It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Basic Song Arangement for Chapman Stick: lesson with Greg 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Basic Song Arangement for Chapman Stick: lesson with Gre
Then resolve… :roll: (doesn't seem like you really want to)

Just went through the video. I think this is really awesome - very clear. What you're doing with the note highlights is generally easy to follow. Like BasV, I wished I had the ability to skip back. A quick search revealed that using the left/right arrows skips around on Youtube videos. It only seemed to go about 3 seconds either way, but it's better than nothing.

I think this format works really well for getting through the tune. Some of the parts seemed to go by way too fast, but I think you go over them later, so it's not really an issue. I think it's easy to miss some of the "tips" text, there are so many things to focus on all at once. I imagine those would be more useful for a second pass through the video.

For me, with viewing once and a bit of practice, I can get through most of the tune except that I tend to forget the form. Not the overall form, but when to go to the Am and such. I'd need to run through the video again to really work on the double-stops and held notes in the RH and the LH non-chord parts - I can play them, just don't seem to remember when/where to play them. The transition to the chorus trips me up. Nothing to do with the video, something about it isn't clicking for me in terms of playing it. But in general, I think with another viewing and some decent practice time, I should be able to play the song.

greg wrote:
I didn't realize I had an on-camera persona.... :) Most people complain that I don't smile enough....

I probably should not admit this, but I've found myself asking your "camera persona" a question while watching some of your instructional videos. Start asking something, then realize what an idiot I am. :oops: My main interaction with you is seeing you on the computer screen, so it's probably not too stupid (right?). I wouldn't necessarily say you need to smile more, but you're definitely more "formal" in your videos than during lessons, which makes sense.

I don't know how much time this took you, seems like it must be quite a while. Thanks for doing it!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

FIRST, BIG NEWS:

for those of you who want to work on just one section of the video, check out Loop the Tube

http://loopthetube.com

just paste the video URL then set the start point and hit the loop button when you want to go back to your selected start point.

The one piece I think is missing is some kind of notation of the form of the music itself. I'm hesitant to put standard notation into the video, because that just freaks out people who don't consider themselves good readers.

Maybe just a "chord form" for each section would be good..

The video did take a lot of time, about four or five days really. So please, people, if you don't have my DVD, buy it, and if you are thinking about taking lessons, sign up! There are some time slots available.

All the videos I will post of this type will reference the technique concepts in the DVD, as they are universally applicable.

Claire wrote:
Then resolve… :roll: (doesn't seem like you really want to)

Just went through the video. I think this is really awesome - very clear. What you're doing with the note highlights is generally easy to follow. Like BasV, I wished I had the ability to skip back. A quick search revealed that using the left/right arrows skips around on Youtube videos. It only seemed to go about 3 seconds either way, but it's better than nothing.

I think this format works really well for getting through the tune. Some of the parts seemed to go by way too fast, but I think you go over them later, so it's not really an issue. I think it's easy to miss some of the "tips" text, there are so many things to focus on all at once. I imagine those would be more useful for a second pass through the video.

For me, with viewing once and a bit of practice, I can get through most of the tune except that I tend to forget the form. Not the overall form, but when to go to the Am and such. I'd need to run through the video again to really work on the double-stops and held notes in the RH and the LH non-chord parts - I can play them, just don't seem to remember when/where to play them. The transition to the chorus trips me up. Nothing to do with the video, something about it isn't clicking for me in terms of playing it. But in general, I think with another viewing and some decent practice time, I should be able to play the song.

greg wrote:
I didn't realize I had an on-camera persona.... :) Most people complain that I don't smile enough....

I probably should not admit this, but I've found myself asking your "camera persona" a question while watching some of your instructional videos. Start asking something, then realize what an idiot I am. :oops: My main interaction with you is seeing you on the computer screen, so it's probably not too stupid (right?). I wouldn't necessarily say you need to smile more, but you're definitely more "formal" in your videos than during lessons, which makes sense.

I don't know how much time this took you, seems like it must be quite a while. Thanks for doing it!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi Greg,

The remark I made was just about a very tiny thing hahaha.
About the notation ( either standard or stafftab) : maybe as a pdf download ? Then people who want to use it, can do that while others won't freak out :-)
I'm not a good reader myself, but sometimes use it when I can't figure out a part.

Cheers,
Bas

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That video loop thing looks very handy.

Greg, my comment was mostly an initial reaction to viewing the video once and attempting to get through the song. Since you're aware of what pace I tend to learn stuff, I thought it might be helpful.

I don't think you need to try to add more, there's plenty there already. You literally spell out the tune, so it's easy enough to jot it all down if desired. I think since I am used to reading, I'm also used to not having to memorize a tune right away. That's one advantage of reading, you can look ahead (you have to), and you don't really have to remember it. I think my hangup with the section transitions is just due to that, I've learned it just enough to get through the sections, but don't yet have it down well enough to remember where it's going. It's an easy enough form, I should probably just write down the basic form (intro, verse, verse, chorus, etc.) and it won't be an issue.

But that's digressing from the main point. Learning that tune is nice, but the point was to show options for arranging, right? If I spent the same amount of time with a lead sheet, I'd likely just have learned the basic melody and be able to play it with root position LH chords. You're showing ways to go through thinking about notes in the melody and integrating LH/RH notes as larger chords, among other things. For me, that requires more than one viewing to really get it, there's just a lot of content there. There are probably various approaches, I think once I know the tune enough to play along (even though I'd already be implementing what you're showing), I will likely get more out of the arrangement tips on a subsequent viewing. I suppose another approach is to watch without trying to play, get the arrangement points, then learn the tune? I'm personally not capable of waiting to try stuff out before the end of a 30-something minute video. But I suppose everyone's process will be different.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BasV wrote:
Hi Greg,

The remark I made was just about a very tiny thing hahaha.
About the notation ( either standard or stafftab) : maybe as a pdf download ? Then people who want to use it, can do that while others won't freak out :-)
I'm not a good reader myself, but sometimes use it when I can't figure out a part.

Cheers,
Bas
Hi Bas, I know it seems like a small thing to you, but to me, things like setup fingerings and position-shifting are the very essence of Stick playing. They are what makes my instructional materials more than "put this finger here", so I spend a lot of time trying to convey them in a way that makes sense. Attention to that kind of detail is very important.

To me, having the ability to do those kinds of things on the fly is the Free in Free Hands. Thanks again for the feedback.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:

But that's digressing from the main point. Learning that tune is nice, but the point was to show options for arranging, right? If I spent the same amount of time with a lead sheet, I'd likely just have learned the basic melody and be able to play it with root position LH chords. You're showing ways to go through thinking about notes in the melody and integrating LH/RH notes as larger chords, among other things. For me, that requires more than one viewing to really get it, there's just a lot of content there. There are probably various approaches, I think once I know the tune enough to play along (even though I'd already be implementing what you're showing), I will likely get more out of the arrangement tips on a subsequent viewing. I suppose another approach is to watch without trying to play, get the arrangement points, then learn the tune? I'm personally not capable of waiting to try stuff out before the end of a 30-something minute video. But I suppose everyone's process will be different.
You're right, Claire,

I'm tying to teach general musicianship, not just "tapping". The Stick is such a powerful tool for arranging and orchestration, (not even getting into the sonic permutations). So much of what Free Hands enables the player to do is still being discovered, but it's nice to have a way to convey what we already know.

Any more feedback is more than welcome.

obligatory gratuitous re-embedding:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IJpL6zoXM[/youtube]

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Claire wrote:
I don't think you need to try to add more, there's plenty there already. You literally spell out the tune, so it's easy enough to jot it all down if desired. I think since I am used to reading, I'm also used to not having to memorize a tune right away. That's one advantage of reading, you can look ahead (you have to), and you don't really have to remember it. I think my hangup with the section transitions is just due to that, I've learned it just enough to get through the sections, but don't yet have it down well enough to remember where it's going. It's an easy enough form, I should probably just write down the basic form (intro, verse, verse, chorus, etc.) and it won't be an issue.
Even so, I think there should be an elegant way to include this in the video. I will work on that, and may put some annotations in the current video to show the form so that you will know what's coming, though maybe just in the complete version at the end.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"Obligitory gratuitous re-embedding" :lol: Thats funny....

I don't know how I missed this thread. Greg this is an awesome learning tool and exactly what I need when I learn a song; slow repetition, visuals, chord explanations, and the camera angles really help. Having someone show you what to play is much easier than picking it up off the record............yes I'm lazy.

Any chance you could do another like this; a song for relative newbs? ( here I am asking you to work for free).

cheers,
Kev

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

kevin-c wrote:
"Obligitory gratuitous re-embedding" :lol: Thats funny....

I don't know how I missed this thread. Greg this is an awesome learning tool and exactly what I need when I learn a song; slow repetition, visuals, chord explanations, and the camera angles really help. Having someone show you what to play is much easier than picking it up off the record............yes I'm lazy.

Any chance you could do another like this; a song for relative newbs? ( here I am asking you to work for free).

cheers,
Kev
Hi Kev, Thanks for the feedback. Part of my motiation for doing the videos is (obviously) to build on the DVD content as a way of encouraging people to buy the DVD and familiarize themselves with its content. Another part is just to push the boundaries of what can be done as far as teaching the instrument is concerned.

It is really time-consuming, so I'm also trying to ascertain if there is a way to be compensated for it (a subscription arrangement for access to the videos for example) I know the market is relatively small, so I won't make much on it, but finding some way to offset the cost would be great.

Also, since there are licensing issues for selling 3rd party content. if there is a tune of mine you'd like to see presented in this way or something in the public domain, I'd love to have suggestions.

BTW, you do have the DVD don't you ? ;)

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have all of your instructional material, including all recorded material except your songbook, but this is something new to me.......a complete breakdown of a tune (I posted this song a few months back, Dallenger style) that I like. I have lots of suggestions, but as you say, this is pretty time consuming. As much as I like your own material, it is beyond the scope of my capabilities...........eheh.

Anyway Greg, the video is a great way to get the point across.....thanks for sharing..

cheers,
kev

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next