It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

2 More Songs by the TheHitman 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post 2 More Songs by the TheHitman
these are the last 2 of my Stick songs i'm gonna post for a while.

the first song "What, Now?" is the very first song i ever recorded with the Stick. i think i did it on Digidesign Session software (which was only 4 tracks) through an AudioMedia 2 card. (yes, that old!) i recorded all the Stick parts first and then bounced down and did the drums last with just 3 mics. the drums are not as tight as they would have been had i done them first, but like i said, this was my first attempt and it's not a total disaster. overall i am proud of this as my first attempt to record a song with the Stick. you can def hear the Crimson/Fripp influence on this one.

the other one was done on ADAT. i did the drums first with no click or reference. i have mixed feelings about this one. it's basically what it is, a snapshot of that moment in time. i screwed up a bunch of stuff but i like the basic ideas and i think the leads are pretty cool. i also like the bass line in the "chorus". the drums are heavily Stewart Copeland and Bill Bruford influenced.

Stick #5313 10 String Padauk (Classic Tuning)
10 String Krappy Touchstyle

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: 2 More Songs by the TheHitman
I am completely amazed by your skill at finding treble and drum tones that are so thoroughly engaging.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:51 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: 2 More Songs by the TheHitman
thx sagehalo.

i've had a lot a neat toys to play with when i did the first 2 songs i uploaded. all the rest were much more basic. all of the bass tones are clean and dry. there is compression on the first songs i posted but all the others it was purely just the tone from an Ampeg V4-B Head with an Ampeg 15" fliptop cab OR the bass went direct through an ART tube mic preamp. for the cab i used an Audio Technica Pro 25 on some of the songs.

on the treble side i used an E H Big Muff (black), Tech 21 XXL, DOD Envelope filter, Boss Stereo Volume Pedal, Smokey Amp, E-Bow, Digitech Studio Quad, H & K Real Tube 2, H & K MosValve Stereo Power Amp, Carvin 2 X 10" wired stereo (no tweeter), and i think for a few songs i might have been using some kind of Ibanez multi fx pedal that had 4 buttons (i don't recall what model) direct to ADAT through an ART tube MP. when i mic'd the carvin cab i used 2 Oktava MC012 condensers (one on each speaker) the majority of the tones came from the Real Tube 2, Big Muff, Volume Pedal, and Studio Quad.

the drums were TAMA Rockstar DX drums and a Pearl Free Floating Brass Snare (with Active Snares) for all of the songs. I used Paiste Sig & Sound Formula Cymbals with a Wuhan China and a modified Zildjian K China. Paiste Sound Formula Cymbals are my fav. my hi hats were 12". real small and glassy sounding.

all my lead tones were greatly influenced by King Crimson & Trey Gunn's Solo stuff

some may find this interesting, with the exception of the first 2 songs i posted, all the drums were recorded with only 3 mics. 2 Oktava MC012 condensers for over heads into 2 ART Tube MPs. and an Audio Technica Pro25 Kick mic into a Mackie 1202vlz preamp. no compression on any of it and very little EQ. those Oktavas are worth their weight in gold. they capture sound very true to life.

Stick #5313 10 String Padauk (Classic Tuning)
10 String Krappy Touchstyle

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 pm