It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 what kind of music do you listen to except Stick ? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post what kind of music do you listen to except Stick ?
what is your idol band? album? genre ?

I'm really into Heavy metal - especially Iron Maiden, but many many more

shoot ===>

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:33 am

Post Re: what kind of music do you listen to except Stick ?
I listen mainly to Jazz.

My last listen:

Jimmy Scott

Inger Marie Gunderssen

Joe Diorio

Other than jazz:

Ami Winehouse

David Sylvian

Dominic Miller

Jobim & various Bossa Nova artists

Mina

Noa

Anything hitting my curiosity

Funny, but I usually don't listen to Stick music, even if I have many CDs from most famous Stick players.
Thinking about it, this is probably due to the several kind of music it is played on the Stick, which still not include what I would like to listen to, because there is a bunch of still unexplored Stick music possibilities, IMHO.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:01 am
Contributor
Contributor

Lately...
My Bloody Valentine
Helmet
Mahavishnu orchestra
Hiromi
all types I usually attempt in integrating into my stick music. I standardly get annoyed by the sound of popular dry/raw stick music with one minute of listening. Players should be trying to play music on the stick, not stick music. It's a waste of vast potential. This instrument is not limited to classical, jazz, soundscapes or bee bop by any stretch of the imagination.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think it's interesting that nicola says that "jazz" is a main listening component, and there isn't much of that stuff out there. While Michael sights 4 overplayed genres two of which are jazz and bebop.......these points of view seem to be in conflict.... But I don't think they are. I'm a jazzer. I listen to Jim hall, pat metheny, Dave holland,miles, trane, mehldau, rosenwinkle, etc. also a lot of classical and some rock.

There are a dozen "stick" CDs that I LOVE and I think they hold up to my other listening I think Greg Howard's music is amazing composition playing, ensemble play. I love Michael Berniers stuff and Crimson and I think everyone should listen to some Bob Culbertson. There are a few others but my point is that I listen to music for the "music" not the stick playing. So does your jazz recording stand up to joe Diorio or metheny? If not I'll listen to those guys instead. So I think both nicola and Michael are both right, we need more variety and quality and more high quality jazz stuff that goes beyond and stretches the genre. And Incude myself in this criticism.

I'll have another release within a year, but not until I think it will hold up to my other listening.

Just my 2 cents

Brett

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

agreed. There is certainly a predetermined tendency to Prog/jazz with the stick due to its associative anchor to Tony levin and the sort. I am guilty of this tendency. I feel like the classical arrangements I keep hearing on Stick may come from it's seemingly elaborate, autonomous and technical nature. The box has been established and more players need to step out of it and experiment with other genres. Ultimately we're all playing the same notes. It's just music. I imagine the first time a potential stickist holds a stick it is not unlike a customer walking into a Guitar Center and holding a flying V guitar that has pentagrams and blood spatter printed on it....said customer is less likely to feel compelled to start playing James Taylor songs on it. That being said, it's all subjective and I don't believe it's possible to suppress your influences while playing any instrument. In the end the player is playing for them self. My hope, mostly, is to play something that is evocative to me, with hopes that the listener shares that sentiment with me. I'm not hating on anyone's personal choices concerning what they choose to play on stick. There are a million cups of tea out there. I just prefer coffee. lol

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:28 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Actualy Bob culbertson right now :) a lot! :) some james taylor too... And a bunch of world music :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My rather long-winded response to your wonderfully concise question below, if there's a trend I would say it goes from bombast to simplicity over time...

I tend to listen to "works" rather than bands, though with some artists I'll go through as much of their catalog as I can find, others seem to only have one really good record (Chicago's first album is killer, after that, meh). Every band/composer I've ever liked has had at least one record that I didn't dig, so I might be a fan of an artist, but if I won't listen just because of "who they are".

Formative listening (artists/composers I listened to over and over up through high school)

Beatles
Yes
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Simon and Garfunkel (Paul Simon)
Bruce Springsteen
Dave Brubeck
Weather Report
Oscar Peterson
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Led Zepplin

College era faves (add to previous list)

Peter Gabriel
Talking Heads
Brian Eno
David Bowie
PFM
The Pretenders
Ultravox
XTC
Soft Machine
Terje Rypdal
Bob Marley
Various World Music

favorite post college listening:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Lee Morgan
Arvo Part
György Ligeti
David Torn
Tiumani Diabate

And here's the interesting thing, the music in my head took over at a certain point. I had housemates who couldn't sit in their rooms without listening to music, but in 1988 I was able to live alone for the first time in my life and found I loved auditation as much as actual listening.

So now, I tune in to the jukebox of memory pretty much 24/7. Periodically adding selections, but
usually only as single tracks. I rarely have time to listen to an entire record any more as in my youth (I always bring a stack of CDs on road trips, still not into the gigantic playlist on iTunes, but that pesky cell phone is always interrupting....)

Auditation....

To points about what's "appropriate" for Stick players to be doing. That's really up to each of us. I love the sound of the instrument bathed in effects, a complex of colors on a chaotic canvass, but I also love it bare and monochromatic, musical ideograms on parchment, if you will...

(and thanks, Brett...)

Last edited by greg on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

XTC !!! YES!!!

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Meatloaf and Queen were great while growing up.
Eagles, BTO, lots of interesting music out there.

I like almost anything with a saxophone.
Classical and orchestral music is on the table.

There's a few talented musicians showing up on AGT.
Owen Campbell, Chooka Parker, etc.

Niagara Falls has a few artists that are interesting.
I like Marty Murray's album Ghosts.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i can also add my guitar heroes :

Marty Friedman
Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Joe Satriani

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next