It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

Rush R 40 Lakeside Park 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Rush R 40 Lakeside Park
Eugene Levy has made us laugh for decades. This gave me a belly laugh. Nice to see Rush take this one out of storage. I wish they had played it all the way through. With a catalog such as theirs, coming up with a set list has to be a challenge. No one is completely satisfied. The last time I saw them was for the Vapor Trails tour. Geddy's voice was showing it's age then, and now IMHO even more so. I don't think anyone really cares, because they are monster musicians. I'm sure most fans would still go see them play, even if Geddy never sang again. I've seen these guys from nearly every section in an arena, and have been blown away. My all time favorite Rush concert is still the Hemispheres Tour. 5th row center. Unreal. The energy these guys poses on stage could fuel military jets. Geddy's voice then was ultra high, it never cracked, not even once. His voice may have had better days, but their chops are STILL strong as ever. Don't know whether this is the last round for them, or just the beginning of a fade out. Anyway, thanks Rush for the decades of music, and for being a welcome distraction during my less than perfect teenage years and beyond. blob:https%3A//www.youtube.com/ea525683-8d67-40cd-962a-1db00af5620c

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:50 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Rush R 40 Lakeside Park
not yet stick wrote:
Don't know whether this is the last round for them, or just the beginning of a fade out.

Geddy was on "That Metal Show" recently and said that this would probably be their last big tour for quite some time...maybe forever. He said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) they are still a band and talk about writing more, but Neil has a new, young family and tours are difficult. It's also hard on him physically to drum the way he does for several hours a night, day after day. He implied that they probably would still perform live and, if they did go on the road, it would be a smaller, limited-city type thing.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yep, these cats deserve a break. Geds got to reach a point where he says......"guys I just cant sing it anymore"......
I think he is at that point now, and has been for some time, unfortunately. How do you please a bunch of fans from the 80s and 90s when the vox is no longer there?
That being said, Rush where my biggest influence when I was learning to play, and I have nothing but the ultimate grandfatherly respect for these guys. I would hate to say its time for them to hang up their skates, .....but..

Maybe they could start a crooked vultures type thing with grohl.....let him scream..

ps the Mels rock pile was frickin funny!
cheers,
kev

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hemispheres is my childhood and my adolescence. It stood the test of time, standing as my primary influence when I began playing in bands and writing my own music.

Everything after Moving Pictures means nothing to me. Just my opinion.

Those guys have put in the hours. Unless they start writing real music again, I would like to think they should rest a while.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I grew up with the early stuff, love Rush. But I think they became better "songwriters" later on, much like Genesis and Gabriel did as they went pop. I know this won't be an opinion shared by many and believe me I only have "A farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres" on my iphone but I am speaking only of crafting a memorable "song".

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
ps the Mels rock pile was frickin funny!
cheers,
kev

Anything Second City was frickin funny

Since when did music become all about the words

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I did not make it to any shows this year, but I've kept up with the band closely. The main reason they are calling this the last major tour is that Neil has a young family and wants to spend more time at home. After that, as I understand it, Geddy is all about touring and writing more, while Alex (and Neil) are both feeling more of the physical limits. However, Alex is quoted as saying they may easily have another couple of albums up their sleeves. There's still plenty of creativity there, that's for sure.

Props to the band for doing their own thing for all these years, and then going out on their terms, at the top of the game.

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:30 am
Contributor
Contributor

I saw them three weeks ago, and they still rock it!

Geddy's vocal parts were always high for him, even way back when; that was never his natural singing range, he was singing up there to heard be over all of the other sounds coming from the band.

Neil, with his family, and his chronic tendonitis - it's a wonder they can get him on the road at all anymore. Alex has been dealing with arthritis for a while now, and it is beginning to affect his performance.

Despite all of this, they were playing at the top of their game when we saw them. I could only hope that I am able to keep up that level of musicianship and stamina when I get to that age (only 10 more years - YIKES!).

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I think when they do call it quits,I think that all three of them will "set a course just east of Lyra, and north west of Pegasus". I miss my mini Rush poster that came with my Hemispheres "ALBUM". Remember those? There were certain bands, that when you held their album in your hands, you were getting a visual as well as an audio piece of art. Thanks Hemispheres CD for the postage stamp poster that you enclosed in the tray. What a bonus!!! Sorry for taking my own thread waaaayyyy off course, but I'm sure some of you can sympathize. Rush album covers were always special. A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are two of my all time favorites. Sorry again.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

not yet stick wrote:
I think when they do call it quits,I think that all three of them will "set a course just east of Lyra, and north west of Pegasus". I miss my mini Rush poster that came with my Hemispheres "ALBUM". Remember those? There were certain bands, that when you held their album in your hands, you were getting a visual as well as an audio piece of art. Thanks Hemispheres CD for the postage stamp poster that you enclosed in the tray. What a bonus!!! Sorry for taking my own thread waaaayyyy off course, but I'm sure some of you can sympathize. Rush album covers were always special. A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are two of my all time favorites. Sorry again.

I used to pour over those album covers, looking for minute details in the artwork. Loved the red record, that was so cool. Anyone remember the Devo record that was like melted plastic?
Anyways, I kinda stopped listening to Rush after Signals came out......I just moved away from that kind of music.

cheers,
kev

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery