It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

Ten Hands & The Gone Men 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Ten Hands & The Gone Men
Hey guys,

One of my all-time favorite bands was (is again) Ten Hands. Gary Muller, Stick player extraordinaire, handled the low end. But there was a band before that, with many of the same players, called The Gone Men. I just found a video of them. Only saw them live, once, in passing, on the old Fry St, in Denton TX, 1985. Here's a video of them jamming in their house.

I studied with Gary in '87, and again in '96.

Here's the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjUEF3iv4Y[/youtube]

Paul Slavens on piano, & Matt Chamberlain on drums.

Paul & Gary & the rest of the Ten Hands guys are back together. Matt spent one season as the Saturday Night Live drummer, played with the New Bohemians, and has had a stunning career with folks like Seal & David Bowie.

R

Last edited by rodan07 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Ten Hands & The Gone Men
I enjoyed this video and recall Matt speaking of Ten Hands but never got a chance to see it in action - thanks for sharing this!

Matt Chamberlain, right?

<namedropping>
Inclined gigged with Edie down at the Bacchanal down in SD back in the day and as well with Critterz Buggin up in Hollywood. Those were the only times I got quality time with him. While I haven't spoken with him in years, I recall enough that he was a genuinely friendly person.
</namedropping>

Wallflowers, Dylan, Edie, Soundgarden - Matt has quite the resume and is quite capable to say the least.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yeah, I fixed the name. Gary & Matt used to live in this multi-room rental on Sycamore St. in Denton, where I lived much later. A real dive, but great to jam in. I lived in Matt's old room, but somehow the magic never rubbed off... Stlll, I jammed in there a lot.

The way I got his name wrong was a faux pas that Dentonites of a certain age would catch (the less said the better)...

R

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:59 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Wow, they're REALLY good.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Rodan, Gary Muller, wherever you are .....That's Gold.!

I'm having my first Stickrad Trio rehearsal in a long time, we have the same instrumentation.

I'll be sure to show it to my chaps.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yep, it's Matt Chamberlain.

My buddy Dave Palmer played with him in the New Bohemians, Seal, Fiona Apple and some other bands. Dave went to University of North Texas in Denton, I think that's where he met Matt.

I hung with Chamberlain years ago. Cool guy, very serious about his playing.

I had considered going to live in Denton for a college ride... at the time, I thought doing drugs, going on tour and endless rehearsal was a better idea. Jesus...

Denton is a great launching point for kids that like to practice a LOT.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

love me some Ten Hands. Listen to them all the time.
Moved to Austin when I was 18, straight outta Hampshire (New that is...), about as white and un-cultured as a person could be.

Made a friend who took me to see Ten Hands play at The Cactus Room on campus at UT and I was just blown away. I dont think I had ever seen a live band before (except for a few big name concerts, nothing like local bands/local clubs-type scene), and certainly never heard anything like Ten Hands.

Started my whole Stick experience...found out about KC, Peter Gabriel, yah yah..

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

University of North Texas is a VERY good university for music.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:21 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

K-Rex,

You could have moved to Denton and STILL taken drugs!

So you knew Matt! I never had a conversation with him, but I thought his drumming was bewitching. I saw him play with Ten Hands of course, and later with the Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians, who were really hot in '85. When the New Bo's came to NYC to play SNL, Matt hooked up with the SNL band, and Edie hooked up with Paul Simon...

But when I moved into the Sycamore St. house, where Gary & Matt used to live, Dave Palmer still lived across the street. He didn't leave town until '93 or so. That guy could play the keys. He was maybe the best jazz/funk/pop pianist who ever lived in Denton, and I'm including Lyle Mays here. He could handle bass, chords, & melody all at once, in a very agressive way, and he could carry a whole band, like Fats Waller could. Everyone with an ear was intrigued by his style.

He put keyboards first. Girlfriends were second, and that was that. I wish I could have been that way, but I adored girls too much. That, and my habit of switching instruments every few years, kept me firmly among the third-rate...

R

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rodan07 wrote:
He put keyboards first. Girlfriends were second, and that was that. I wish I could have been that way, but I adored girls too much. That, and my habit of switching instruments every few years, kept me firmly among the third-rate...
R

+1

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery