It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 You are looking at the world with a bias 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: You are looking at the world with a bias
for all the lefty people :

do you use lefty stick - or got used to playing the "regular" righty stick

being a righty i don't think of it as a guitar which needs to be all backwards-more like a piano

thoughts ?

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Mon May 18, 2015 4:36 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boaz - this would be a great separate post! I would be curious to see how left handed players approach the Stick and if they flip the tuning.

Interesting to see how quickly kids adapt to new ways of thinking.

Mon May 18, 2015 6:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

giedosst wrote:
I feel this movie is not only a great example of how I approached learning the Stick but for how I learn in general with my dyslexia. What this guy is talking about is learning something one way and sticking with it and getting trapped by it because you never challenge your methods. I myself can not learn things in normal conventional ways so I toss it out and learn something 4 or 5 different ways until I find the method that works best. For me my learning life has been try the conventional way, it fails, throw it out, think outside the box, try 5 other ways and use the one that works best with my brain. The more you do this the faster it gets.

we did a simulation at my fiance's sons school (he goes to a special school for dyslexic kids) where you used this special contraption (a three-sided box with mirrors).

And you were supposed to trace a simple figure (a star or triangle) - but you couldn't see your hand, all you could see was the mirrored reflection of your hand in the open end of this three-sided box.

So what happens is when you watch the reflection, if you move your hand forward, it APPEARS to move away, same with left vs right.

Man - it was sooooooo hard to trace those figures. I am a fairly good sketch artist and have been since I was kid. I can draw almost anything near perfectly directly from memory - but man you should've seen my "triangle" tracing.. :P

I really wish I had saved those pages.

My skills were obviously irrelevant to the experience, and most people could barely draw a straight line. But it's an interesting way to simulate what certain types of dyslexia do to you - your body/brain does the opposite (or something else entirely) of what you WANT it to do.

Mon May 18, 2015 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Im a left handed stickist, who plays right handed. I found it not so difficult to play in the standard orientation, for all of Gregs reasons. However, as my playing progressed, I wanted to add in some guitar oriented skills like fingerpicking and strumming. My right hand has almost no facility at either one.

Now I am stuck playing the stick as a tapping instrument only, and the guitar as a guitar.

Mon May 18, 2015 8:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Amazing! It scares me a bit though.... I've been so confident that with enough practice I could incorporate the inverted 5th's bass side in spite of my 24 years playing de double bass everyday, but now I wonder if it won't be to frustrating when I get the railboard.... Just because I need to continue to do what I've been doing as a profession, meaning, I was planing on playing both instruments... Just wondering ;)
Thanks Gene, great post :)
Rodrigo

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good post Gene, watched twice....interesting it only took him 20 mins to rewire when he went back to normal style.

cheers,
kev

Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very cool Gene. It's amazing to see how we learn and then unlearn, so much easier when we are young. That was my biggest hesitation when considering taking up the stick. Learning something completely new at my age (64) was a factor. Thankfully I can say I am glad I took up the challenge, it has already been most rewarding. And I am left handed as well! I think being a drummer does help, I am used to using both hands. I also think us lefties are more adaptable as a general rule of thumb, since we have to exist in a rightie world thus are used to adapting more... at least that's how I see it! I bet lefties can write with their right hand better than righties with their left! Maybe..... Lol!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Mon May 18, 2015 12:30 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Looking forward to the poll that Greg put up for left handed players! :D

Mon May 18, 2015 5:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Great video! I'd beg to differ about the word "cognitive" in this context. When I think "cognitive" I'm thinking "cerebrum", whereas the cerebellum and the motor cortex are heavily involved with bike riding.

You can think just about any thought, and say just about anything, while riding a bike, because your cerebrum and your Broca's area are free to do whatever they want while other brain areas are attending to keeping you upright on your bike and moving forward, and avoiding obstacles, and keeping you safe. It might even enhance your cognitive abilities to have your cerebellum so activated.

So, the bike riding "bias" is not "cognitive", unless "cognition" is taking place in your body as well as your mind.

R

Tue May 19, 2015 8:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bachdois wrote:
Amazing! It scares me a bit though.... I've been so confident that with enough practice I could incorporate the inverted 5th's bass side in spite of my 24 years playing de double bass everyday, but now I wonder if it won't be to frustrating when I get the railboard.... Just because I need to continue to do what I've been doing as a profession, meaning, I was planing on playing both instruments... Just wondering ;)
Thanks Gene, great post :)
Rodrigo

Rodrigo I played upright and electric bass for over 20 years before learning the stick. Because they are such different instruments I was never thrown by the differences. I believe the biggest mistake a player can make is to assume instant transfer from one instrument to the next. It's all relative and each of us has a different aptitude for learning new instruments but knowing one instrument well shouldn't inhibit learning another, the challenge is to approach the stick as something completey new and find the time to learn it while keeping up your bass playing.

Trust me it won't feel like a bass in your hands at all, it's closer to picking up the drums or piano for the first time.

Brett

Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next