It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 am

An Insanely Inspiring First Week + Pics 
Contributor
Contributor

Post An Insanely Inspiring First Week + Pics
It all started with seeing my new 10-string rosewood Stick arrive on Monday evening, 12/29/14. I unpacked and lifted the instrument right out, plugging into a Mac/amp rig, and then off I travelled. I had half day to full day practice sessions - the first times I had ever played a Stick, next - a very cool first jam with my "jamming band"'s guitarist (who had just picked up a new Native Instruments "rhythm machine"), and -finally- discovering other goodies from Stick Enterprises just today (I had rushed right past looking over receipts or other contents before)!.

As far as my first impressions go with the instrument: I wish I had been playing this instrument 20+ years ago! I love the tone, feel, expression, the precision, and endless versatility I have at my fingertips. The sensitivity and range of the PASV-4 is well worth it from my standpoint, as a guy who is not entirely sure where his band's music will fall, sonically-speaking. The range and sensitivity of the PASV-4 simply sounds very impressive in practice, even with minimal equipment. Yes, learning certain chords will be tough to learn and getting use to the fifths tuning on the bass side is interesting, but this all contributes to a brand new array of artistic opportunity that I have not come across in, well, forever... Hand independence is already building and I feel "comfortable" with picking up reading the Stick tablature and doing arrangements. Having said all of this: I am a novice and 1/2 on this instrument, while I feel ready/able to learn.

I have a very basic set up for the Stick, consisting of my Mac (or iPhone/iPad) running Studio One, an Alesis I/O hub, and a 50W Marshall guitar amplifier that I typically play with a Strat or an Ibanez bass at low volumes. I'm thinking of going for the Line6 POD HD500X as a home and "jamming" rig, while adding a simple stereo Roland keyboard amp shortly. Also, I need to pick up the Roland GR-55 or similar at some point, as a planned expansion, though MIDI might be even more of an after-thought based on what I hear so far. Gear is cool and I will need more/better gear for certain sounds and performance (eventually), but all of that is secondary to the learning that I need to undertake.

Many thanks to those reading this and to Mr. Emmett Chapman and Stick Enterprises for a great purchasing experience. Some first pictures of my new 10-string rosewood Chapman Stick are below. Enjoy!
:D

Sincerely,

Chris Anderson

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:25 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: An Insanely Inspiring First Week + Pics
Thank you for the pics...we all love that.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great glamour shots :D

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Congratulations, Chris! Very inspiring for you, yes, but also inspiring for the rest of us to hear about your first week. It's a nice shot in the arm.
Don't wait too long before posting some music here!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very nice Chris, congrats! I am still drooling as I look over the forum, SE website, youtube, etc., and try to decide what to do! I am a total noob, don't have a stick yet, but I have been immersed in my lusting desire to own one for the past few weeks. Like you, even though I am "stickless", I have been reading, learning and slowly understanding what I am about to do to myself...argh!!
Cheers,
RandO

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A beaut! Really like the blue dots on the rosewood.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:51 am
Contributor
Contributor

Luc wrote:
Congratulations, Chris! Very inspiring for you, yes, but also inspiring for the rest of us to hear about your first week. It's a nice shot in the arm.
Don't wait too long before posting some music here!

Thanks Luc! It's been a good start but I know I am only dipping the toes in the shallow waters. What strikes me is that it is relatively easy to comp some bass lines, especially using both hands. The hard part, for me, will be to become adept at reading the Stick tab and then progressing through some standards. I'll probably be searching for support from my fellow Stickists soon enough!

As for the music: I hope to do something relatively soon!

You're quite welcome for the shot in the arm, too!

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 am
Contributor
Contributor

carvingcode wrote:
A beaut! Really like the blue dots on the rosewood.

Thanks! I also liked the bamboo with the blue dots, and at one time I liked the padauks a great deal. It took me a couple of weeks to settle down on the choice (and I did not contact SE until then)!

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:37 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I am thinking of getting 2 Fender Bassmans and building a pedalboard for both melody and bass side.

Are you planning to haul that rig to gigs?

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 pm