It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

First International Councilor's video up 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post First International Councilor's video up
Hi everyone,

I finally have the first of several videos up from our Nov 23rd show. It's a mix of very different cameras, so I apologize in advance for the quality of "camera 2."

I start off on the bamboo sax, but switch over to the SG-12 about four minutes in.

We're basically an "African-influenced jam band"

Anyway, hope you like it. Any and all comments welcome. More to come.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkDeYoFtaE[/youtube]

URL for RSS feed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OkDeYoFtaE

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: First International Councilor's video up
Greg- WOW! This is Great!!! I remember just seeing you, Darrell, & Matt at the Gravity Lounge and what a sound that was- but this really fills it out. It is nice to see you stretch "out" ( "he was so out, he was in"- Fred Flintstone) on the Bamboo Sax, and then the SG-12, on the reggae section, is in the right harmonic pocket to what everything else is doing. very clean, crisp and all instruments are in their place. The best part is seeing live musicians communicating and feeding off of each other's ideas.

Darrell is a real joy to listen to and to watch. I remember him playing small burlap square sacks filled with beans, but tossing them high in the air and catching them on the beat, then tossing them back up in a criss cross fashion, all while playing patterns on the congos.

It is great there is a venue like the Gravity Lounge that allows music like this to be heard, and great musicians like yourselves to perform and to carry on the true spirit of music.
kudos to you and the band,
dave brosky- Pittsburgh
PS: Is that Bamboo Mark VI Alto? :D

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg: awesome! This was very cool. Thanks for sharing. I like the percusion at 4:12.

I have been trying to figure out the quintessential african guitar sound on my mando and was considering inquiring if anyone had done it on the stick. I can't get it.

I am also a huge Fela Kuti fan (among everything else). Ever try afrobeat on the stick? It would seem that it would translate very well.

Rob

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Isn't the quintessential African guitar sound produced by two interlocking parts? It seems like Stickists would naturally be into Franco and his TPOK Jazz and Thomas Mapfumo for that reason.

Incidentally, I saw Fela in '86 at the Olympic Auditorium in LA...second best musical experience of my life. 20 musicians dancing while playing five one-hour tunes--the packed house stayed for the whole thing and hundreds danced for an hour in the parking lot afterward.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sorry Greg...slightly off topic again...

MM: Fela live--I am so envious. I saw Femi Kuti at the boulder theatre and it is in my top shows! I think there were five encores. I went with a friend who's fam is Nigerian and he and his cousin ended up on stage with the backup singers.

The 'African guitar sound' was a very vague term. A rather fast youtube search to explain the sound I'm after on the mando...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYi89cvr3w

I would love to hear any afrobeat on the stick.

Rob

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery