It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 am

Human Nature 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Human Nature
ok here is my arrangement of "Human Nature".

What do you guys think?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuzc8Z_TFw[/youtube]

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: Human Nature
Giedosst.

How's It!

Mate, after your comments in previous posts about your own playing, may I make a couple of observations.

At around 2:38 you go into what is a fairly Stick-centric arpeggio style thing, which sounds pretty comfortable, however by contrast the other sections are'nt always as fluent.

The two things I always aim for, and I can only comment from own experiences, are paying attention to the rhythmic fluency of each hand separately first, then bring both hands together.

What I've noticed is that I have to play the notes at an "engineering level" first. That means rhythmically accurate and with a full tenuto or length of each note.

From there I start to let each hand speak like they have their own phrasing voice. So back and forth between "engineering level" & phrasing.

Even though we are'nt trying to be like other instrumentalists, sax, guitar etc. it is really important to keep the audio memory of the phrasing that I'm going for, so that it will naturally seep into my playing over time.

Mate, You've got a certain funkiness in the way you approach the Stick and I know you'll continue to develope a more wholistic sound as you go.

Respectfully.

Radkon

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Radkon!

First off...thanks a million for the constructive criticism. It seems like with every video I post I leave myself open to many different people who feel my level of musicianship is questionable to offensive and rip me apart at every turn, instead of telling me something I can use! I see exactly what you mean about engineering level action and find it to be a more than apt description, looks like I will need to sit down and go over this piece with a metronome to buff out all the rough edges! Can you go into further detail on what you mean about phrasing? I understand the concept of phrasing in general but I would like to know how you see it. I also don't see what you mean about funkiness, in my playing. Personally it sounds to me like I'm just grabbing parts of tunes and smashing them together in the most awful and primitive way possible. Its funny how when I listen to a real musician or soloist who is really special and has something to say there's a spark that just jumps out at me and sets my soul on fire. Looking back on my whole musical career, I don't think I've ever had that and it would seem an impossible feat! in fact I question if I will ever be able to say anything other than "look at me I play Stick, I can make it look like I can play two things at once!". If I where someone else listening to my music, I would not even listen, it really sounds like musical self indulgence stead of an artistic and musical expression or statement. It would seem like no matter what I do, I make music for the sheer need for people to like me and think I'm special, intelligent and cool. I'm a faker, a paper clown! No matter how much music is a part of me, I can never get away from the fact that while I love music more than life itself, I do it to be liked by others, which I must admit is a shallow and pathetic reason! Perhaps it stems from my own dislike of my dyslexia, and physical appearance, and a need to feel smart and different when my whole life I have never felt that way! I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall and am just tired of feeling like my music is just short of mediocre! I guess the old saying rings true.....

"When we have nothing to lose, only then will we be truly free!"

The mind and ego are powerful tings indeed!

Thanks again for the feedback and once I get myself together I will polish this tune for all its worth, that is if I ever get myself together at this point!

BLARG!

Thanks again man!

Bergen Norway

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Steve,

These are not comments on your video but on your last post.

It's been my experience that people sometimes do the "right things for the wrong reasons". The end result is usually more positive than negative anyway.

Virtually every serious musician I've ever met suffers from self-doubt (if not loathing) from time to time. We all question what we're doing and why we do it.

Other people will hear things in your playing that you don't. It takes time to accept this reality, because it might be different from what your own ears are telling you. I'm a fellow bassist, and I also hear some of that (good) "funkiness" in your playing.

I honestly believe that many modern day musicians are over-educated to work on their weaknesses instead of playing to their strengths. A lot of the great players whom we love and admire learned by picking tunes off records by ear and playing them for 12 hours a day. Don't forget to spend time doing what YOU do best.

If you really doubt that you want to play music, take a year or two off. Try dedicating your life to something else. Can you live with only playing your Stick or bass for 15-30 minutes a day? Every time I've tried this, I've failed to find anything else that makes me happy.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

adde65 wrote:
Steve,

These are not comments on your video but on your last post.

It's been my experience that people sometimes do the "right things for the wrong reasons". The end result is usually more positive than negative anyway.

Virtually every serious musician I've ever met suffers from self-doubt (if not loathing) from time to time. We all question what we're doing and why we do it.

Other people will hear things in your playing that you don't. It takes time to accept this reality, because it might be different from what your own ears are telling you. I'm a fellow bassist, and I also hear some of that (good) "funkiness" in your playing.

I honestly believe that many modern day musicians are over-educated to work on their weaknesses instead of playing to their strengths. A lot of the great players whom we love and admire learned by picking tunes off records by ear and playing them for 12 hours a day. Don't forget to spend time doing what YOU do best.

If you really doubt that you want to play music, take a year or two off. Try dedicating your life to something else. Can you live with only playing your Stick or bass for 15-30 minutes a day? Every time I've tried this, I've failed to find anything else that makes me happy.

Cheers,
Andy

Interesting point of view, there's so much to say about music and everyday life...
As Andy, I won't comment your video.
Sometimes it's very useful to work on the Stick and music 12 hours per day, but sometimes, it's just more efficient to give up the things you do on Stick and do something really different (cooking, playing football, socializing...). Sometimes, I'm just tired of playing and working tunes, but when I give up a bit, I always come to the Stick with a new fresh approach and I'm able to have some pleasure with my Stick (don't laugh) :mrgreen: .
And don't pay too much attention to "seniors Stick players". Most of them created something, their OWN way of playing music. But the Stick is a new way of making music if you're able to, so build your on way.
I can feel you're a bit impatient to master your instrument, right? I can't speak for others, but it may take some years within a life to be able to play almost how we would want... (10 years for me...). And I'm pretty sure no musician on this earth won't pretend they completely master the instrument they play.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanls guys!

I'm going threw a rough spt to say the least! Even in the face of Interlochen my frustration with my music shines threw! Am I impatient, yes I guess that's what you call it. I look back on my life with music and feel a sense frustration and loss. Yes I have been over worked to look at my weaknesses, but I think that's part of the problem...I can't get out of my own way! In the past, I have tried to put music down! I was a history and sociological major for quiet some time, but the nagging burn to play music had over-ridden everything. Life without music is like life with the sound turned down. I can't seem to get anywhere creatively and musically and it would seem that my own issues are bubbling to the surface again. I'm my own worse enemy! I can never give up music, its life itself! Maybe I'm a bit burnt out an dI need to just take a break and recharge my batteries, play penny whistle for a few days!

Thanks guys!

Bergen Norway

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hey Giedosst,
I'm not sure what to say, but I think your post was very important, not so much musically, but personally and spiritually. I can completely relate to the type of "crisis" you describe in your post, and I feel it... I am in the process of discovering my path, and how I work, and what to expect of myself, and how to change the things I don't like about the way I act, live and play music. But I say this, whether we take it from Buddhism or The Yaqui way of knowledge, (as I have) or any other philosophy, you have a concrete desicion to make now. You can take the path of despair, self-pity and personal drama, or one that can lead to a more complete Giedosst or Japhlet or whoever is speaking.
I think this is a great moment to really ask what you want to get out of music? Do you want to have music for yourself, to continue to make it at home and share witht h world? Do you want to be famous? Do you want to tour with someone as backup Stickist? Do you maybe want to teach children music, and introduce them to the Stick?
There are many options, and I think that having a clear goal is extremely helpful to feeling good about oneself. After all, you only have yourself in this world, and if you are not on good terms with yourself, who will be?
I feel like I have a responsibility to myself to put myself in situations that will add to who I am, and not the contrary. And when I put myself in situations that make me feel bad, I try to do it with the conscience of what I'm doing, and for what purpose...
As far as music goes, if you think your triplets are not inspiring, go after it. Do 1 chord for half an hour at steady tempo, and just focus on the sound. Play soft in one hand, loud in the other. Switch. Play legato in one hand, stacatto in the other, then switch and then back again. Focus on the sound your fingers make. Try to make it sound sultry. After a while, when the part comes up in the song, it'll be a whole different ball game.
Now, it is easier to say than do, so now I must go work on getting myself back on track. I hope this was an understandable and/or helpful rant.
We are all with you Giedosst...

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Giedosst,

remember the title of your post: "Human Nature". Isn't it all about that? We are caught in self-doubt, trying to be someone else. And we are never satisfied with our musical success. So we are always on the run and try to improve our skills to look like something we will never be.

I do not only play Stick, I also play the piano and drums. So I do not only have one instrument to become desperate on. ;-)

But I always found my way back to the "easy notes", to the skills I really have. For example I sometimes reduce a song to the melody and the root bass note. I can then focus on the real meaning of the song, and my personal expression. Try this with Human Nature - which is such a wonderful slow and lovely song - and play just the roots. It is such a beauty without all the extra notes. And then enjoy your playing, not because it is perfect, but because you are on a good way...

All the best,
TheMM

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Listen Man, we all know music can sometimes be a Bitch Beeeee ya yaaaaaaatchh. But it’s that raw emotion that can set us on to new levels.
I think the problem with too much bedroom practice is that we can get a bit lost in ourselves and not get that third person opinion, especially from a live audience.

You’ve stated that music means a heck of a lot to you, so if you have that passion, you will find a way to get better & better; or much more betterer as we say in Aussie. Do you say that….? LOL

After looking at your video again, I tried to put on my “non musician glasses” on to see what it is that’s missing. Allow me to say suggest a couple of things.

1. You seem to play many phrases as separate events. BUT there are times of musical flow that shine through, to use your language.
What to do?
From a drummer’s perspective, this is my main instrument, I’ve spent countless hours listening and absorbing whole arrangements. My feeling is you need to do just this. Sit quietly, visualise the sound of your arrangement, then play it how you hear it. This begs the question, how do you hear it? If you’re not sure, rip off someone else’s phrasing.
Let’s start with Miles Davis…! However, herein already lies one great plus & one big minus. Miles’ phrasing can be very loose sometimes, so that might be hard to really apply to Stick. Some have said he created a career out splitting notes!!! However, He will get you straight in the chest every time, especially if your feeling down, and make you think about melody & phrasing. He’s always been the best medicine for me.

2. Next thing, go back to MJ, now we’re in Pop land & a conscise melody is EVERYTHING. Take as much as you can from MJ’S timing, melody phrasing, emotional light & shade. Do this to the exclusion of all other considerations, (like trying play 4 things at once with the wonderful instrument we’re obsessed with called the Stick).
Now go to the bass line, exclusively. Learn it, Play it, record yourself playing it, get FUNKY on it.
The “hard” part is now to bring these things together. Let me suggest what I have always done as a drummer. Go back to “Engineering Level” & play the parts together in a rhythmically static but accurate way, without all the feel you’ve managed to put into the combined parts up until now.
From there, you can let your body relax back into the great phrasing you’ve built up.
You must have fluency over the entire arrangement at an Engineering Level before you can really make it sing. You can however practice the sections, one at a time, without the frustration of trying get it all down at once.

Funny how I’ve been talking about two of the world’s greatest artists, who are no longer with us.

Last thing, “Use your faults, use your defects, then you’re gonna be a Star” – Edith Piaf

“….Your faults can be used to good advantage…. “ Bill Bruford – Bruford & the Beat video, early 80’s

Love you Main.

Bro Rad

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thumbs up Konrad!

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 am