It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:47 am

My Latest Stick Production 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post My Latest Stick Production
Hello again Stick fam! Over the last month or so I've been progressively working on my latest Stick production, and I finally finished it today. I got a lot of positive feedback on the Deadmau5 Stick remake, so I decided to go ahead a do another rendition of a more modern EDM tune. This time I chose Tommy's Theme by Noisia. Noisia are without a doubt by favorite band in existence, and I felt it was time for me to have a go at one of their tunes. I'll also be releasing a more traditional remix of this song at some point in the future. Either way this one is a free download, so go grab it and enjoy!

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Sun May 08, 2016 2:14 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: My Latest Stick Production
Hey! I thought that was very cool! Thanks for sharing, man!

Sun May 08, 2016 2:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey Toxinn.

I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for sharing.!

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun May 08, 2016 4:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Toxinn! I'm not familiar with original so I can't judge it as a cover except to say this is a well-crafted tune. I like the slow buildup to the quarter notes chords at 1:00 and then back. Your tone is exquisite here, very wide open and a nice reverb. I'm curious as to what you use in your sound--there wasn't a lot between us and your Sticking but enough (definitely reverb) to be tasty.

2:42 gets a little dark and back to quarter notes chords. Compositionally wise, I wanted a lead line over the whole thing, but I got the point here was the solo rythm repeating and expanding. Still, in my head space, there was a soaring, crying lead over the whole thing. I think it's awesome that
ToxiNN wrote:
Noisia are without a doubt by favorite band in existence, and I felt it was time for me to have a go at one of their tunes
and I've never even heard of them! I just really enjoy that kind of stuff--new discoveries are what life's about, and you obviously think they rock! And this rocked (well, a mellow rock, more a roll, then a slide to the left...) Thanks for sharing this!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun May 08, 2016 6:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

paigan0 wrote:
Toxinn! I'm not familiar with original so I can't judge it as a cover except to say this is a well-crafted tune. I like the slow buildup to the quarter notes chords at 1:00 and then back. Your tone is exquisite here, very wide open and a nice reverb. I'm curious as to what you use in your sound--there wasn't a lot between us and your Sticking but enough (definitely reverb) to be tasty.

2:42 gets a little dark and back to quarter notes chords. Compositionally wise, I wanted a lead line over the whole thing, but I got the point here was the solo rythm repeating and expanding. Still, in my head space, there was a soaring, crying lead over the whole thing. I think it's awesome that
ToxiNN wrote:
Noisia are without a doubt by favorite band in existence, and I felt it was time for me to have a go at one of their tunes
and I've never even heard of them! I just really enjoy that kind of stuff--new discoveries are what life's about, and you obviously think they rock! And this rocked (well, a mellow rock, more a roll, then a slide to the left...) Thanks for sharing this!

Hey Paigan thanks so much for the detailed feedback. As far as tone in this track goes, there are a couple key things I do to achieve that very wide, lush sound. One being as you stated, is the reverb. I use Ableton's stock reverb, and I actually quite like it a lot. There are many different instances of that plugin throughout this track, but for the most part I try to layer different reverbs together and keep the wet/dry pretty low (1.2% to 5% sort of range). This keeps the overall sound from getting too muddy. The other thing I like to do is to use a healthy amount of stereo imaging and transient shaping. There's no real special trick to those two other than to keep your lower frequencies and notes closer to center, and your higher stuff a little bit wider out.
I do highly recommend you check out Noisia, they're an astoundingly talented group of musicians. Though a lot of their stuff tends to be in the 174 BPM, extremely heavy, aggressive Drum and Bass court, they also do a ton of really cool avant-garde, progressive stuff, like Tommy's Theme.
Here's the original tune,

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Sun May 08, 2016 7:31 pm