It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Trey Gunn speaks on "Original Voice" 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Trey Gunn speaks on "Original Voice"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii5zyu6B01g[/youtube]

Holy jeepers....the first couple minutes are amazing when he's jamming, but then he launches into a talk about the value of an original voice in music; how to notice what you like and don't like, how to put that into a "toolbox" and then how to pull musical devices out the toolbox when you're making stuff (and the value of making a lot of stuff).

He also talks a bit about how the Warr Guitar (and by association the Stick) because of its fifths tuning actually protects him from falling back on guitarisms and things that he already knows.

I've always been blown away by this guy's musicianship and creativity, but I had no idea that he was such a good presenter/artistic coach as well.

All of this make me wonder what's in my toolbox. So far, the things that I "notice" according to Gunn are:

-Tapstyle instruments
-Polyrhythms
-Non-western modes/scales (not that I know what's going on, I just notice...)
-Looping
-Bowing of any kind, just not on typical stringed instruments except for cello
-Fretless instruments
-Non-typical rhythms, non-western percussion and instrumentation
-Anything by the Beatles, Allan Holdsworth or Bill Evans

How about you?

Ps. Hang out until the end and you'll see some really interesting improvisation over a bunch of loops.

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Trey Gunn speaks on "Original Voice"
I have had the honor to study with Trey consistently over the last 1.5 years… He is an Incredilbe teacher and coach…. Very different take on the instrument…. It was not until I tune both sides of the stick in 5th's, that it made sense to me. Recently I tuned back to MR and have been very happy that I did. With ALL of the wonderful work and teachings that Greg, SteveA, Bob have given us, Trey has some very unique perspectives on the instrument, performance and the "inner Game" of tapping… I highly suggest grabbing a lesson or two from him. It will be an enlightening experience! :geek:

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 pm
Contributor
Contributor

rclere wrote:
I have had the honor to study with Trey consistently over the last 1.5 years… He is an Incredilbe teacher and coach…

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! I had no idea that he was such a good artist coach. It sounds like he's got all kinds of stuff going on with playing, coaching, production and whatnot. I'm glad that he makes time to pass it on. I'd love a lesson once I get past the basics....

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:48 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Ps. I'd love to figure out what kind of effect he's using during the second performance at the end of the talk when he's got that guitar in his lap. It sounds like it's some kind of gated thing which causes the not to "bloom" somehow.

I think that there's a similar thing going on in Michael Bernier's sound if I'm not mistaken. In any case, both approaches seem to enable a legato voicing approach (which is kind of interesting if you think about it) on a basically percussive instrument.

That would definitely be a nice musical device to add to the "toolbox".

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Past the basics? It is ALL basic. this is where he can really help you with the way that "You Play". there is no dogma about technique… it is about helping you with your own skill sets. Both Trey and I have worked with Markus Reuter, and he has devised a whole system on tapping that will allow you to be very, very fluent all over the instrument. check out the "Family" system that he has developed. It will take your playing to new Heights!!!
If you are just starting out ( i assume this due to your statement about basics), just the coaching aspect of what he does is SO incredibly useful. I have been working with him weekly, and I have been completely happy with my progress. :ugeek: best to you!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

rclere, is your MR still in 5ths? anyway, great post, great vid. basically, KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING. BFA.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

No, it is standard MR - 4ths melody, 5ths bass….

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

That BFA statement is pretty kick ass. Play with passion or go home.

Glad to see that Trey is okay after almost being run over by a motorcyclist in India! What a talent!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just listening again… What a great a meeting with Trey. Emminently postable

Thanx for the inspiration Again..!!

BFA

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

jwanka wrote:
Ps. I'd love to figure out what kind of effect he's using during the second performance at the end of the talk when he's got that guitar in his lap. It sounds like it's some kind of gated thing which causes the not to "bloom" somehow.

It looks like possibly a tc flashback and ehx microsynth into a Phil Jones suitcase. The ehx microsyth is an amazing pedal.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery