It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Nitrous oxide anyone? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Nitrous oxide anyone?
I've been away from Stickwire for a while now and just recently re-subscribed; I've also been lurking this site off and on. I didn't know it had gotten like this with the "instrument wars."

I had a couple of emails and one phone encounter with TT back when I first started playing Stick. My guess is that he was somehow finding Stick players' info and contacting them to try to sell his instrument. I got a call and a message from him at one point and I thought I would be nice (musician's brotherhood or something, I dunno) and return his call. Now mind you he left his message saying he was "Traktor Topaz." When I called back his answer went something like, "This is Richard F...err...Traktor Topaz, how can I help you?" Consequently I can't remember what we talked about because all I could think about is that this guy was going by multiple names, and things like that send my "Scammer Sense" into full buzz.

Anyway, that's my one and only TT story and I guess my point in sharing it is: the guy is a freak, plain and simple. If some feel that's too harsh, well sorry, that's my impression.

And that's got nothing to do with instruments. I've never even met a Megatar. I play Sticks. I started on Stick because it was the first of the type of instrument I heard and saw. No I haven't played any other brands but these are doing me just fine as it is; they make the sounds I want them to make. Perhaps more pertinent to this discussion, I play Sticks because I trust Emmett. The interactions I've had with him and Yuta have always left me with no doubt that they are truly dedicated to promoting music making as much as the Stick itself.

Dave Huff

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stringtapper wrote:
I've been away from Stickwire for a while now and just recently re-subscribed; I've also been lurking this site off and on. I didn't know it had gotten like this with the "instrument wars."

I had a couple of emails and one phone encounter with TT back when I first started playing Stick. My guess is that he was somehow finding Stick players' info and contacting them to try to sell his instrument. I got a call and a message from him at one point and I thought I would be nice (musician's brotherhood or something, I dunno) and return his call. Now mind you he left his message saying he was "Traktor Topaz." When I called back his answer went something like, "This is Richard F...err...Traktor Topaz, how can I help you?" Consequently I can't remember what we talked about because all I could think about is that this guy was going by multiple names, and things like that send my "Scammer Sense" into full buzz.

Anyway, that's my one and only TT story and I guess my point in sharing it is: the guy is a freak, plain and simple. If some feel that's too harsh, well sorry, that's my impression.

And that's got nothing to do with instruments. I've never even met a Megatar. I play Sticks. I started on Stick because it was the first of the type of instrument I heard and saw. No I haven't played any other brands but these are doing me just fine as it is; they make the sounds I want them to make. Perhaps more pertinent to this discussion, I play Sticks because I trust Emmett. The interactions I've had with him and Yuta have always left me with no doubt that they are truly dedicated to promoting music making as much as the Stick itself.

Dave Huff

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you back, and an interesting story you tell.

I wouldn't call this "instrument wars," though, because it isn't really about instruments at all. It's about marketing tactics. In this case the marketing is about instruments, but it could be just as divisive if it were about cultured pearls, voicemail systems, or even advice on how to get a girlfriend (thanks for that, Steve).

I guess we're just the lucky ones.

I would say that calling someone a freak is probably not the answer to this, and is ultimately not helpful. Personalities can become a cover for bad behavior ("oh that's just who he is"), which makes accountability impossible to expect.

When it comes to someone trying to interfere with my job and my friends, I'll hold them accountable if I can, no matter how many legal names they have used in their lives.

Dealing with Topaz's marketing reminds me of the manure pile behind our horse barn. If I leave it too long, then the pile of horsesh*t gets too big to manage and it becomes a huge project. Dealing with it in little bits spreads the unpleasantness out over time, and it becomes easier and less disruptive (it also doesn't attract as many flies).
Attachment:
manure.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by greg on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

And I complain about our litter box?

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hey Greg,
Remember to use the whole forearm and wrist when weilding that shovel, not just the fingers alone :D :D

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Hi Dave,

Glad to see you back, and an interesting story you tell.

I wouldn't call this "instrument wars," though, because it isn't really about instruments at all. It's about marketing tactics. In this case the marketing is about instruments, but it could be just as divisive if it were about cultured pearls, voicemail systems, or even advice on how to get a girlfriend (thanks for that, Steve).

I guess we're just the lucky ones.

I would say that calling someone a freak is probably not the answer to this, and is ultimately not helpful. Personalities can become a cover for bad behavior ("oh that's just who he is"), which makes accountability impossible to expect.

When it comes to someone trying to interfere with my job and my friends, I'll hold them accountable if I can, no matter how many legal names they have used in their lives.

Dealing with Topaz's marketing reminds me of the manure pile behind our horse barn. If I leave it too long, then the pile of horsesh*t gets too big to manage and it becomes a huge project. Dealing with it in little bits spreads the unpleasantness out over time, and it becomes easier and less disruptive (it also doesn't attract as many flies).
Attachment:
manure.jpg

Hey Greg,

I understand your point, it probably isn't helpful for the overall discussion for me to call him a freak because it takes the responsibility for his actions off of his shoulders. It was just a personal thing for me because I don't like feeling like I'm being lied to or scammed and that's how I felt with my little TT story. I guess I was just trying to make light and chalk it up to dealing with someone who, in my opinion, has issues.

D

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

heartstrings wrote:
Hey Greg,
Remember to use the whole forearm and wrist when weilding that shovel, not just the fingers alone :D :D

There you go...advice in spades...if you can dig it ;)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let's face it, would you buy anything or trust anyone with a name like Traktor Topaz??? who cares if his instruments are cheaper, readily available, and "easier" to play (which they are not). They are ugly as hell, and half-assily (is that a word) made. The Stick IS the only true tapping instrument. I have played instruments by other companies. (Warr being one), and I always come back to the Stick for the superior quality, sound, and construction that they offer. . And to Emmett, don't worry about Traktor. He's a gnat. Thanks for your superb instruments.

JB

Last edited by Jim B. on Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
And, I think a very important thing to recognize is that he can't sell his stuff without using "Chapman Stick" in his advertising - whether it's on Ebay, in the domain names, marketing materials, whatever....

I've never played one of his instruments, so I can't comment on their quality or playability, but if this is what it takes to get me to buy one, I'm not impressed.

Randy

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:15 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Having been awarded the learn-chapman-stick.com domain name by the NAF decision against Voltos (Megatar, Topaz), and looking for ways to make the best of an initially bad situation, we have put up a new
Website at this URL with links to a variety of educational resources for Stick players.

Some of these items are sold through our own stick.com Website, but most of the links are for content offered by third parties, including e-books, seminars, videos, forums, etc., which I hope will be helpful
to anyone who wants to learn the Free Hands method on our instruments. From time to time, I'll also be introducing my own instructional materials to this site.

This is a "living site" with a special focus on Web-based resources. Your suggestions on subjects and materials to include will be greatly appreciated. Please send your suggestions to Greg at stickist@aol.com

The site is now active at: http://www.learn-chapman-stick.com

All the best, Emmett.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

There couldn't have been a better response to the TT actions. Congrats.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery