It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

Rush R 40 Lakeside Park 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Rush R 40 Lakeside Park
Clockwork Angels was great... And they sounded awesome, saw 'em a coupla years ago. Everyone was in top form. Rush is awesome...

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:33 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Guys, this was a great discussion to read! The thing is that I totally missed out on Rush back when they were new. I started listening actively to music in 1969 as I also started playing the guitar and in those days it was hard to find out about good new bands to learn from. I had gone through the Hendrix catalog, checked out the Chigago blues and some of the delta blues folks and then I got hooked on Genesis and Yes before jazz and experimental music swallowed me. So tonight this thread had me looking back into Rush through the YouTube and I like what I'm hearing. I'm sure, had I heard more from them when they entered square one I would have become a Rush fan. In all the pop and rock bands that has hired me in as a guitar player I have always been focusing on the relation between the bass line and the vocal melody in order to fit in my guitar ornamentation, and that seems to be "listening with Geddy ears". Geddy's attitude is the way to go IMHO.... I just don't understand how he can waste time on wine cataloguing and baseball :-) Saw this documentary:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlYc6CXgHQ[/youtube]

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My wife and I saw them last Sunday. Fantastic show. The second half was all the first album through Moving Pictures. Picked up another Tour Guide to add to my collection. During the concert, the video screen showed a shot of Neil's foot and bass drum pedal, what appeared to be an Addidas shoe made a strange pattern on screen. Later after the show was over, we were passed on the road by a guy on what appeared to be a silver G-series BMW motorcycle with storage bins on each side - and - he was wearing that same type of shoe Neil was wearing. Having not seen the guy's face I can't confirm it was really him, but I'll keep checking his ride blog to see if he decided to ride after the concert, which I hear is NOT typical of him.

Moving Pictures and Fragile is what lead me to play bass as a teenager. Something about those edgy bass tones Geddy Lee and Chris Squire were getting had a huge impact on me as to what else can be done with a bass than what the average person assumes. At one point I even owned a black and white Rickenbacker with the same tuning machines and Badass II bridge Geddy used.

I do like a lot of their new albums as well, some songs here and there I can do without, but with each album they continued to reinvent themselves. At a certain point when it looked like Rush was going more synth, Counterparts came out, returning with more guitar-driven analog recordings."Head Long Flight" was on of the first songs they started the concert with from Clockwork Angels, and there was nothing mellow about it. Seemed like Peart's drumming has elevated another notch. Going back to school studying jazz really added a lot to his playing. Even if you are not a drummer, check out the video "Anatomy of a Drum Solo".

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Hemispheres is my childhood and my adolescence. It stood the test of time, standing as my primary influence when I began playing in bands and writing my own music.

Everything after Moving Pictures means nothing to me. Just my opinion.

Those guys have put in the hours. Unless they start writing real music again, I would like to think they should rest a while.

Kev

yep - like +1 million to this.

I consider Hemispheres to be one of the best example of modern rock music ever made. Listened to it in Junior High when I first started getting into music and playing bass, and now, 30 years later, I still listen to it.

I do pretty much cringe every time I see them play now - they're chops are still the best, but Geddy just sounds awful. And there new music is among the worst I have ever heard grown men play...not as bad as these guys, but still:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0[/youtube]

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

randy wrote:

I do pretty much cringe every time I see them play now - they're chops are still the best, but Geddy just sounds awful. And there new music is among the worst I have ever heard grown men play...not as bad as these guys, but still:

]

Are you basing that off of being at an actual concert or recent YouTube videos? I've found many iPhone vids of the current R40 tour where Geddy's voice sounds terrible. That's not what I heard when actually being there.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
randy wrote:

]

Are you basing that off of being at an actual concert or recent YouTube videos? I've found many iPhone vids of the current R40 tour where Geddy's voice sounds terrible. That's not what I heard when actually being there.

I did see them a few years ago - and it sounded just like all the live videos I have seen... not iPhone youtube videos, but recorded concerts (in HD!) that were played on television...which were pretty bad, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, Rush got me into music and I still listen to them (listened to Witch Hunt on the way home from work today!)

Just sayin' Geddy can't sing anywhere near like he used to (which is funny considering how much shit he got for sounding screechy back in the 70s! :) )

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

randy wrote:
Just sayin' Geddy can't sing anywhere near like he used to (which is funny considering how much shit he got for sounding screechy back in the 70s! :) )

I don't sing, but I wonder for someone Geddy's age if his voice changes frequently doing too many shows. Here in Michigan, there's typically no lack of humidity here except in winter, would a drier climate make singing more difficult? I've heard some singers like to condition their voice in saunas. In comparison, I thought he sang better last week at the Palace as compared to the Counterparts tour at the Palace as well.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
randy wrote:

I don't sing, but I wonder for someone Geddy's age if his voice changes frequently doing too many shows. Here in Michigan, there's typically no lack of humidity here except in winter, would a drier climate make singing more difficult? I've heard some singers like to condition their voice in saunas. In comparison, I thought he sang better last week at the Palace as compared to the Counterparts tour at the Palace as well.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the show. God only knows what it takes to screech for 40 YEARS and still able to speak AT ALL, let alone carry a tune like Geddy can...

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I too used to consider the 'Moving Pictures' as the last 'real' Rush album, yet recently (like 3 years ago) I started getting into 80-90-s releases as well. They might not sound as 'prog' as 'Hemispheres' or 'Permanent Waves', especially with these heavy 80-pop synth pads, but I find that many songs on these albums still have great lyrics - 'Subdivisions', 'Red Sector A', 'Middletown Dreams', 'Animate' to name a few.
And as for 2000s albums, I find 'Snakes & Arrows' again quite interesting from the lyrics perspective, but the musicians sound like they're really really tired. On contrary, 'Clockwork Angels' is wonderfully performed and produced, and even Geddy's voice is powerful again (at least on the record, but I've had a chance to hear him singing in Helsinki in 2013 and couldn't complain), but the lyrics/story could be better.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery