It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am




Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Giant Steps - Stick Version 
Author Message
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3134
Post Giant Steps - Stick Version
Well, I did a tune on Friday, so now I'm doing one today (Saturday!)

Here's a tune I have been fond of for quite some time, I kind of threw it together in two steps this morning; The head with a Steve Adelson-ish bass compass inspired line (Again, one of the ways I practice trying to accompany EVERY tune I work on/practice) I recorded it as I read that down, and then I did the solo bit separately, with a much more simplified bass-line (I'm not quite at the point where I can fly over 'walk' type lines like that). So yeah, although I played my parts simultaneously, I took a break between the execution of the head, and the solo. Tricky stuff.

Anyways, I hope you get a kick out of it, the solo had me trying to be a bit random... Definitely better versions of this tune out there, still it was fun and I hope y'all dig it. Lemme know what y'all think, eh?


https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-giantsteps

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 am
Profile
Site Donor
Site Donor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 am
Posts: 938
Location: Portugal
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Now that was seriously cool! I was thinking, this alone would probably make an amazing exercise for the left hand. Navigating different keys and scales on the left hand while the right one is doing a melody. Thanks Scott!


Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

_________________
Rodrigo Serrao

https://www.facebook.com/rodrig0serrao
http://www.rodrigoserrao.com


Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, AU
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
I don't see the point in learning this song unless you're going to play the changes.

Think more like a keyboard player and get both hands around this. Compass bass in this context is totally unmusical will ultimately hold you back.

_________________
Stickrad

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/


Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3134
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Stickrad wrote:
I don't see the point in learning this song unless you're going to play the changes.

Think more like a keyboard player and get both hands around this. Compass bass in this context is totally unmusical will ultimately hold you back.



lol Thanks for listening; you're probably right. I am thinking though that I'd rather try and work on a piece by a great musician and fail, as opposed to not trying it at all. I did play the appropriate changes; the right chords are there, during the head its R235 sequence, and then during the solo it's just root notes. The best I could do in the time available! All good, at least we're talking about music...
So yeah, I played Giant Steps poorly...

*Checks wallet for "fucks". Hmmmn. Not a "fuck" to be seen. Checks pockets. None there either. Uh-oh, not a fuck to be had or given.

At least I played it.

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3134
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
lol And no worries, I'm not mad or offended or anything; all good. hehehehe funny.

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile
Online
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 415
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
I'd love to see a transcription of the left hand on the head. Those arpeggios are slick.

_________________
-Josh

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus


Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 pm
Profile
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, AU
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Hi Jaye.

I'm glad you didn't find any fucks. My comment was a "tell us how you really feel" post.

Honesty between musicians is essential. As you said, you made your own decision about it. I'm still glad no fucks were found.

_________________
Stickrad

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/


Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, AU
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Hey.

I've been really enjoying Rick Beato's vids. I'm sure you'll fin this entertaining in the least.

Love your relentless nature Jayeskerr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoYVO0kPMs

_________________
Stickrad

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/


Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3134
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Stickrad wrote:
Hi Jaye.

I'm glad you didn't find any fucks. My comment was a "tell us how you really feel" post.

Honesty between musicians is essential. As you said, you made your own decision about it. I'm still glad no fucks were found.


Lol hey, I'm just glad somebody took a sec to listen to it. I am thinking that it's always a good practice to shoot for the stars, even if one only hits the moon. I am well aware of the shortcomings of the piece I played, and in no way do I think it's as good as John Coltrane's playing (nobody's is). Why, I just used it as a framework for practice yesterday morning, and I thought it would be fun to record and share! Some folks won't like it, or 'get' it. That's ok. Still no fuck to be given about that.

But...
Honesty between musicians? Lol are you for real, man? Bahaha You think I am a musician? bahahahahaha I guess the joke is on you, fella... funny...

Still, in regards to message board posting...

I really like a "tell us how you really feel" style of posting on message boards, it's best served with absolutely no positive feedback whatsoever, and a condescending tone, delivered from someone who probably can't play even my dogshit version of the piece! I can't wait to do my own version of a "tell us how you really feel" type post on some dumbfounded dipshit's painstakingly misguided efforts towards evolving his/her playing! Heck, I will be sure to even show how it could be done better on guitar, complete with a scathing harmonic analysis, an elitist attitude, and a proper arrangement. And if said dipshit has the bravery to get behind a kit and play drums to their piece, OMG will THAT be the beginning of an annihilation! Or violin, or bass or dare to add guitar or lap steel or even midi loops! Musical evisceration if they dare to even begin to attempt a bit of music and share it! I won't care if it's Stanley Jordan himself,I will go fucking Dalek on the next hopeful Stick/tapping attemptee who has the audacity to share some playing, 'cause THAT IS BAD! WE don't want that sort of thing here! Bahaha

Naw, just kidding! I actually really like music, and like it a lot when people try their best so I will just keep on doing what I do. I am a big fan of the Chapman Stick, and I understand how challenging it is to learn to play this thing, 'cause I am a lifelong music student.

And we wonder why the forum is dead, people think Stickists are elitist pricks, and the classifieds section is filled with people ditching their brand new tapping gear?

Hahaha damned entertaining... y'all can go back to levelling up your Druid or whatever now bahahaha

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 am
Profile
Online
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 415
Post Re: Giant Steps - Stick Version
Quote:
I really like a "tell us how you really feel" style of posting on message boards, it's best served with absolutely no positive feedback whatsoever, and a condescending tone, delivered from someone who probably can't play even my dogshit version of the piece! I can't wait to do my own version of a "tell us how you really feel" type post on some dumbfounded dipshit's painstakingly misguided efforts towards evolving his/her playing! Heck, I will be sure to even show how it could be done better on guitar, complete with a scathing harmonic analysis, an elitist attitude, and a proper arrangement. And if said dipshit has the bravery to get behind a kit and play drums to their piece, OMG will THAT be the beginning of an annihilation! Or violin, or bass or dare to add guitar or lap steel or even midi loops! Musical evisceration if they dare to even begin to attempt a bit of music and share it! I won't care if it's Stanley Jordan himself,I will go fucking Dalek on the next hopeful Stick/tapping attemptee who has the audacity to share some playing, 'cause THAT IS BAD! WE don't want that sort of thing here! Bahaha

Naw, just kidding! I actually really like music, and like it a lot when people try their best so I will just keep on doing what I do. I am a big fan of the Chapman Stick, and I understand how challenging it is to learn to play this thing, 'cause I am a lifelong music student.

And we wonder why the forum is dead, people think Stickists are elitist pricks, and the classifieds section is filled with people ditching their brand new tapping gear?

Hahaha damned entertaining... y'all can go back to levelling up your Druid or whatever now bahahaha


lol what?

_________________
-Josh

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus


Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:56 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The_Afro_Circus and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

board3 Portal - based on phpBB3 Portal Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.
Heavily modified by Stickist.com. Stickist.com is an authorized Chapman Stick® site. The Chapman Stick® and NS/Stick™ and their marks are federally registered trademarks exclusively licensed to Stick Enterprises, Inc., and are used on Stickist.com and NSstickist.com with SEI's permission.
Click here for more information.