It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How is your Improvising? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: How is your Improvising?
carvingcode wrote:
If you take a listen to the early Bebop era, much of the music and improv was built on the same basic chord changes. "I've Got Rhythm" was a very popular piece for them to borrow changes from. So the players could get together, knowing the changes, etc., they were pretty free to explore the improv. Unless you spent time analyzing this music, you may not know its underlying simplicity.

:D Well, I did take a history of Jazz class in about '93. We had to study, analyze and play it. I play a variety of styles, just not on Stick. I am new to the Stick, still finding my way.

I guess it's like the blues, right? Some folks think it's easy, when in reality the difference between a real bluesman and some wanker noodling pentatonic licks over a I Iv V is almost painful to behold... Every genre has it's nuances, and I would argue that most styles come from humble beginnings...

I'm just saying that I'd like to work on inserting some space, give myself some room to think and make statements musically that aren't fighting with each other for dominance. When I play a guitar solo, I absolutely hate it when every bit of space rhythmically is "taken". That's my deal, anyways.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Miles was great at playing the spaces between. Bassist Eberhard Weber also.

So far, I’ve not come across a Stick player that is not busy playing notes. [emoji3]

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

carvingcode wrote:

So far, I’ve not come across a Stick player that is not busy playing notes. [emoji3]

:D Well, I definitely don't pretend to think that I'll ever be in that class of player, but it's worth the effort to try to get better!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
carvingcode wrote:

:D Well, I definitely don't pretend to think that I'll ever be in that class of player, but it's worth the effort to try to get better!

Sorry, I wasn't throwing shade on you or anyone else. My own Stick playing is very rudimentary.

I was commenting on your mention of wanting to add some space into your improv. I gave a couple examples (out of many) and mentioned, for reference, that I couldn't really provide examples of Stick players that I've come across who would fit in the list. There are many great Stick players, of course.

OK, I think I'm digging a deeper hole. Should stop now. :D

Rosewood Alto #5764

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol No, I didn't take your remarks as derogatory (I too am a pretty rudimentary player) at all.

And I have nothing against practicing arpeggio sequences as a backtrack for song melodies - I do it all the time! Again, I just want to develop something "different" accompaniment-wise that allows me to stretch out and maybe do something that sounds a bit different.

:D

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

carvingcode wrote:

Not to toot my own horn or tap my own Stick, but sometimes I can not play notes as well as almost anyone in history! Like, for example, when the great Paganini broke his pinky, and for like 2 months, didn't play the most beautiful and haunting melodies and notes the world had never seen. I mean, heard. Well, I did the same thing, but I only used one hand to not play the notes instead of two. And at doubletime!

I remember this recital at Carnegie Hall that I wasn't at, just a couple of years ago. The notes I didn't play made almost everyone cry, or at least made them blink repeatedly several times throughout the night.

I once did this complex Phillip Glass song at double speed, and instead of taking 4 and a half minutes or so (4:33), it only took me 2 minutes and 15 seconds. I kind of flubbed a long glissando by not not playing all the notes but it was hopefully buried in everything else that was not going on at the time.

Sometimes I don't even need to plug in my Sticks, or even have a Stick. I just visualize really hard the notes I'm not playing. Sometimes my eyes aren't even open and I do it completely without looking! Or even being awake!

Well, I have some practice to not do before I can finally get them notes to ring out just perfectly with the sound of their silence. :D

I keed! Just messing with you, Randy. Of course! Just having some fun at work where I can practice my not playing all day long and get a paycheck.

--Rocking it in, and not out, so only I can hear it,
Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Steve you kill me. That was hilarious. So what im getting is less is more. That’s a great tip leave space. Let the solo breathe.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve, that WAS hilarious, haha awesome.

All killer, no filler is my goal...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Stick is a very generous instrument for improvisation, as you may improvise several parts instantly - bass, harmony, melody. When you do that on the Stick, you are actually improvisation orchestration. And that is really cool.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
The Stick is a very generous instrument for improvisation, as you may improvise several parts instantly - bass, harmony, melody. When you do that on the Stick, you are actually improvisation orchestration. And that is really cool.

While looking for something else entirely I came across this interesting old topic.

I really like the above quote Per. It captures much about why I want to play Stick. It misses out the lovely sounds, but words can only convey so much. :)

I also loved Steve(@paigan0)'s post a few post earlier about 'not playing notes'. :lol:
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?p=116881#p116881

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next