It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

3 Finger 8 Note Scales 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post 3 Finger 8 Note Scales
Here are the first five 3 finger scales mentioned in the Thesis on Holdsworth.

When studying jazz at university another student who had learned to play jazz using guide tones commented that he once met someone who had learned jazz by creating variations on the main theme and not by guide tones. My friend said that he was just as good of a player as he was and that having a different kind of education didn't hurt his playing at all. I am coming to realize that Holdsworth's method of using 8 or more notes to a scale is yet another method.

In the other thread I talk about refinement seeking simplicity and although these charts don't look simple, Holdsworth has been voted best guitarist in several polls 5 years in a row. He sounds just like Coltrane and other players who studied using the guide tone method or "variations" method don't.

They sound more like Charlie Parker which is kinda old fashioned and won't get you voted number one guitarist for even a single year. Many people play like that. They're great too. I love Earl Klugh and so many guys but I think Holdsworth's approach is actually a greater simplification of the problem of how to create an improvisation than the variations method or the guide tone method.

He's built chromaticism into the scale and so doesn't have to even think in the spur of the moment about adding chromatic approach tones, chromatic neighbor tones or chromatic passing tones. He just lets his fingers take a walk through the 8 note scale and doing that allows him to come up with very fresh ways of utilizing those chromatic pitches which sometimes seem to come out of nowhere, leaping to one for an example not often used by other players, and sound so great because of it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: 3 Finger 8 Note Scales
Here are the next 5.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

And the last one.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

thanks for posting. food for thought....

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I haven't printed any of these out, so I can't see a lot of detail in the images. I see that the charts are for 6 strings, but is the tuning for guitar or all 4ths tuning?

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

It's straight fourths tuning.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 am