It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 pm

Victor Bailey death?? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Victor Bailey death??
Hey Folks I read a post saying he just passed away? Anyone else heard or seen this? The report I read was from a Jaco fan site. Other than that I can't confirm it. If it's true then we've really lost another great legend on bass.

I remember seeing him when Weather Report came out with their "Procession Album", here's a cool bass oriented tune from that album Omar Hakim was on drums on the Weather report album as well but I can't find a High quality version of this tune from the original album:

and solo version of Birdland

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Victor Bailey death??
It's true. Apparently he was in bad shape for a few years now. It's truly a tragic loss much too soon

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, that sucks.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

[quote="pcgonzales"]

I remember seeing him when Weather Report came out with their "Procession Album", here's a cool bass oriented tune from that album Omar Hakim was on drums on the Weather report album as well but I can't find a High quality version of this tune from the original album:

very sad indeed. the guy was amazing - I just loved that jazzy, honky tone he got.

not to off-topic this but here is a really interesting tidbit about Omar Hakim - who I think is a truly amazing drummer (as that video showed):

"Hakim played drums on David Bowie's most commercially successful album, 1983's Let's Dance, as well as the follow-up, Tonight, in 1984. In the same year, Hakim did most of the drum work on Dire Straits' album Brothers in Arms, when the previous drummer Terry Williams' performance was found unsuitable for the desired sound of the album after most of the songs had already been recorded. Hakim recorded all the drum tracks on the album in two days and then left."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Hakim

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Think he has been in a wheel chair for several years. Neurological disorder but could still play..... Sad thing and his passing was not a surprise but so sad.... Great musician and great inspiration. This was two years ago and his problems had started already.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgGM781nR2M

Fantastic playing but already at that time in a wheel chair. :( Yesterday was not a good day for our musical family.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:11 am