It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

Bob's "Aural Hues" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Bob's "Aural Hues"
I don't think anyone has posted this here yet, a great exploration of chords by Bob form his upcoming improv CD.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3uyZFmjF40[/youtube]

Sat May 16, 2015 7:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Bob's "Aural Hues"
Wow. What a strong player. Bob has what he needs to become a great composer for the Stick - the ability to try out ideas in different ways, very quickly, discard what doesn't work, keep what works, and move on to a new phrase or section.

I'd love to see a thriving sheet music business for the Stick, although that may be a quaint idea in the 21st c. It would allow Stick composers to have an audience. (Perhaps Youtube would be part of that, so prospective customers could watch the work being played, and order the music.)

R

Sat May 16, 2015 8:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Bob is always amazing. One thing that stuck me, when he hits the strings at the beginning they ring as if not muffled. Surprising.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sat May 16, 2015 8:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
Bob is always amazing. One thing that stuck me, when he hits the strings at the beginning they ring as if not muffled. Surprising.
Ray, these days Bob is using a capo on the bass strings. I think he had it on there for his whole performance at the recent Stick night in Connecticut, so you heard right!

Sat May 16, 2015 9:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:
Ray, these days Bob is using a capo on the bass strings. I think he had it on there for his whole performance at the recent Stick night in Connecticut, so you heard right!

I have noticed that I can achieve harmonics this way even without a capo. Maybe that means my dampener isn't functioning properly. I think everyone who has posted performances here is amazing to watch and listen to, but Bob sure makes it look easy and fun. He must practice a heck of a lot I bet. ;)

Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

OMG
these videos make make me wanna sell my stick :)

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sat May 16, 2015 9:12 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Boaz wrote:
OMG
these videos make make me wanna sell my stick :)

Aspire don't retire!!! (I think I am going to make a bumper sticker out of that)

Sat May 16, 2015 9:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I think Bob showed us an example of this style of improvisation at the '13 Interlochen seminar. What he was explaining was, and I am paraphrasing here, you can make identical shapes with both hands(watch the chord arpeggiation--I give up on the spelling--of his hands, not the soloing). He said you could start on the same chord in both hands, and then try moving one hand or the other over to adjacent strings or up and down the fingerboard to get the desired effect. Kind of like polychords, but with less actual science or math and more trial and error. I have spent hours dong this and just listening to the overlapping harmonies. What a way to spend the day! One more incredibly foresighted innovation by some guy named Emmett. (not the LEGO character, for those with children)

Mike

Sat May 16, 2015 10:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Not the first time I see this video (I follow him so closely...lol) but it's always a pleasure to listen to him. It looks so easy...that means is a great master of this stick. We can hear the dynamics, the scales and a lot more. As you mentioned, Greg, even we can't see it on this video it looks like he playing with a capo on the bass side. What a great musicien and improviser he is.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sat May 16, 2015 10:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery