It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm

Another Tune. 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Another Tune.
Ok another tune up, please tell me what you think...sorry Steve still working on the kerchunk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zou9lvbA1A

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Another Tune.
Steve! :shock: Wow major progress. It seems safe to say that you have crossed into another sphere of playing. I love seeing, feeling, hearing my own progress. Strangely when I think about it "feeling" is the operative word there. When I see it happening with someone else it's the same thing there is this feeling; a kind of motivation that says 'yes' another doorway, another threshold, in short inspiring. Keep going...

Also I "got' an idea; purely technical but it's a trick that Greg talks about a lot. It's such a simple
thing that people miss it and like me don't incorporate it enough. in this video you use it to good effect: So playing the same note
with two fingers. You could make a kind of drum roll out of it like Emmett does or a steady beat. It's simple but very useful and important musically. It can be both a hinge to another phrase and a rest , a subtle island while the player figures out what to do next. Thats how you are using it here but it appears seamless. I am going to experiment with that.

The other thing that I want to bring up is further a field. I went to jam with a new musical friend the other night, a keyboardist who said something very interesting to me.
I don't know if it will translate but it has stuck with me. I have to admit that I was complaining
a bit saying that "if I could have all my time to practice and play music..." To which he replied "no you wouldn't really want that, you need that other life otherwise there
wouldn't be anything to play about".
^j^
. ~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks

When I started playing stick I came to realize that my one true goal would to just play music. If that comes across, then a threshold really is crossed. You can just play an instrument, or you can play music. I'm so tired of the first, and crave the latter.

Thanks man!

Bergen Norway

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I agree, very nice/natural playing and an obvious improvement from last time! Far better than me and I've had mine a lot longer. :)

Cheers,

EG

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 am
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome work! I've been meaning to work on "Blue Bossa" for a long time. The funny thing about me learning jazz standards is that I feel like I need to learn them twice. One version is if it's just me, and one version is if I'm comping and playing with a band. Keep up the great work. How much longer til our Grands? Haha.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:16 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Really nice job. I wish that I could say that I am progressing as well as you are. How long have you been playing? I just hit the year mark in September.

Again great job,
Steve

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I also hit the year mark on 09/24/08, thanks man!

Bergen Norway

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
Awesome work! I've been meaning to work on "Blue Bossa" for a long time. The funny thing about me learning jazz standards is that I feel like I need to learn them twice. One version is if it's just me, and one version is if I'm comping and playing with a band. Keep up the great work. How much longer til our Grands? Haha.

Yea Pete!

I do the same thing, I think we still have the bass player chip active in our brains! Its hard not to think like a rhythm section player, but I think its a good thing. One thing I have come to realize is that while I like playing as a soloist I really want to play with others in a bass/lead role the most! In fact I don't know if I can take sitting in a room by myself learning tunes much more I have to play with somebody, I'm think maybe a drummer and a sax player, get some weird fusion stuff going, you know what mean? Steve said it the best when he told me to play in every style of music with anybody. I would to try this, but I just can't where I am now! I
d even be willing to play in a cover band and I never thought I'd say that again!

Bergen Norway

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery