It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 You are looking at the world with a bias 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: You are looking at the world with a bias
Two things strike me as I watch this video. First I'm amazed that so many people think they can ride the bike. Maybe it's because I'm A music teacher and I've had to learn so many instruments over the years. But I know that learning new things is very difficult it takes a lot of practice. I think it's a bit of hubris To think you can just get on something backwards and just ride it the first time. It takes a lot of practice to learn anything new,

And secondly the fact that things click with him as he's going between the two ways of riding the bike reminds me of transposing while reading music.I often have to read music in the key of E flat or B-flat while playing in c. And then I'll pick up a piece of music it's in G which I often have to transpose the To B-flat and find that I have to wait a moment and think about it before i am able to do it,it just clicks but it takes time. In fact I have one stick which is dark wood with light inlays while all my other sticks (including the one I learned on) is the opposite. I find I need to Think and play before settling in and even then I'm not as comfortable. And I play with my eyes closed a lot. My point is that small differences in learned behavior can make a huge difference.

I'm even thinking about selling or trading in my padouk to get another light stick.

But interesting video on how we learn and on how clueless we can be about our limitations.
Brett

Tue May 19, 2015 7:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Another thing this video made me think of is how the evolution of designs can be rational or can simply be arbitrary.

With regards to how the bicycle is designed, there's a rationale behind the how the handle bar work, but for example, the decision about which side of the road we drive on seems entirely arbitrary.

Ever since I started playing the Stick I've thought that the cello might work better if it was strung the other way, for example, as the hand fits the tuning better. The typewriter keyboard is another great example. We seem to be able to adapt to different modes pretty effectively. But rewiring definitely seems to get harder as we grow older.

De we make it harder, or is it just that way?

Wed May 20, 2015 4:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
bachdois wrote:
Amazing! It scares me a bit though.... I've been so confident that with enough practice I could incorporate the inverted 5th's bass side in spite of my 24 years playing de double bass everyday, but now I wonder if it won't be to frustrating when I get the railboard.... Just because I need to continue to do what I've been doing as a profession, meaning, I was planing on playing both instruments... Just wondering ;)
Thanks Gene, great post :)
Rodrigo

Rodrigo I played upright and electric bass for over 20 years before learning the stick. Because they are such different instruments I was never thrown by the differences. I believe the biggest mistake a player can make is to assume instant transfer from one instrument to the next. It's all relative and each of us has a different aptitude for learning new instruments but knowing one instrument well shouldn't inhibit learning another, the challenge is to approach the stick as something completey new and find the time to learn it while keeping up your bass playing.

Trust me it won't feel like a bass in your hands at all, it's closer to picking up the drums or piano for the first time.

Brett

Thanks Brett
That's actually one of the reasons I decided to go for it: the anticipation of learning something completely new :)
No preconceptions it's a turn on :)
The other reason is just that the damn instruments keeps calling me.... Like the bass did, all those years ago.
Greg: The descending learn curve as the age increases makes it even better: one of the best things in life is the joy of challenging one's brain and realize you still can do it :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed May 20, 2015 1:36 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 20, 2015 6:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
the decision about which side of the road we drive on seems entirely arbitrary.

In the UK, driving on the left started in the days of fighting on horseback (e.g. jousting). I have no idea if that applies to other countries which drive on the left.
greg wrote:
The typewriter keyboard is another great example.

I do not follow; what does the typewriter keyboard exemplify, and in what way is it an example?

Wed May 20, 2015 7:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Left side riding in medieval Britain was a way of staying alive while on horseback making your way through the woods. Everyone was right handed (left handed ness was the Devils work) so everyone had the right arm as their sword arm. So..... As you rode through woods you travel on the left side and look keenly into the left hand woods for outlaws if someone attacks from the right you draw and are ready. If you were to ride on the right you would be killed by and left side attack as you would need to pull yourself completely around to fight. Simple self preservation.

And effective

Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would take a Stick over any other instrument in a bar fight, but I digress :D

Cheers to learning new things with new friends! And new strings are nice too...

Wed May 20, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
I do not follow; what does the typewriter keyboard exemplify, and in what way is it an example?
Rob,

The typewriter keyboard layout is an example of harmful technological inertia.

The QWERTY layout was designed to prevent collisions of the typing hammers on mechanical typewriters. Other layouts have been tried that allow people to type much faster, but there is too much resistance to adopting them. I mean, the US will probably never give up the English system of measurements, even though there are real costs to not having the same system as most of the rest of the world.

I guess the keyboard isn't "arbitrary", but our continued use of it is.

I wonder if texting will lead to a substantive change in the keyboard layout someday.

I never knew about the left side riding, Brett. What a forum!

Wed May 20, 2015 8:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
The QWERTY layout was designed to prevent collisions of the typing hammers on mechanical typewriters. Other layouts have been tried that allow people to type much faster, but there is too much resistance to adopting them.

...he said to a man who had used the Dvorak keyboard layout for many years, going so far as to create his own version thereof. :lol:
greg wrote:
I mean, the US will probably never give up the English system of measurements, even though there are real costs to not having the same system as most of the rest of the world.

We would have been ahead of the metric system had George Washington had followed Thomas Jefferson's suggestion.

Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

keep learning new things. u might not learn as quick as u were younger, but the brain is malleable and challenging it keeps it working longer. everything ive been reading (books, oh yeah, numerous studies are showing higher retention from the printed page than computer screens, tablets, etc., this goes for young and old alike) point to this the neuroscientists are discovering much about the brain. i am by no means an accomplished musician but i enjoy (challenged) playing left-hand bass in fourths, inverted fifths, and both hands (with both tunings). us old fogies gotta keep up with them young whipper-snappers. keep learning. "ill keep playing till they pry it from my cold, dead hands..."

Wed May 20, 2015 11:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next