It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:20 am

If You Could Read My Mind and 6 month playing Update 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: If You Could Read My Mind and 6 month playing Update
Good job Andy! My only suggestion would be to lie and to say you have been playing longer. This won't help you, but it will help the rest of us :) Seriously, good job man!!

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

kevin-c wrote:
To me, this arrangement was really hard to commit to memory. I dont know why.....Took ages just to play the bass part with some conviction. David changes up his G shapes and turns it around a few times there as well, very sneaky, that Mr. Tipton...

Anyways man, good show.....dug the entire Pabst infused intro too. Great stuff!

Thanks a million, buddy :D
I'm not sure why, but there's something tricky to remembering the way the song is structured. I had to think about the lyrics to finally solidify it. I still wouldn't be able to describe it with words but I have a very good picture of it in my mind.

EricTheGray wrote:
Heh, I started in my 50s, wanna trade? :)
And I see that you are a short 8-hour drive from me here in Madison, WI. If you are ever passing near here let me know. I'd love to jam! And, btw, you remind me of some of my programming students. Are you learning that, too?

Well when you put it that way! Heh.
Definitely! I've only been to Wisconsin for the Eau Claire Jazz Festival when I was in high school. Maybe it's time for a return to do some fishing.
I probably should learn some Java or C+ or something, seems like it's going to be a more expected thing regardless of major. For time being I'm gonna stick with Mechanical Engineering/Polymer science.

rwkeating wrote:
Good job Andy! My only suggestion would be to lie and to say you have been playing longer. This won't help you, but it will help the rest of us :) Seriously, good job man!!

Ha! When I was 14 or 15, I was worried when I spoke with people about playing bass, that they wouldn't take me seriously because I hadn't been playing very long. :P Thank you for your kind words!!

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I agree with kev...it's impressive after only 6 months...congrats.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Really nice, man! I'm a ways away from a performance video! Yours give me confidence I'll have one in the next few months. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Immpressive Andy, I really enjoyed that. Thanks for putting up the .pdf as well.
Your way ahead of the curve so keep it up! Looking forward to hearing more mate!.

Cheers,
Eric

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

AndyJPro wrote:
I know how that sleep cycle trouble goes. I'm Narcoleptic!

Oh, I thought you were just shy. **rimshot**
AndyJPro wrote:
I tried to attach the file to the thread, but it was too big, even compressed in a zip it was too big. If you know how to get around this, let me know.

Well, you could get a friend with web hosting (e.g. me) to host it for you. Honestly, I would like to see this site get an FTP server so the goodness can be shared more readily and preserved more easily.
AndyJPro wrote:
I probably should learn some Java or C+ or something, seems like it's going to be a more expected thing regardless of major. For time being I'm gonna stick with Mechanical Engineering/Polymer science.

You can always take up something like Python later, as a hobby. I got away from it as I morphed into Zombie Rob (a reference to the worst days of my chronic fatigue), but applied logic can be a fun and relaxing escape from our IQ degrading popular culture.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great job Andy, really impressive performance regardless of how long you've been playing. I agree with all the positive comments from everyone, keep up the good work.
Nice to see the update, lets me know how (badly) I'm progressing in comparison - like Eric, I'm in my 50's and wish I'd started sooner, but I only got into playing Stick about 15 months ago. It's hard going but I can see things slowly improving :)

-Marc-

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 am
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Andy,

6 months, huh? DAMN! That's majorly impressive! So much good stuff going on in you rendition...great balance between left hand and right hand, tempo is consistent, the tone and general vibe really honors the original and the Tipton arrangement too boot.

Natural talent! Keep it up!

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kataway wrote:
I agree with kev...it's impressive after only 6 months...congrats.

Thank you very much Alain!

h3dg3h0g wrote:
Really nice, man! I'm a ways away from a performance video! Yours give me confidence I'll have one in the next few months. :)

Thanks! I'm gonna hold you to that.

eraplanetearth wrote:
Immpressive Andy, I really enjoyed that. Thanks for putting up the .pdf as well.
Your way ahead of the curve so keep it up! Looking forward to hearing more mate!.

Many thanks Eric! I'll try and produce as much as I can.

Robstafarian wrote:
Well, you could get a friend with web hosting (e.g. me) to host it for you. Honestly, I would like to see this site get an FTP server so the goodness can be shared more readily and preserved more easily.

You're very much welcome to do so. Have at it! I'll try and put up something like this anytime I wind up writing stuff down and performing it. No need for someone else to learn the long way when all the work is already done.

Quote:
You can always take up something like Python later, as a hobby. I got away from it as I morphed into Zombie Rob (a reference to the worst days of my chronic fatigue), but applied logic can be a fun and relaxing escape from our IQ degrading popular culture.

My software engineer friend also says I should learn Python. Maybe I will sometime.

numbersix wrote:
Great job Andy, really impressive performance regardless of how long you've been playing. I agree with all the positive comments from everyone, keep up the good work.
Nice to see the update, lets me know how (badly) I'm progressing in comparison - like Eric, I'm in my 50's and wish I'd started sooner, but I only got into playing Stick about 15 months ago. It's hard going but I can see things slowly improving :)

Thank you Marc. I make these videos for myself as well because I like to see how much I've grown. I just like to think people want to hear me blabber on about myself :D

jwanka wrote:
Hey Andy,
6 months, huh? DAMN! That's majorly impressive! So much good stuff going on in you rendition...great balance between left hand and right hand, tempo is consistent, the tone and general vibe really honors the original and the Tipton arrangement too boot.
Natural talent! Keep it up!

Thanks jwanka! I'm hearing so many nice things from people and I feel so popular!!

I'm gonna learn from Greg and pull a:
completely self-indulgent and most likely unneeded re-embedding

Update Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDJrLNeDyxQ[/youtube]

"If You Could Read My Mind"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_g_P7AYRI[/youtube]

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

That is very impressive for 6 months. I do not want to down play that. At the same time, I would like it even better if your LH could have some more expression like your RH does. As it is now, the LH is hitting each note with near identical attack, an important skill, but the performance might benefit from intentional emphasis instead.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 am