It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

Stick Tune - Owner Of a Lonely Heart 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick Tune - Owner Of a Lonely Heart
I slammed this one out today after practice, trying to alternate fingers on those repeating notes, lots of work to be done, but this was done pretty quickly today; I just read down a section and hit record like I always do... Sure, there's stuff that needs some love, and yep as always there's tons to be worked on. Still, I thought I'd share it with y'all. Lemme know whatcha think, eh?

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-owner-of-a-lonely-heart

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stick Tune - Owner Of a Lonely Heart
Oh! I Like this one a lot!

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thats a great idea Scott, You should really keep going with that, ( who am I to suggest what you should play :o ) but it would be a cracker to do live with a big sound . Thanks , off to youtube to watch the original. :D

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ooh, a Yes song! I love this tune. Nicely done!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey guys, (Bruce, Steve) thanks for checking it out! As usual, I put this together pretty quickly. It was literally an "end of the practice" thing I did where I hit record while I read down some stuff.
It's fun, and it's getting easier and easier to put these together. This one was one of those tunes with a definite "riff" that gets played throughout the song. The rhythmic displacement can be a bit whacky...

Admittedly, these quick little tunes aren't perfect; they are simple "Muzak" type renditions of tunes that are played and performed very quickly so that I could get in the habit of learning a 'basic' tune quickly. The bare minimum of a tune a day, to a very basic standard. It's taken a lot of work, but I think I'm in a good position to really start learning...

I practice a lot of reading, but I also have about 8 Bass "systems" that I transpose both diatonically within whatever key I am working on, and throughout all 12 keys. I really thought long and hard about these "systems" - they form the basis for pretty much every accompaniment method I use. And then, there is about 50 Melody side "counter-systems" which get transposed throughout whatever key I am working on. Lots of simple scale and arpeggio stuff, chord stabs, interval sequences and rhythmic stuff. It gives me a lot of stuff to leverage when I'm working out a new tune. Y'know, kind of a "luck favours the prepared" kind of thing...
It's a methodology kind of inspired from the "new breed" book that a lot of drummers study from.

I do have a "project piece" or two that I'm working on, also.

Thanks again for checking it out! I'm glad you dug it! :D

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

This is pretty rad. This is the way you get really good really fast, you just do it. You're finding all those sweet spots in the left hand too, very nice. While I had mixed emotions about Yes getting back together back in the day (they wanted to get rich like Steve Howe did in Asia), I still enjoy the feelings I get when I hear this song.

My 2 cents, for all the poo-poo-doo it's worth is, explore bringing the hands together more. The tuning in the melody side might be a bit wide,of course, none of that matter as it's done, and it's a huge win. Getting the melody down, outlining the bass and chords in the left hand and playing with confidence are my starting points. At some point, probably not very far away, you'll be able to apply these principles to any song you set your mind to.

Although, I think you are already doing that. :D

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Pretty cool Scott. I've been catching up on your posts and listening to the tunes you're doing. You are really progressing nicely! I was drafting on your coattails but you are pulling away!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

RandO wrote:
Pretty cool Scott. I've been catching up on your posts and listening to the tunes you're doing. You are really progressing nicely! I was drafting on your coattails but you are pulling away!

Thanks for checking it out, Rand - I am at pretty much the same level I ever was, I just found a methodology that works for me to learn tunes a lot more efficiently. No more toiling for months, and then still making dumb errors all over the place. Haha now when I make an error it's because I was either "not paying attention" while I was playing (Happens a lot, haha I get daydreaming while I play) or 'cause I'm reading something WAY above my ability on the fly...
The instrument is a lot of fun to play and practice, I now feel like I truly am moving forward after each and every practice session, be it 5 minutes or 5 hours. The Stick rules.

earthgene wrote:
This is pretty rad. This is the way you get really good really fast, you just do it. You're finding all those sweet spots in the left hand too, very nice. While I had mixed emotions about Yes getting back together back in the day (they wanted to get rich like Steve Howe did in Asia), I still enjoy the feelings I get when I hear this song.

My 2 cents, for all the poo-poo-doo it's worth is, explore bringing the hands together more. The tuning in the melody side might be a bit wide,of course, none of that matter as it's done, and it's a huge win. Getting the melody down, outlining the bass and chords in the left hand and playing with confidence are my starting points. At some point, probably not very far away, you'll be able to apply these principles to any song you set your mind to.

Although, I think you are already doing that. :D

Big thanks for the kind words, Gene! And another big thank-you for a pointer! It means a lot to me that you would take the time to not only listen, but also comment.

I really feel that I have finally gotten to a point where I can not only "kind of" play, but truly begin to learn on this instrument. I know all my chords, got all of my scales down, can sight-read pretty decently, and can improvise a bit with both hands together/hands separate. Got some basic tools in the toolbox so to speak... :D Y'know, Someone could show me a lick or a riff or something and I wouldn't be fumbling around looking for an 'Eb' or whatever... And that makes learning stuff a lot less overwhelming.

(Yes Rocks, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em!)

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

This is nice. I think the only thing I really miss is the double-time fill in unison in the box shape. (GACDCAG if I'm in the right key). For the complexity of Yes, this is a good one-person take.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

sagehalo wrote:
This is nice. I think the only thing I really miss is the double-time fill in unison in the box shape. (GACDCAG if I'm in the right key). For the complexity of Yes, this is a good one-person take.

:D All good, haha it is what what it is, I liked the tune and thought I'd take a stab at playing it. I think that if I were to get serious about the song I'd try to nail all of the parts and capture the tune in more detail. This was like a sketch... thanks for checking it out, though!

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:23 am