It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Remembering a dear friend in Song - "Marcel" 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Remembering a dear friend in Song - "Marcel"
Just found an old Pic of my dear friend "Marcel", whos life was tragically lost coming home from of all places "Church" on New years eve back in 2000. A lot of people say they've done a lot but this guy had proof to back it up! At his funeral there were picture boards of times in his short lived life that had us all in awe! "Wow he really did scuba dive, he really did rescue people off of mountains.. yada .. yada!"

The attached picture shows Marcel in the very center of the pic with a rather odd looking young man getting in his way! (wow look at that black hair and skinny frame!)

Anyway so here's the piece in youtube format "audio only". This piece like all but 2 of the songs from the CD "Safe Harbor" were written and performed on Chapman stick with Bass, guitar and keyboard all performed by myself.

Hope you enjoy it! https://youtu.be/bwG25O7B81M

P.S. One quick note, when my CD came out some folks thought this was gospel music, there are no "gospel" tunes on my CD. It was intended to be a "Jazz for Jesus" CD. :)

Wed May 18, 2016 1:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Remembering a dear friend in Song - "Marcel"
Sorry for your loss. It sucks anytime friends die, but especially when it seems before their time and they still had a lot to offer the world.

The song is very nice. It kind of brought some of Tom Greisgraber's older stuff to mind. Are you the only musician? The Stick work is great! And if you are doing all the instruments, I am very impressed. Actually, I am impressed either way. It is very moving to honor the memory of people in this way.

Thanks for posting it!

Mike

Wed May 18, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks Mike, yes on this song its all me. There are a few songs that have some additional musicians on Horn, live drums vs loop and Keyboard solo on I think 2 pieces.

I appreciate your feedback!

Wed May 18, 2016 3:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sorry to hear for your loss; drunk driving takes so many people.

I enjoyed this tune. I expected it to be more mournful and contemplative, and it does start out that way. At 1:25, it picked up and got a bit funkier. I really liked the bass line there--particularly because it was carrying everything and stood out here, and then got a bit buried later.

This was very melodic throughout and very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing this one too! Nice range in tone and funk-osity between the two you posted.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed May 18, 2016 3:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I just remembered it was Marcel who first turned me on to the Stick Long before I ever touched one. We were practicing at his house one day and he told me hey have you ever heard of the group "Kittyhawk"?

Wed May 18, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery