It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Happy birthday Greg Howard 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Happy birthday Greg Howard
My deepest thanks to Gene for such a thoughtful birthday wish, and to those of you who chimed in. I truly love this community, a great bunch of creative and interesting people. I cant believe it's been 19 years since I first flew out to California for my first seminar. I imagine I've met at least 500 Stickists since that time in various corners of the world, but I never counted. Teaching via skype has brought me connections with dozens of others I may never meet in person, though I hope to someday.

As Gene might relate, I often say when I meet someone who plays the Stick, I find the fact that that they play the instrument is the least interesting thing about them.

It's an honor to be sharing the journey of discovery this new way of making music has us on, adding my two cents along the way, (whether it's asked for or not, usually).

I spent the day working on a chart, clearing some brush, picking a few veggies, and pulling some weeds, taking my kids swimming in a lake nearby, tidying up my studio a bit, and then eating a fine dinner of garlic shrimp, fried rice and coleslaw, all prepared by Joyce at home.

I opened a bottle of red (ran out of beer), and put a healthy dent in it, but I can't drink like I used to (surely a good thing). I look forward to meeting more of you in person before I turn 52!

Making music is the greatest gift we can give ourselves. Do it every day.

Thanks again!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My compliments to your mother for making a most satisfying artist, teacher, and all around cool dude.
All the best in the coming year.
Harry

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As someone who has been helped by Greg on more than many occasions through my own timidness, clawing through the consequences of my own ignorance (sometimes stupidity), I owe a lot to him. He would never think that I owed him anything, of course.
Best wishes to an incredible musician (who just happens to choose the Stick as his voice).

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
My compliments to your mother for making a most satisfying artist, teacher, and all around cool dude.
All the best in the coming year.
Harry

Thanks Harry, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that my Dad had a lot to do with who I turned out to be. He was the musician in the family, a trumpeter, and always supportive of my musical dreams, though as he grew up in the Depression era, he was never quite able to say he thought I should be a musician, as opposed to an engineer, layer, doctor, or something lucrative.

And Luc, thanks to you for chiming in as well. I look forward to our next encounter, whenever that may be.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

We should have had a cake at Interlochen! I hope you had a nice celebration, Greg. We were so much younger when we met. I was not sure back then if I'd still know you at this point and I'm happy to still be playing and growing. You've been a big part of my second musical journey and I thank you.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Happy birthday Greg Howard..
Hi Greg happy birthday form a Dutchman in Austria. I wish you all the best and many more years of great health and tappinghappiness!!!
Thanks for sharing your incredible Talent with us! Because of the lessons with you I see more Music everywhere and playing the chapman stick makes much more sense and I am enjoying playing even more....
Thank you...

Gr.
Peter
Sorry to hear you cannot enjoy an nice Leffe Beer (i did enjoy some lovely belgian beers (Kasteel beer double) during our Holiday in Holland)

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:42 am
Contributor
Contributor

Happy Birthday Mr Greg !
All my respect for your work and music and implication in the Stick community

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 am
Contributor
Contributor

Happy Birthday Greg and thanks for sharing your talents in this community! I enjoy your music and the Stick playing tips/techniques that you pass along, and I hope to take in some lessons fairly soon!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

dbrosky wrote:
Greg's tireless efforts to constantly improve, educate and provide help to this wonderful community have been consistently exponential since I first met him over 15 years ago.

Most of the ones we take for granted are under the radar because he merely presents them as opposed to tooting his own horn. Here are some of his innovations: Bartione Melody tuning, the StepAbout ™, StaffTab ™, KeyMaps ™ as well as one of the finest compilations of music information and proper technique in his Free Hands DVD.

He accrurately transcribed his songs to showcase and explain the varied styles behind them on many levels in his songbook. Plus his Stick Book +CD has techiniques, and practice pieces- some based on his own compositions, which are well laid out and with photos.

Dude! How could you forget linear inlays?!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Linear inlays may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but they sure work better.....when I need to see where I am I need to "see" where I am.

Thanks again for all the kind wishes. As we say here in Virginny, Y'all rock!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next