It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 am

"Paint it Black" - Heartstrings style! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: "Paint it Black" - Heartstrings style!
If you are taking requests...
I'd love to hear your treatment of the Police song, "When the World is Running Down".

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

dbrosky wrote:
Matt,
amazing as always. you guys are always pushing the envelope, and a pure pleasure to listen to your interpretations.

when I was about to push the play button, I likened to going to your favorite restaurant, and ordering their signature speciality incredible dish that you love. you have that great anicipation and already can taste it. It comes out sizzling hot, and the aroma precedes it -and you are basking in it already. then comes the first bite- satisfaction from the start to finish. as you fold your napkin from your lap to the table, you are sated in every way, mind heart tummy and spirit, and you leave with a lasting memory and a desire for more.

that's the way it is EVERY single time I listen you your lush arrangements and innovative playing. so I felt the same emotions described above, and pushed play..... wow. here comes the larger than life signature Heartstrings arrangement and spot on playing. you always put the emotion into the strings which in this song i think really heighted it. I focused more on the melody and its interaction with underlying counterpart harmony with a melodic/harmonic minor which really brought out its textual richness. on the original, you focus on Mick's voice and the "intentional sloppiness" which defined the Stones sound- Keith said that once backed up by Charlie Watts that they pushed and pulled the beats to give it life. your arrangement was just pure.

and if that wasn't enough, you put it over the top with nice hammer on/pull offs at 2:14!
as Christopher Walken would say as the Continental "wow- Zee- wow-wow".

you've really got a winner and a great marketable formulae for this CD. if your fans are clamoring, then give them what they want! people scream at my concerts for "Mellow Yellow" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqrHz7vMTk
so there ya go!

can't wait to hear more! again, congratulations on really, really great work!!!
dave brosky

Man, what do you say to something like this? Dave, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to listen, and then for putting such deep thought into describing what it did for you. I really enjoyed reading this! The reward is increased in value many times over when it comes from someone whose playing you really respect, like you. Just know that you made my day with this, and it was right on time because I was kind of having a bummer day!! :lol:

It's not easy to arrange music for two Sticks; the main pitfall being a muddy sound when you overdo it. Timbre and texture take center stage when mapping things out, and it just sounds like heaven when you get it right. I have a long way to go as an arranger (and composer), but every now and then you take a big step or find a whole new gear that you didn't know you had. Those are truly the moments I live for.

Thanks again, Dave!

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

This arrangement and the sonic blend of the two different sticks sounds excellent!

Matt, what would you say are the differences between the alto stick and the SG12? I see some folks still buying altos - is that because they want ten strings with the better fingering space or are there other reasons? I imagine an SG12 with PASV-4 would be great for me but I have no chance to try one out.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
This arrangement and the sonic blend of the two different sticks sounds excellent!

Matt, what would you say are the differences between the alto stick and the SG12? I see some folks still buying altos - is that because they want ten strings with the better fingering space or are there other reasons? I imagine an SG12 with PASV-4 would be great for me but I have no chance to try one out.

Hey Per! Glad you liked "Black"!

As to the Alto vs. SG12, I think you are right about an Alto being more comfortable with the string spacing (same thing with standard scale Sticks). The Alto still feels like "home" to me every time I play it. The SG just gives me more options with 12 strings and the different pickup.

When Emmett came up with the Grand Stick, he was just trying to give you more of what you liked about the 10-string; high bass string and new lower melody string, etc. But with the SG12, I think he was catering to the guitarists, taking full advantage of two sets of six strings in the guitar range, and coming up with a whole bunch of new tunings to support it. I just wanted my Alto tuning plus an extra string on each side, which he did for me. I have a new low bass string and a new low melody string. It's a non-standard tuning; essentially SG12 MR with the bass dropped a whole step and the melody side left intact. This way there would be no adjustment necessary to play all the songs I knew. He even put together a custom string set for me! Can't get any cooler than that!

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

heartstrings wrote:
It's not easy to arrange music for two Sticks; the main pitfall being a muddy sound when you overdo it. Timbre and texture take center stage when mapping things out, and it just sounds like heaven when you get it right. I have a long way to go as an arranger (and composer), but every now and then you take a big step or find a whole new gear that you didn't know you had. Those are truly the moments I live for.
Matt,

I think you're being very modest here. You two are definitely hitting your stride. I think you've found overdrive! Keep it coming.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery