It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Greens for Griffin and Charlottesville 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Greens for Griffin and Charlottesville
Ever since the Stick Night in Connecticut on Saturday I've had a couple of Brett's tunes really firmly ensconced in my auditation playlist, "Geens for Griffin" and "Charlottesville". I've heard him play these tunes several times, and his versions on his CD, Journeys are really nice, but the duo performance of them on Saturday night was just stellar.

Great writing and playing, Brett, memorable heads and on the first, killin' bebop basslines. I really hope you can shed some light on how to play major key walking bass, it's something we don't hear that much in Stickland.

Thanks for a memorable weekend.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greens for Griffin and Charlottesville
Wow

Thanks Greg. Yes I want to share this with the community. I will try to make a video soon and do some explaining of my approach. The thing that knocks me out about the stick is that you really can do Anything on it. It's limitless. You and Bob blew me away as well, just so great to hear such amazing music. What I really want to hear in my lifetime is someone play circles around me (and everyone else) through jazz chord changes walking horn lines....the whole deal.

When I think about playing "Jazz" on the stick I don't think about stick players, I think about great jazz artists. I think some day we will have a "jazz great" on the stick and if I can help make that happen by sharing I'll be happy. I'll keep shedding 2-3 hours a day get deeper into melody and harmony and keep growing as an artist. I want to push the envelope, I want to show what I can do and encourage others to do it better, with a spark of innovation. Every jazz great shattered the preconceived notions of the day and reinvented how to play...... thats what I want to have people do. So again thanks Greg it mean A LOT to me to have you say such nice things mostly because I've worked really hard at it.

But I'm where I'm at because of Emmett and because of you. Greg you were and are my teacher I owe you so much man as does the community. I might not mirror you style but your approach to movement and groove gave me the ability to play what I do, and I still work from your DVD trying to get more and more movement into my playing.

AND I'm convinced that your new left hand techniques are completely applicable to what I do with Bebop lines. I think if I can grasp your ideas and share mine, the next generations will have some really great stuff to build from. So yeah man, lets shed some light and encourage new lighted pathways it's what you have done for decades and since you dug my set last weekend....I hope you feel some pride for your teaching. Claire was wonderful and I was really happy playing we are just two of your students who have a lot of growing to do, but........ teachers don't always get to hear this.....thank you, you are the best teacher I have ever had.

Brett

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Wow

Thanks Greg. Yes I want to share this with the community. I will try to make a video soon and do some explaining of my approach. The thing that knocks me out about the stick is that you really can do Anything on it. It's limitless. You and Bob blew me away as well, just so great to hear such amazing music. What I really want to hear in my lifetime is someone play circles around me (and everyone else) through jazz chord changes walking horn lines....the whole deal.

When I think about playing "Jazz" on the stick I don't think about stick players, I think about great jazz artists. I think some day we will have a "jazz great" on the stick and if I can help make that happen by sharing I'll be happy. I'll keep shedding 2-3 hours a day get deeper into melody and harmony and keep growing as an artist. I want to push the envelope, I want to show what I can do and encourage others to do it better, with a spark of innovation. Every jazz great shattered the preconceived notions of the day and reinvented how to play...... thats what I want to have people do. So again thanks Greg it mean A LOT to me to have you say such nice things mostly because I've worked really hard at it.

But I'm where I'm at because of Emmett and because of you. Greg you were and are my teacher I owe you so much man as does the community. I might not mirror you style but your approach to movement and groove gave me the ability to play what I do, and I still work from your DVD trying to get more and more movement into my playing.

AND I'm convinced that your new left hand techniques are completely applicable to what I do with Bebop lines. I think if I can grasp your ideas and share mine, the next generations will have some really great stuff to build from. So yeah man, lets shed some light and encourage new lighted pathways it's what you have done for decades and since you dug my set last weekend....I hope you feel some pride for your teaching. Claire was wonderful and I was really happy playing we are just two of your students who have a lot of growing to do, but........ teachers don't always get to hear this.....thank you, you are the best teacher I have ever had.

Brett
Hi Brett,

It's a big challenge to take on certain styles with the instrument as they are really optimized on instruments that function differently. Bebop on The Stick, at the speed with which you are willing to play it blows me away.

The jazz bassist only has to do one thing. To do it as well as he/she does AND play heads and solos on top of it is truly remarkable.

Thanks for your kind comments about my teaching. I love teaching as much as I love playing, so lucky me who gets to do both with my life....

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery