It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 8 posts ] 
 Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous) 
Author Message
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3193
Post Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
The musical reign of terror continues! :D

I had to try this tune out, plus it helps me continue destroying the forum with Stick music, so that's cool...

I was trying to get all of the guitar parts in there for the verse and the chorus as best I could while playing the melody. Ummm, the time is a bit loose particularly in the verse part - I had a weird "hand cross" issue, so I ended up doing that part with the RH on the bass side and the LH on the melody. It just worked out better for me at the time. Oh, and I didn't do the cool Kim Thayil solo (A bit down the road technique-wise for me I think) And I kind of petered out/got confused (I hate sightreading from tab books, I wish I could get notation only copies hahah)

Big thanks to Josh Goldberg and Boaz for posting killer versions on this tune for inspiration. I'm a big Soundgarden/Cornell fan so this was a tune I had to try...

16 minutes, sightread the damn thing down from my "current alternative" book (Which is, like totally not current bahaha)

Oh, and I ended on a Cmaj #11 chord, not in the tune, but I thought it'd be a cool "end" chord to cut the thing short!

Anyways, if you want to hear this played well, go check out Josh and Boaz's version. In the meantime, allow me to burn your ears out...

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-black-hole-sun


_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:33 pm
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3193
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
Some fun facts about this one;

1) I used octaves for the chorus. I think that it really helps add some power to a section that one wants to sound and feel 'distinct' from the rest of the tune.

2) I played "hands uncrossed" for the verse section. It felt really weird, and isn't a way I normally play, but it was the best way to keep the hands from crashing, as they were both in the same position. It really made for some "loose" parts in that section rhythmically...

3) I tried my utmost to play Kim Thayil's rhythm parts as faithfully as possible. Hence, I used pretty much the same voicings him and Chris did.

:D So does it work? I don't know. This isn't a presentation of a finished, polished piece of music. Rather, it's a "capture" of some practicing. Take a listen, let me know what you think.
It was fun to put together, that's the main thing.

And hey, if so inclined y'all could head over to the "2017 Collaboration thread" in "Announcements" and see about submitting a small chunk of music - it would be cool to have you!

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:28 am
Posts: 763
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
Octaves cool ! Just got round to listening, day 1 on the ship has been about as much fun a s flying to the sun with wax wings. :x
Your output in amazing, will try and get something done for the collaboration as soon as the dust settles or explodes here. Cheers . B

_________________
http://www.cloudburstz.com

www.facebook.com/brucejacques.stick

10 String Standard -Shedua wood #290
Dark Bamboo ALTO - # 6068
Gorgeous Maple Grand With PASV 4 & MIDI
www.youtube.com/mrpiratebruce


Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:03 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
Hey Jayesskerr, very cool arrangement of Black Hole Sun, love the intriguing bass/chordal counterpoint to the melody. Thank you for sharing. I presently do not own a Stick (yet), but I am absorbing all of the information and musical inspiration I can while I prepare to get my first Stick. Thank you for the inspiration Jayesskerr! And Happy Thanksgiving!


Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 am
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3193
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
piratebruce wrote:
Octaves cool ! Just got round to listening, day 1 on the ship has been about as much fun a s flying to the sun with wax wings. :x
Your output in amazing, will try and get something done for the collaboration as soon as the dust settles or explodes here. Cheers . B


Flying to the sun with wax wings, what a great idea! - In concept! Haha but yes, it sounds like not very much fun. Hopefully, day 2 of the ship is a much better experience.

As far as my "output" goes, it's just me hitting "record" at the end of a practice session. No big whup, Just having fun - thanks for checking it out!

I can't wait to see/hear what you do for the collaboration. Gonna be cool!

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 am
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3193
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
BillyLee wrote:
Hey Jayesskerr, very cool arrangement of Black Hole Sun, love the intriguing bass/chordal counterpoint to the melody. Thank you for sharing. I presently do not own a Stick (yet), but I am absorbing all of the information and musical inspiration I can while I prepare to get my first Stick. Thank you for the inspiration Jayesskerr! And Happy Thanksgiving!


Hey! Thanks for checking it out! And also thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! The funny thing is that I literally played pretty much the exact same guitar parts on the bass side, and then the vocal over top. I also included the intro "solo". So any "counterpoint-ness" comes naturally by just playing the tune. Lots of fun, tapping is a neat way to play music. :D

You know, even though you don't have a Stick just yet there are some really great tappers out there who play guitar... Stanley Jordan is really, really, really good. Adam Fulara and his fullX trio is awesome, so is Chris Broderick. Heck, Joe Satriani has a cool tapping thing on pretty much every album (Midnight, Day at the Beach) Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen do lots of cool stuff. Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm, Less Claypool and Michael Manring... Check 'em out, lots of great playing, all on YouTube!

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:19 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:28 am
Posts: 763
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
Jayesskerr wrote:
BillyLee wrote:

You know, even though you don't have a Stick just yet there are some really great tappers out there who play guitar... Stanley Jordan is really, really, really good. Adam Fulara and his fullX trio is awesome, so is Chris Broderick. Heck, Joe Satriani has a cool tapping thing on pretty much every album (Midnight, Day at the Beach) Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen do lots of cool stuff. Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm, Less Claypool and Michael Manring... Check 'em out, lots of great playing, all on YouTube!


Thanks for the reminder Scott, clean forgot about Satch's Midnight & Day at the beach, and....I just found day at the beach on my Mac. Learnt that one years ago, it wasn't as hard as i thought though I've long forgotten it. Might be a listen to joe on the ship night , Thanks ! :D

_________________
http://www.cloudburstz.com

www.facebook.com/brucejacques.stick

10 String Standard -Shedua wood #290
Dark Bamboo ALTO - # 6068
Gorgeous Maple Grand With PASV 4 & MIDI
www.youtube.com/mrpiratebruce


Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3193
Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
piratebruce wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
BillyLee wrote:

You know, even though you don't have a Stick just yet there are some really great tappers out there who play guitar... Stanley Jordan is really, really, really good. Adam Fulara and his fullX trio is awesome, so is Chris Broderick. Heck, Joe Satriani has a cool tapping thing on pretty much every album (Midnight, Day at the Beach) Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen do lots of cool stuff. Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm, Less Claypool and Michael Manring... Check 'em out, lots of great playing, all on YouTube!


Thanks for the reminder Scott, clean forgot about Satch's Midnight & Day at the beach, and....I just found day at the beach on my Mac. Learnt that one years ago, it wasn't as hard as i thought though I've long forgotten it. Might be a listen to joe on the ship night , Thanks ! :D



Joe rocks! Maybe his tapping isn't the same as a Stickist's, but holy crap has he sold an album or two, and influenced 5 or 6 guitar players...

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

board3 Portal - based on phpBB3 Portal Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.
Heavily modified by Stickist.com. Stickist.com is an authorized Chapman Stick® site. The Chapman Stick® and NS/Stick™ and their marks are federally registered trademarks exclusively licensed to Stick Enterprises, Inc., and are used on Stickist.com and NSstickist.com with SEI's permission.
Click here for more information.