Taking Her for a Test Drive 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Taking Her for a Test Drive
Short and Sweet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnIprzV_Ho

btw How do I embed that here?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnIprzV_Ho[/youtube]

[Embed Youtube video's by using the BBcode; press the "youtube" BBcode box and insert the URL of the video. ~Manny]

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Taking Her for a Test Drive
can u play that again?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What is the instrument?

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:35 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yes, I can play that again since it's the only thing I know how to play on it so far. I was just programming it again today. The instrument is a Z7-S. What otherwise might be known as a Ztar. Lap style is my primary chosen orientation.

I've programmed the chords for this song to fret/string positions near the headstock on the first three strings (5 frets long) using Kontakt 4. Those are for my left hand fingers. And I've dialed in the low bass strings on a 5 string bass for strings 4,5 and 6 for my left hand thumb.

The rest of the fingerboard has a lead patch for my right hand. It was a lot of work to make it do all that but now that it's done I'm hoping I won't have much more I want to do to it for a while.

My hand still hurts from holding down all the buttons of the interface to mute 3/4 of the fingerboard for each string/fret position on the map intended for bass and chords (so the chords don't play in other octaves outside of the zone I've assigned to them), then overlay another map with all of the correct notes so the lead guitar has something to play in all that muted space.

The clean electric guitar sound is also triggering a synth pad which is a little hard to hear except for the drop 2 in it's open voicing which sticks outside of the overlap with the guitar chords.

The composition is more interesting to me which is why I need an instrument like that. No one has ever wanted to play fusion with me so I have never heard myself play any of the stuff I compose. Now I can play everything except the drums which is fine by me. Except, not much of a performing musician anymore.

I used to do classical guitar all over Vegas and Arizona but I'm getting carpel tunnel from the thick string gauges I've been using over the years for the best tuning and sound of the classical. If I'd had friends to play with, I would have been playing electric and would be much better at performing jazz by now. Currently it's mostly theoretical.

Anyway, Messiaen has these scales built from symmetrical intervals that have more than 7 notes. So, I designed my own. For example, if the beginning of your scale goes
C D Eb then the top of your scale must descend C Bb A like a palindrome.

Dorian is symmetrical in this sense. My scale goes C D Eb E F# Ab A Bb C.

But I don't build chords using those notes though. That scale is only used for the chord roots because I wanted to play chords which are also symmetrical.

I wrote out a bunch of symmetrical chords and chose the ones that seemed to fit best with each chord quality my new scale is supposed to have; maj, min, dim, aug, dom of course...

Naturally they have b9's, #4s, etc... so they don't match the key per se.

The effect is exactly what I wanted...spiritual...beautiful like a butterfly's wing and the soul of man.

Next up will be to figure out symmetrical rhythms for it.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:42 pm