It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

David Tipton Plays "Wrecking Ball" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: David Tipton Plays "Wrecking Ball"
What a great arrangement! I found this to be a kinda haunting melody and as I don't remember hearing the origional it was brand new to me.
Definatly one for the sonbook. Thanks Dave.

Just for perspective I pulled up the official video on youtube by Ms Miley (the tounge) Cyrus, and I agree it's not one I'd have paid any attention to if it was on the radio.
BSharp wrote:
I'm surprised as well, hearing aspects of that song I hadn't heard before (being too distracted).

Me too, although in my case it was watching a naked girl swing around on a wrecking ball, I had to watch it twice!

Cheers,
Eric

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

eraplanetearth wrote:
What a great arrangement! I found this to be a kinda haunting melody and as I don't remember hearing the origional it was brand new to me.
Definatly one for the sonbook. Thanks Dave.

Just for perspective I pulled up the official video on youtube by Ms Miley (the tounge) Cyrus, and I agree it's not one I'd have paid any attention to if it was on the radio.
BSharp wrote:
I'm surprised as well, hearing aspects of that song I hadn't heard before (being too distracted).

Me too, although in my case it was watching a naked girl swing around on a wrecking ball, I had to watch it twice!

Cheers,
Eric

I think I just figured out why I had no interest in watching through the entire original video... :?

It's a beautiful chord progression, and very catchy. I just never noticed it until hearing David's version.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

eraplanetearth wrote:

1. Dude, no.
  2. The difference between Dave's version and the original—including the music video—is pretty much the difference between music I like and the "music industry."

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
[*]Dude, no.
[*]The difference between Dave's version and the original—including the music video—is pretty much the difference between music I like and the "music industry."[/list]

Dude!!! Lighten up ..it was a joke. As it happens I tend to agree with you.

Eric

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am especially fond of the counterpoint that is heard against the melody at the beginning of the verses and pre-choruses. The upper registers in the left hand, tightly voiced with the melody singing out over them, sounds like a harpsichord. This delicious unaccompanied sound belongs to the Stick and in the hands of someone capable, like David, it adds new flavor to this tune.

David is a national treasure of a player, arranging songs for his weekly gigs as a means of challenging himself and relating to his listeners. I recall how he related learning "I can see clear now" to a Clapton tune he already knew. At some point you realize (as bSharp has pointed out), there's nothing new under the sun.

I love the back story on a night he played this for a busload of high school girls on a sports team that just happened to be passing through the venue he was playing that night. What a great tune to have in the repertoire when you need it and how easy it was to relate the instrument to something they were familiar with.

Less about the novelty, more about the music.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery