It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

Zen Moments (instead of "who's better") 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Zen Moments (instead of "who's better")
Zen Moments in becoming "Marty Pirint, Stickist":

1: ('85) after hearing Emmett, Alphonso, and Tony (live w KC) on recordings, calling Sam Ash NYC from central Jersey, finding out, "Yes, we have one in stock", driving to NYC (flat tire on Turnpike), purchasing outright after making "fnuffy" noises, "Good luck with THAT thing" (salesman), and coming home with my guitarist threatening to cut the melody strings off, playing in the backyard: (the neighbors went inside, the birds and squirrels came UP to me).
2: after sitting 21 years in my basement, sending it to Emmett for refurbishing and playing it ON MY BACK because i was awaiting hip replacements and i couldn't SIT.
3: getting Blondie (12string bamboo) '08
4: trading in 5-string Pedulla custom PentaBuzz for a powered loudspeaker, relizing i was no longer a "bass player".
5: having John at Hy-Way Music de-fret the Ironwood (o.k., maybe that was a Crazy Moment)
6: this morning, knowing i get a little better every time i play, because it is The Cosmic Inspiration Machine. (and the coolest instrument IN THE WORLD)

Thank you Emmett and all u Cool Cats mulling about on this website.

Wed May 07, 2014 9:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

1. Watching Emmett, Nyle Steiner and Chad Wackerman perform at Le Cafe. We would get postcards in the mail, usually black and white. My mom would drive out with me because it was 21 and over.

2. King Crimson - Discipline.

3. My first few lessons with Don Schiff, who is still every bit an inspiration to me today as he was the first day I met him.

4. Watching and learning with Frank Jolliffe at the National Guitar Summer Workshop on the campus of Scripps College. Tractor was there, Mike Kollowitz (a GREAT Stick player) was there, Giancarlo (also GREAT) was there. I remember watching Frank sight read out of the Real Book, walking lines against chords, comping and soloing. I recall listening to the way he breathed - he breathed the music, it was sublime.

5. Meeting Dale LaDouceur in 2012 and hearing her story. She learned from Frank also, she attended the NGSW out in CT at pretty much the same time I did, but on the other side of the country. She cried (heck we cried) after learning that he had passed. Hearing her sing, play and write music on the Stick is a real joy to behold.

6. Lots more...I am having one now!

Wed May 07, 2014 11:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

gpoorman wrote:

Gordian Knot
This was one of my two most important recordings. From start to finish, only one other record pumped me up more than this one.

Oh, yeah! "Grace" was like a bullet between the eyes. I liked that progressive guys even before I've become a fan of Sean Malone (cz I am a bass player) personally, and it took me a while to figure out, that the piece was playedon one instrument (quite an awkward revelation for me it was that time). Still one of my favourite pieces ever! I'va figured out and played several separate licks from it some time ago. I would definately start puttin those together when purchae a loop machine (RC-300 I supose) and play it somwhere.

As for another "moments" - Bob Culberston alone is the best insipator!)
Thanks to our russian stick comunity also. (about a dozen of us now)))

Thu May 08, 2014 1:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery