It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

Pat Martino,Bela Fleck in studio doing "Oleo" 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Pat Martino,Bela Fleck in studio doing "Oleo"
This is real clean video/audio and a great look at these guys putting this jam together. At the end they begin to play around with the Eddie Harris tune "Cold Duck Time". I wish there was more of that one. I'd like to hear someone play Stick like Martino plays guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJK4ua ... e=youtu.be

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Pat Martino,Bela Fleck in studio doing "Oleo"
Now we're talking. I actually recorded a short Christmas segment for this series a long time ago. Might be doing another in the future.
I had the great pleasure of jamming with Pat for six hours at his home two years ago. Pat has been a major influence on my music since his Live at Folk City record in the early 70'. I usually include one or two of his tunes in my jazz sets. My fave of all time is The Great Stream. Check Pat's autobiography as well. A real gentleman and hell of a player
BTW...Bela is fantastic on that video as usual
Steve A

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great music, incredible musicians, and an amazing story. I missed the release of Pat Martino's autobiography in 2011. It's on my reading list now.

http://www.amazon.com/Here-Now-Autobiography-Pat-Martino/dp/1617130273

There might be a few of you who don't know that after becoming a young master with a limitless future, Pat had a brain aneurism that almost killed him. When he woke up from surgery he had forgotten how to play guitar. I have long wanted to understand his journey back to being able to play like in that video. Now I can, once I find the time to read it.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pat will be part of a future movie documentary about his ordeal. I believe Quincy Jones had a similar experience and is another subject in the movie.
SA

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Pat will be part of a future movie documentary about his ordeal. I believe Quincy Jones had a similar experience and is another subject in the movie.
SA

Very cool, looking forward to it.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yeah Pat looms large in my book. As has been said, he actually had to have something like 70% of one of his brain lobes removed. After that he taught himself how to play all over again by listening to his old records. Essentially he learned how to play world class jazz guitar and everything that goes with that - twice. As you might imagine he is also one of the most intelligent and well adjusted gentlemen you'll ever meet. I always try to catch him when he is in L.A.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 am