It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

Pedal-Tone Stick Blues 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Pedal-Tone Stick Blues
RINGMOD1 wrote:
That's lovely! There's a bedrock of many potential ideas. Well done!

Jayesskerr wrote:
Nice work, dude! We talked about it in a few emails and I am so glad you posted it! Not quite "bluesy" but definitely a bit modal, I am of the opinion that it sounds really cool and aside from the title it requires no additional labeling.

I thought it sounded really cool, and it's an interesting evolution. It's kind of a travesty that you haven't gotten more views and discussion revolving around your musical ideas. The mistakes/false starts or whatever are nothing compared to the potential of this music, and a unique style that evolves from this point and moves forward. If it's a bit rough, so what? Thanks so much for sharing this, man!

Anyways, I'm a big fan so consider it stolen... :D

Thanks, guys! You both are correct that this can/will (and has) lead to many fruitful areas of exploration. I appreciate Scott sending me a video the other night where he explores a couple of 5 or 6 permutations of this technique, using different intervals and reaching across both sides of the strings. Him taking this idea and further exploring it is exactly why I share these little works and techniques in progress. Maybe he'll post it and demonstrate the possibilities. (You did all that work--show it off! At least 5 or 6 of us will enjoy it and then you can get hate mail from the other 4!)

In the spirit of providing a little more meat with my pudding ("If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!"), I've recorded 16 bars of what I'm now calling "The Purpling" (thanks, Mike!) on the 10-string Rosewood Chapman Stick, right before it gets the new mirrored fourths strings. I found a tempo--amazingly, the default 120 BPM--loaded up a blues drum track, looped it, and hit record.

Then I added some LFO-controlled molten fury to the sound and made this:

"The Purpling (first 32 bars; no bass)"

Next, I've discovered that this riff works in 3 octaves on the NS/Stick, so I'll be re-recording the thing above on the NS/Stick, then doubling it an octave down, and then tripling it a second octave down (well, some overlap between 2 and 3 octaves down, because I can't grab a fifth below that lowest I chord anymore at the G flat.) So that's the bass parts figured out.

Scott and Kris both called this my EVH "Mean Streets" type riff, and that's high praise, so I'll be agreeing with that. :shock: :oops:

Much, much more to come! Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Been working on that "molten" sound, a certain "brown" sound if you will (EVH). I am the world's biggest Eddie Van Halen fan, which is silly, because the world is full of EVH fans, and I am not even a guitarist. But I'm a big fan of his guitar--and keyboard--work. And these days, I'm pretty much a piano player in terms of keyboards sounds that I use.

But I've always been a huge fan of that pure overdriven harmonic-laden sound that used to be the sounds of tubes about ready to explode, but now is just an algorithm. This is a combo of Native Instrument's Guitar Rig, and Waves CLA for Guitars plugin. (Still no bass tracks recorded yet because Daddy's playing with his effects, mmm'kay?) :D

Then, taking the exact same Chapman Stick track but sending it through the CLA Guitars "Big Sky" patch. It's now a completely different song in feel.

The Purpling - Big Sky (32 bars; no bass)
Sample snippet...

Okay, now for bass!

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Purpling sounds awesome, man! Really good, and it sounds pretty unique! A real splash of musical colour that is both impressive and fun listening-wise. This bit is really coming along, and really reminded me of Satriani's "Midnight" or "Day at the Beach" especially in your first video of the riff, Steve. I love the gained out tones, sounded pretty complete just by itself with the drums; bass may not be required, sounds good as is in my opinion!

I am amazed and horrified that barely anyone listened or commented on this; criminally overlooked without a doubt especially considering that 1) it's really good and 2) Steve listens to and watches everybody's stuff... It's really good, guys...

Then again, not everybody is into music and talking about playing, now are they? And I suppose that taking a listen to someone's music and commenting on it doesn't really help you get skype students or sell your wares...

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scott, I gave up a long time ago on attracting the attention of anybody who teaches this thing for a living, and that's just fine! If I wanted their opinions and help, I guess I would pay them for it. I deeply appreciate anyone who stops by with either an encouraging word or some advice or a comment, or their own shared experiences. And people are busy and trying to put food on the table with the sweat of their musical brows, so I try not to beat up any of "the Pros" for not being into anything I'm doing. And I do a lot and it can be a firehose of Steve crap to wade through (fractals and piano and Sticking and tunings and videos and long rambling discussions...and politics!)

And you know I'm happy to have email conversations on the side with multiple people (and do all the time, as you who write to me know very well). And you thought I was ever-present on this site as it is? You should see all the side conversations that never make it to actual print here in Stickland!

I do get a sad when I see what awesome things are said and done on the side because most cats here at Stickland just aren't interested. I think a lot of what you and I and others discuss would help lots of new players, but it might undercut the need for people to seek out and pay for the expert help that the experts can truly give them. I'm just trying to figure shit out for me, and maybe help a brother or sister along with some advice, and also leave room for the Subject Matter Experts (who I have had Skype videos and lessons with, and who are very much worth every penny. And probably more!).

So, I welcome any comments or interest but I also know that those who like me and my stuff will comment and those who don't, won't. No big whoop. Truly.

I have nothing but love and respect for any of the "Stick Masters" who make a living Sticking. I appreciate what they've shared with me, and I buy their wares and videos to be supportive, but I do that with the non-pros and their Band Camp releases and whatnot as well. I've probably bought a track, CD, or book from every major Stickist on this forum, or contributed to their Go Fund Me fundraisers. I do not demand or even expect any reciprocity. I'm not here to shame anyone or scold anyone. So I won't. I buy your shit because it's good, because I like it, and because I want to be supportive (in that order). I do not expect or demand anything in return.

And even the Stick Masters have made comments and contributed thoughts and impressions and "Atta Boys" from time to time and it always makes my day. It truly does. I don't want that to stop by complaining about not getting enough attention. This is a work in progress. It'll be awesome when it's done, I plan to do a full "live" performance video of it whatever it becomes, and at that point people can chime in. Not everyone wants to or can wade in on the creative process, as much as I dig the hell out of all that.

I'll still be here, still over-sharing and rocking it out. Come along for the ride or not--I'll still be cruising! :ugeek:

Stevie Paigan

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

lol All good; I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad or anything; we're all free to do what we like, pretty much guilt free (Unless one is talking about tuning the bass side of the instrument to maj 3rds, THAT could get ugly bahahaha) Sell yer wares, go for it. Promote your lessons, by all means. Let us know about your gigs, absolutely... I am totally cool with it, and hope it never ends...

I am just saying it would be nice to see folks get a bit more excited about some music from time to time, that's all... Y'know, put the thinking caps on, share a riff, someone build on the riff and share their version of it, another person modifies it, transposes it, plays the same thing in a different tuning, scores it etc etc... It might inspire someone... It could be cool...

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
am just saying it would be nice to see folks get a bit more excited about some music from time to time, that's all... Y'know, put the thinking caps on, share a riff, someone build on the riff and share their version of it, another person modifies it, transposes it, plays the same thing in a different tuning, scores it etc etc... It might inspire someone... It could be cool...

In Creative Writing Land, we call that "Fostering a creative environment," or "something that creative people do when they get together to be creative." Or just when they get together.

And since it's pretty much just you and me, I guess who cares if I hijack my own thread to talk about Stickland and Stickists? :D

But there are cross purposes going on here. There are Stick performers and giggers making a living doing that (not too many on this forum that I can name. But a good handful at least.) There are those of us who teach Stickists for a living, and those of us who pay those teachers to teach us Sticking, and then there are those of us who do some of both, and also neither. The "neither" crowd says "We like Sticks, we like to make Stick music, we like to talk to other Stickists (who make music and play music) about the music we play and are making." Those who teach rarely comment on the creative side but will dip in (especially) when one of their students have posted a performance video--that, more than likely, the teacher and student were working on together. And 9 times out of 10 it will be a cover, not an original, because who the hell starts making their own music the second they pick up a Stick? (Other than apparently you and me Scott, or at least, we're the only ones talking about it).

But the teachers usually stay out of the creative stuff. Unless it's theirs, and then the students of course must respond and say how awesome Sensei's Sticking is (and it usually is. Stick teachers are awesome, or no one would be paying them money for their skills and knowledge.) Stick performers, on the other hand, are usually very generous with their praise and comments. Not so much the teachers.

So I realized this dynamic a bit ago and stopped being hurt that none of the teachers ever stopped by. That's not why they're here. And I should not be so needy as to need their validation and approval. Or PERMISSION. That took a long time to learn, at least out loud in my head, instead of just a gut feeling. I'd actually rather have the "approval" and interest of the fulltime performers than the teachers. Many teachers around here are my Facebook and real-life friends, who I cheer on and encourage and value. But I also know they ain't gonna do shit to help my own music along if I'm not their student. That's their job and I am not willing to fund them to assist me. It ain't personal. Just business.

Sorry for that too-honest rant. I'm a teacher myself, just not to other Stickists. But I also encourage and teach creative writing and have read many, many, many things that my non-students have asked me to comment on. I will always try to be supportive, even if--especially if--you aren't my student. And if you suck. Because students get better and are often their own best teachers if you'd just give them some encouragement. And it's impossible to suck forever. It just is. Anyone who spends enough time and personal interest on anything cannot possibly continue to SUCK unless they QUIT. No one ever got worse spending more time on something. Quitting's easy, but sucking forever is really hard.

Okay, back to music. :oops:

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

hehehe Steve takes a trip to "Loseit-sville"

All good, I am not too broke up about it;I play with real humans all the time, so if folks on a message board don't want to talk music stuff, that's fine. Just expressing my opinion that it's kind of sad is all...

Me personally, I love checking out what everybody does - it's the only reason I come to this forum. Lots of great players and musicians who sometimes post music. :D

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The Purpling Update (NS/Stick bass and percussion added)

I had to cough up a lung this morning with asthma (thanks, Detroit!) and have a sick day. I spent the day in the studio coughing but also rocking it out on the NS/Stick. I recorded this little riff in 3 octaves, but decided to only use the lowest NS/Stick "bass" register. The middle and high riffs on the NS/S are muted and turned off. I decided to use the Rosewood ACTV2 lines for the "guitar" parts, and the NS/Stick lines (all pickups summed to mono) on the bass sound. Then I added real percussion, instead of the 4-bar loop.

"The Purpling" is almost finished! Chapman Stick on the melody side, and NS/Stick for the bass, this Purple Puppy is about done. Now it needs vocals, and maybe a fat analog synth solo. A 4-handed Stick jam work-in-progress!

I've already recorded video of me playing all the parts. So this is gonna be a rocking video once I finally figure out where it ends up...

Man, I hate doing vocals! Until they're done, which is rare, and then they take a song to the next level and actually make it a "song" instead of a "piece" (of crap). Lots of studio work ahead and I guess I better write me some lyrics! 8-)

Yoroshiku! Cheers!

The Purpling (Perc)

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1/the-purpling-perc

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quite awesome! I'm a big fan of your works, keep 'emcoming!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Did a little more work on the ending, and I'll update the SoundCloud file later.

I burned it to a CD and listened to it on the way in to work. I tried to sing along to it. It's actually nicely in my very limited vocal range, which may not be coincidental, in that I feel like I'm "singing" when I compose pieces anyway. And, unlike piano, I could care less what key I'm in on Stick. I selected a spot that I could reach well with my pinky somewhat further down where the frets were a little closer. It turned out to be G flat.

I had some quick vocal ideas already. The car is such an awesome place to cut loose vocally. No one can hear you, the acoustics are great, the sound system is great, and you can drive and rock it out.

But my follow-through rate on vocals is really small and shitty. I have such big ideas for vocals and I rarely follow through. Having a noisy studio is usually my excuse for not recording vocals, but I've taken some step to address that, and built a vocal isolation closet, surrounded by felt moving blankets. I have yet to put it to good use. This should be that excuse.

I feel like back in grad school when I knew that I had to write a 20-page report on something that I had not even done research on. I knew that in 60 hours or so, I would have a complete, awesome paper that was cogent, and logical, and well-researched and well-argued. But sitting here now, I had no idea what that paper would be. I just knew that I had the ability, the drive, and the sheer desperate need to make it all happen. Feels real similar right now thinking I have a whole song to make, that could ruin what seems like a pretty good start. Or take it to the next level.

"Get started on it, and then over-achieving will take over." It's not a Sink's Law (yet), but it can be Today's Pithy Thought. "Beginnings and Ending are easy; it's the Middle Parts that hold it all together that are a Bitch" is one of my Laws, however. Holds true with writing fiction or music.

For Prog Rocking, I think beginnings and endings are the easy part--it's writing the damn song that's hard. Intros and outros are easy-peasy; Epilogues and Postludes are the same. Writing the damn novel/song is hard work.

Diamond David Lee Roth could do this over cocktails at a strip club; Red Rocker Sammy probably does this between morning margaritas. This was the whole reason I used to put up with asshole singer front men.

"But the music is done, and waiting for your song about cars, guitars, women, and partying, Mr. Lee Roth....if you could put down that bottle/pipe/bong/nose-straw/woman and start working on vocal lines...."

"The Purpling" would end up being something very dirty in DLR's hands. Probably Sammy's too. And who cares about Gary Cherone or whoever...

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery