[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIDy46s99nI[/youtube]

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Colin Hay talks about Sting
Joseph,
great post!
I have been very fortunate to meet Colin on several occasions now. The first was when I drove 6 hours to see him at Sellersville Theatre in PA, where a lot of major acts "rehearse" their show before going on tour. Beautiful old theatre seats about 300. Colin told me he would really like to get back to Pittsburgh, and I made some e-mails to agents and some promoters and it happened. He thanked me after a show at the Rex.

If you get a chance, he is still a great writer and his vocals are pristine. He uses some loops but plays all the songs on acoustic and some electric. Mainly though, he possesses a great sense of humour as you see here. He intersperses funny anecdotes about how a guy bit by a shark made it through by singing "My My My it's a Beautiful World", or his eternal gratefulness to Zach Braff, for pulling him out of a very dark time with alcohol and difficult legal dealings with CBS, and putting him on the Garden State soundtrack. Also for Zach for that great episode of Scrubs where he pops out of the morgue and closets singing Overkill!

Men at Work unfortunately were seen as the 'poor man's Police' which is not a fair comparison. Their overplay and sense of humour in their videos may have lead to that.
but the chords are textured, the melody line defined and memorable. Colin's renditions of a few ( he said he felt compelled since they billed him as Colin Hay - from Men at Work) show the great writing a song is when it is reduced to just a voice and a guitar. His songs are
mature and insightful and oh, that Scottish voice with an Australian accent!

if he is in your area get tickets, and go enjoy and treat yourself to one of the greats who Paul McCartney COVERED on his desert island disc!

great post on a great artist,
Dave Brosky

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Colin Hay talks about Sting
Hey Dave,

That's so excellent that you connected all the dots and got him to come and play. How cool is that?! I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a Men at Work fan. Always have been, but then 80's were kind of my thing.

You're spot on about the song writing and all that. I've been watching a lot of solo guitar videos that he has on YouTube and I'm more and more impressed with how good the guy is as a performer, as a writer....and he's also very funny. As far as the song writing....there's a solo video where he plays "Who Can it Be Now?" and stripped down version is amazing in terms of the chord progression and whatnot.

It's really too bad his shoulders aren't that impressive, don't you think?

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 pm