It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 am

Scott's Riffs From Hell... FROM HELLL!!!! 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Scott's Riffs From Hell... FROM HELLL!!!!
So... It's been a while since I posted some video, and I'm sure y'all were breathing a sigh of relief. Well, you can stop breathing 'cause I'm ba-ack... I've decided to post a new "riff" of some sort... A spontaneously created "music thing" each week here and use that to document my progress as I go. It'll give y'all something to laugh at. Fun, right? Plus, I'll make funny faces at the end of my vids...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df8MA1bvEL8[/youtube]

So, I'm coming off of a bit of a finger injury, but I never stopped practicing. I probably should have taken a bit more time off, and I definitely shouldn't have cut my cast off. All good... This is just a sort of "end of the practice day" kind of thing. A sort of release with no expectations or even standards; it just is what it is. I do have a mittful of prepared "pieces" ready, but I am kind of interested in sharing the development of my "improvisational" skills, such as they are. In my mind, I want to play over more complicated things both rhythmically and harmonically, but sadly I'm just not there yet. So it's important to me to try and ply my trade over VERY simple concepts. And it's funny, the simple stuff still kicks my butt...

Anyways, upon watching it and reflecting, I was way too ambitious as it was. Ahh well. It is what it is...

Thanks for checking it out, enjoy friends!

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Scott's Riffs From Hell... FROM HELLL!!!!
Hey, Scott! You knew I'd comment!

That pinky seems like it's staying on--hope you get full range and mobility back on that one!
Also looks like you're rocking the fourths now on bass. I like the motion at the end at around 50 seconds where both hands are working both sets of strings in some parallel motion.

I like the idea of the weekly idea posting. Whatever happened to jolyon's weekly postings?

I also like your idea of doing more collaborations, even if it's just you and me that interested in rocking it out with original music. Chromatic Jack sounds 1000% better with your additions! Everyone that's heard your tracks so far has said the equivalent of "Damn, boy can play!" Even if it's not Sticky enough for some people (Railboard as bass only), I think it was worth doing, and shows that you have mad skills to bring from guitar over to Stick--especially with that fourths tuning now in the bass. Thanks for your help on that tune!

You should keep posting these--and keep doing cool collaborations with me, and maybe we can get some others to make some original noise with us/each other. There's a lot of talent around here that I'd love to see expressed for more than just awesome cover tunes arranged on Sticks (but I do so love those as well!) Keep rocking it out!

--Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dooder thats some killer speed on the melody side...kudos for doing the hard work it would have required to get your picking hand to now do the job of what your right hand used to do...I can only dream of playing that fast. It's apparent you've spent a lot of time practicing scales in the right hand....I also see the Martinoesque left minor/majorchord shapes....mirrored 4ths....nice.

I see you wear a ring on your pinky......no wait!......thats the injury eh? holy crap....I thought it was just the tip but it looks like it's above the knuckle. Cutting of the cast is very rock and roll! eheheh....thanks for sharing the zombie finger.

Great rhiaphage dood (en francais for riffage). You're really coming along dood....!

cheers,
Canuck Fanuck

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Very cool. Don't get discouraged - You're an inspiration!

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very cool stuff Scott! Damn, you healed up quickly, and well. It looks like you haven't missed a beat since your injury. Oh, and I love the ending lol!! :lol:

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Several musical experiments all thrown into one. I especially like the occasional exotic scale note intentionally skewing the harmony - one of my favorite ways to play.

Looks on video like it should be a quick and casual recording. Instead I hear a meaty and resonant bass with moderate tube melody distortion that would cut thru any mike or recording program. With a Stick sound like that, it seems you can do no wrong. (Well, there are some wrong notes, but not when they're intentional.)

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:13 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Several musical experiments all thrown into one. I especially like the occasional exotic scale note intentionally skewing the harmony - one of my favorite ways to play.

Looks on video like it should be a quick and casual recording. Instead I hear a meaty and resonant bass with moderate tube melody distortion that would cut thru any mike or recording program. With a Stick sound like that, it seems you can do no wrong. (Well, there are some wrong notes, but not when they're intentional.)

First of all, thanks for checking out my jamming. Made my day, man!

Yeah, I made it a priority to get a tone that was just on the verge of "breakup" 'cause that's what I like! And I made it so that I can capture it live or direct in, whatever. Thanks for noticing! Designed to "cut" without killing anyone...

As for the notes, well I was messing around pretending to be Uli Roth, Ritchie Blackmore or Yngwie Malmsteen... Haha busted me! Harmonic minor moment...

Thanks to everyone for checking out the "jam". I'm really looking forward to posting some more...

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 pm