It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 what kind of music do you listen to except Stick ? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: what kind of music do you listen to except Stick ?
Jayesskerr wrote:
Jellyfish, The Beatles, Rush, Jeff Beck, Steve Morse all in heavy rotation this week!

Man, on any given week this could easily be my exact answer. Especially the Jellyfish connection. One of those bands you wish has lasted for a dozen albums instead of two.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Karma wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Jellyfish, The Beatles, Rush, Jeff Beck, Steve Morse all in heavy rotation this week!

Man, on any given week this could easily be my exact answer. Especially the Jellyfish connection. One of those bands you wish has lasted for a dozen albums instead of two.

Jellyfish is, like my favourite thing to listen to above all else...

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long."

Around 1991 or 1992, my wife and I along with some friends went down to St. Andrews Hall (smallish club in Detroit) to see World Party. The opening act that night was an unknown band Jellyfish from California touring in support of their debut record. We were all blown away. They were a four piece with all four members singing and doing some of the richest vocal harmonies we'd ever heard. They were obviously heavily influenced by groups like the Beatles as well as the power pop bands of the 70s (Supertramp, Cheap Trick, etc). In addition to the wonderful original tunes, they also nailed some fairly ambitious cover tunes like "Live and Let Die", "The Logical Song", and "No Matter What".

We had a new favorite band. In 1993 they followed up with their second album which was arguably better than the first. The thing I loved about these guys was their ability to nail the tunes live in spite of the lush studio production and the layers of vocals.

We saw them live two more times after that. Once as a headliner and again as an opening act for Tears for Fears. After the second album, they imploded and self destructed.

A real shame. But if you don't know them and like really well done old school pop rock, check them out.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Gpoorman,I am jealous.I bet they were really something to see/hear. Very cool.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

So thanks to this thread, I've been blasting both "Bellybutton" and "Spilt Milk" all day. These tunes simply never get old.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Cardiacs, Cardiacs, Cardiacs......Oceansize, Queens of the Stone Age, Of Monsters and Men, Alice in Chains, Biffy Clyro, old Rush, Beck, Silversun Pickups, Deftones, The Jam, Frank Black, Gogol Bordello......
I could type forever....

cheers,
k
Did I mention Cardiacs?.....uh...yes. Your lives would all be richer if you gave this band a chance.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

One up-side of Netflix binge-watching is that I get to hear some great music in the shows.

Broadchurch’s score is fantastic, gives the show that full gut-wrenching experience. I’ve also been listening to Olafur Arnalds’ solo work.

I’ve become addicted to Person of Interest (the show has been around a while, but I wasn’t aware of it until recently). The score is excellent, some great thematic work and textural writing. The soundtrack is nice too, they do a great job of picking out songs that work for various important scenes - typically their end of episode. The music list is here for anyone who’s interested.

I’ve also really enjoyed the Jessica Jones score. It’s got a dark, ambient, guitar vibe. I haven’t seen it for sale anywhere, hoping they’ll release it soon.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:46 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

On the topic of Netflix and film scores, some may find the beginning theme song to Marvel's Jessica Jones to be fairly interesting. I am still trying to decide if the show is interesting.

Mike

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Nicola wrote:
I listen mainly to Jazz.

My last listen:

Jimmy Scott

Inger Marie Gunderssen

Joe Diorio

Other than jazz:

Ami Winehouse

David Sylvian

Dominic Miller

Jobim & various Bossa Nova artists

Mina

Noa

Anything hitting my curiosity

Funny, but I usually don't listen to Stick music, even if I have many CDs from most famous Stick players.
Thinking about it, this is probably due to the several kind of music it is played on the Stick, which still not include what I would like to listen to, because there is a bunch of still unexplored Stick music possibilities, IMHO.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:05 pm
Contributor
Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
So thanks to this thread, I've been blasting both "Bellybutton" and "Spilt Milk" all day. These tunes simply never get old.

I LOVE JELLYFISH so sad how just came in when grunge took over.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next