It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

Nick Beggs (Iona) - Bird of Heaven 

Post Nick Beggs (Iona) - Bird of Heaven
Hi guys - I'm new here, so apologies if this in the wrong section - but I was looking for some help and advice on a particular Stick part in a song.

The song 'Bird of Heaven' by Iona from the Beyond These Shores - the part I want to work out starts at about 3.34 (you'll here it). I've wanted to play it for ages but there doesn't appear to be any live versions/video footage/transcriptions of it.

I've tried to work some of it out by ear the good old fashioned way, but was wondering if anyone had a) worked it out before or b) can tell me whether they reckon the part is solely played on the bass side rather than the melody side or a mix of both?

I know Nick Beggs appears to be more of a bass side player and the initial few patterns I can hear I think are solely played on the bass side - or at least the fingerings appear to be the most economical/convenient.

Can anyone help?

Thanks guys!

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Post Re: Nick Beggs (Iona) - Bird of Heaven
There aren't many videos of Nick with Iona, I've only caught a couple of them like "Flight of the Wild Goose" from the first album. Back to the track though and it's sounds to my ears like the bass side but for the definitive answer Nick is on Facebook and he is a lovely chap, might be worth asking him.

When I get me new Stick (yup I'm back on my way again after 16 years) I'll give it another listen. No idea if I can work it out but I like a challenge :)

Take care
Jase Bell

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 am

Cheers dude. I've been working out the first few bits and the Bass side (in Classic tuning) seems to be the way. I'm just not that adept on the stick yet!!

I have emailed Nick (I heard he does reply to emails) and cheekily asked if he'd ever fancy doing a quick play through of it for youtube - but obviously he probably won't as he is super busy! Worth a try though!

Thanks for your time.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:05 am

No worries, I had a listen again and it sounds like bass and melody, I'll have a play around with it myself over the next few days as I need to get my hands back in to shape. This is the perfect excuse.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 am