It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 am

The Stick is an Idea Machine 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Stick is an Idea Machine
Ooooo! This is so good! Bravo Maestro!!! A lot of ideas to get inspiration from and lots of learning material! Thank you [emoji120]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bachdois wrote:
Ooooo! This is so good! Bravo Maestro!!! A lot of ideas to get inspiration from and lots of learning material! Thank you [emoji120]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind comments, Rod!

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Lovely stuff. Meditative.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:42 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The brain is not a muscle. You don't see it moving. The front sector of the head, the face, presents the brain. Subtle facial expressions reflect the brain's electro-chemical "movement".

The mind is also in the muscle. The fingers become sense organs. There are more nerves extending there than meet the eye. Ideas are so obviously reflected in the fingers. Music reflects how wonderful we are as creatures, the ability to perform and the ability to appreciate.

The "Idea Machine" is not of this computer/microprocessor age. The fretboard matrix replaces the typing keys-to-chips technology. The brain along with fingers and face replace the internal software. The man is back in charge over the machine, which is merely an interface from mind to music (to other appreciative minds).

Greg is performing from start to finish but he's showing exactly how it's done, sometimes from the most minimal "kernel of truth" into logical extrapolations, sometimes with impassioned song like passages bordering on harmony (reminiscent of Gershwin).

All layers are present: ear music challenging the fingers, "geographic" fretboard music challenging the ears, percussive rhythms and counter-rhythms, sonic textures and harmonics, speedy interwoven techniques between the hands.

He is presenting a deeply instructive "ride" along multiple paths where ideas might lead. It's all accomplished on the instrument I love and build. Many thanks, Greg!

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What a nice post, Emmett. Thanks so much. After 35 years, the ideas keep coming. Human creativity is boundless!

Cheers!

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

A most modest movement of one finger on one string across one fret enables all fingers of both hands to cover all strings and frets. That's an ironic truth.

As for the technique that surpasses all techniques, Greg you've tapped into it, other Stick performers as well. It feels great to have created a specific "free hands" method on strings and to have designed an instrument around it!

The proof of course, has to be in the music itself as played in various forms and styles around the world. BSharp is proud and FWIW, you all have my sharp attention.

Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BSharp wrote:
A most modest movement of one finger on one string across one fret enables all fingers of both hands to cover all strings and frets. That's an ironic truth.

As for the technique that surpasses all techniques, Greg you've tapped into it, other Stick performers as well. It feels great to have created a specific "free hands" method on strings and to have designed an instrument around it!

The proof of course, has to be in the music itself as played in various forms and styles around the world. BSharp is proud and FWIW, you all have my sharp attention.

A year ago, the final comment on this video from Emmett really reminds me how involved he was with all of us. We carry your dream forward, Dear Emmett, out into the ever-expanding universe of sound. You are missed. Glad to make you proud.

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for bumping this topic @greg. Great video, plus the super, insightful, comments from Emmett.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:18 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Going to miss those BSharp posts. Never posted any music for Emmett (or anyone else) to comment on. It would have been nice for The Creator to comment. But. I have his Creation in my possession. (sounds like Frankensteins Monster). Anyhow, Stickists, Tap!

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

It only really struck me after his death that one of Emmett's real triumphs was building a community pretty much everywhere Sticks are played. And it was always the way, right from the start -- look at Free Hands, it's full of pictures of Stickists, giiving a glimpse of the community he was building.

Rosewood Grand #1496, Matched Reciprocal

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery