It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

I have achieved greatness! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: I have achieved greatness!
I am always moved by the generosity and helpfulness of the members of this forum. Dave, that was a most generous offer, and I will probably avail myself of it. I sent you a PM to that effect. Another member of the community also offered me a Skype consultation, but did so privately, so I will keep it private. I think I need all the help I can get, so I will probably accept the services of both of these fine teachers. I have only played three times in the last 6 months. The first time I couldn't handle the Stick rubbing up against my severely radiation burned chest. Once that healed enough to play the neuropathy was setting in. I miss being able to play, and hopefully, between two awesome teachers, we can find some way to put these dead claws back to usefulness.

Thank you all,

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I 'm in. Sorry I didn't announce this earlier but had the same thoughts. A gratis Skype lesson is now offered.
Be well, remain optimistic, keep the nicely groomed look and look towards a great future. You've been courageous to step forward and the communal support is obvious and admirable.
Speak soon.
Healthy days ahead
Steve A

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

What a great attitude. You have my admiration! I hope you'll be able to return to your love soon.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. Just an update. In keeping with this forums theme, I was inspired by three different artists this last week. My first Skype lesson was with Greg H. I have had a number of lessons with Greg over the last 9 years, and I am always amazed at his wealth of knowledge. Every time I have met with him, I come away with hours of things to think about and practice.

My second lesson was with Dave B. Dave has a style of teaching that is focused on having fun. He has a very positive energy, while still conveying the technique he is teaching. I also learned two new songs during our session.

Last but not least, I met with Steve A. on Saturday. We focused on chords in the melody hand, which I have to admit, I have spent little time developing. Steve can take a piece of music, play it in such a way that it looks easy as pie, break it down for you, then you get to see how hard it really is, lol. Plus, I learned a new song from him, one that I had been trying to arrange on my own just a week earlier. I didn't tell him, so I guess he's psychic.

I am not a beginner to the Stick by any means. Prior to my illness, I would have considered myself as intermediate. But I felt like a beginner with all three of these inspirations. If you have been considering taking lessons via Skype, or have found yourself stuck or bored with your progress, I would heartily recommend any of these fine teachers as a good place to turn!

As far as me...my neuropathy has not abated, but I feel I gained enough information and techniques to work around it. I had a CT scan last week, and discovered that I have pneumonia (probably caused by the radiation.) They did not find any new cancer growth, but there is some activity in some lymph glands that may need to be biopsied. Can't wait for that. Oh well, life goes on.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

It was indeed gratifying to meet you for a lesson as offered and share musical knowledge and concepts. It sounds like some inspiration was digested which will also have a positive health benefit. I wish you the best in your full recovery. Keep in touch
Steve A

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Has anyone heard from JStorm? He hasn't posted in almost 2 years, I am afraid he is no longer with us.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I found this.

51 years young. Happy trails Jimbo, your optimism and hope for the future is still with me.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow I missed this entirely. Rest In Peace. Thanks Gene for the link and thanks Kev for remembering.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There's a thread about Jim's passing here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8301

Jim was a truly gentle soul.

While I love the grand Stick gatherings we've been having on the east and west coasts, and at special venues like Interlochen, I'm missing those smaller events in the middle of the country, where players form the heartland can gather.

Jim's event in Carbondale was a great connecting opportunity for those who came, not just with him, but with Eric and several other players from the region, including the first father/daughter Stick team I've ever met, Gary and Jocelyn Garner. And David Parr was also there, another great player with a gentle vibe...

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thank you for the obit, Gene. And thank you, Greg, for the link. It's for the best that we remember our brothers.

I am humbled.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 pm