this big chart about what's important music other than the notes themselves. Makes for a really good watch for any musician.

Bass solos really shine when the song comes first in the bassist's head. Jaco always said the melody was the most important part of a song.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery