It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 am

Another "Rough Stick Riff" Video and a support question 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Another "Rough Stick Riff" Video and a support question
:D Here's a jam I put together this morning to kind of illustrate some issues I am having; The RH is playing a repeating figure, no problem... The LH, though is doing some moves in F# Harmonic Minor that I'd LIKE to maybe double up the tempo on or modify rhythmically a bit, but alas my thumbs are busy holding up the Stick, so they kind of get exhausted pretty quick which not only limits my speed and rhythmic control, it also really puts a cap on how long I can play for in one pass... lol One tune makes my hand kind of tired when I play seated...

(Sorry about the terrible riff! :) )

Open to ideas, leaning heavily towards a tag interface and a Chapman chair...

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:02 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Another "Rough Stick Riff" Video and a support question
I have no "Underdogs" left over or I'd gladly send you one for trial and comments. Mike Johnstone did the first production and he may still have one for reference. All I have is my first prototype, a simple version made of plywood.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Do you use a Lap Dawg? I thought I gathered that you did. I use one on a bamboo grand and it balances quite well (and without the shoulder strap) plus the center of gravity is low enough that I can take both hands off of it and it will stay put for several seconds before it begins to fall out of its vertical position forward or backward so I never feel like my thumbs are holding it in place. Without any conscious effort - just the natural process of playing keeps it upright and balanced.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Scott.
Your Stick is at quite an acute angle to the normal axis of your body. I use the the word acute very loosely.....( I am aware it means less than 90 degrees)....if I were to measure the angle from your sternum to the face of your Stick I would say it's around 125 degrees. What I'm trying to say is that, judging from video alone, your Stick is angled so much toward the inside of your body that it looks almost impossible to play......I'm no expert, so grain of salt is required please.

Thumbs should never support the Stick IMHO....

Again, just my take on technique.

Cheers,
Kev

Ps
That wrist bend is sapping your mad skillz bro.....it appears to be 90 degrees from the forearm.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yep. Both arms, wrists, hands should come in equally straight and relaxed. Only changing angles to align hand geometry to chord shapes. Instrument should be balanced and as close to vertical as possible. This I got from watching the masters. Others may successfully disagree of course...

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hmmm, well crap. :D No shortage of things to work on, haha
Standing is a lot more comfortable, and there's definitely a lot less twisting around the instrument than when seated, but some of the stuff I am playing is kind of hard to reach with elbows out, I did try it for quite a while last year but man, my arms/shoulders would get kind of sore. I am actually really fit so playing music shouldn't hurt more than working out, right?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
Do you use a Lap Dawg? I thought I gathered that you did. I use one on a bamboo grand and it balances quite well (and without the shoulder strap) plus the center of gravity is low enough that I can take both hands off of it and it will stay put for several seconds before it begins to fall out of its vertical position forward or backward so I never feel like my thumbs are holding it in place. Without any conscious effort - just the natural process of playing keeps it upright and balanced.

Jeez, I DO use a lap dawg, but there is no way that the Stick will stay up for several seconds before falling... not for me, anyways... It leads me to believe that perhaps I am not perhaps using it correctly? Seems pretty straightforward... but perhaps photos of how you use it would help?

I remember when I first got my lap dawg with my Wenge Grand, man did that help a lot! It really did...

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:34 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Solved this, thanks to Emmett, KevC, RobG and Josh and poring over some Bob C videos...

Looks like the instrument when seated was quite a bit lower for those guys. Plus, Captain Strings mention of being able to leave the Stick unsupported really got me thinking... I gotta reposition the belt hook so that I can put the Lap Dawg in where it's supposed to be...

Step one, change the belt hook position so that the Lap Dawg goes into the very top two screw holes. This IMMEDIATELY gave me better balancing of the instrument, and like Captain Strings said, it balances for a sec on it's own.

Step two The saddles of the instrument, the very bottom is now low enough when seated for me to "block" it with my right calf. No belt hook or shoulder strap required.

Step 3 Now my elbows can come out and my thumbs are "free" - I'm already up 3 notches on the 'ole metronome markings. Cool.

Thanks for putting up with the dumb kid. I think I may still pick up an Underdawg and a Tagg Interface...

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:09 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BSharp wrote:
I have no "Underdogs" left over or I'd gladly send you one for trial and comments. Mike Johnstone did the first production and he may still have one for reference. All I have is my first prototype, a simple version made of plywood.

Emmett, you are the best.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm