It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 LinnStrument Feedback 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: LinnStrument Feedback
:| Interesting this "Geoshred". Apprently it is an app devloped by Jordan Rudess...Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35G-F0oQ4U

But notice Jordan playing the Linstrument...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXstNdIEGPw

I seem to remember this happening somewhere before :?.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yep, Jordan is heavily behind Geoshred (which is very, very cool).

The Linnstrument is a synth that I'm also pretty interested in as far as synth/midi controllers go, but
I am still extremely obsessed with the Chapman Stick, so until I get that (The Stick) instrument under control I will probably not buy anything new. I've even stopped playing my railboard in an effort to get extremely familiar with my 12 Str grand. :D I am actually in the midst of a massive gear overhaul for my guitar stuff, getting rid of it all and upgrading pretty much everything!

Lol one of my friends who is a keyboardist has a Seaboard Roli, and was telling me how easily I would be able to emulate guitars with a Roli haha I'm like wtf?!? Lol I ain't playing no fake guitars haha

Anyways, cool stuff. I can't wait to hear what you guys do with 'em!

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've owned a Linnstrument for several years (bought on of the first available directly from Roger). I use it to drive a wide range of software synths and other virtual instruments. I think there is a still a video I did on the Linnstrument site.

There are a 100 things I could talk about, but the obvious first question here is "How does it relate to the Stick?". There are many similarities and a few differences. The main similarity is the nature of an instrument tuned in rows (strings) of 4ths. You can also tune it with different offsets but the obvious connection is in 4ths. Its easy to see/play extended chords in the left hand and the right hand is nearly one for one to the Stick. In short, translating two handed Stick skills is pretty intuitive.

The biggest difference is taking advantage of the Linnstrument as a "keyboard" type instrument. The ability to send midi CC (typically timbre) on the Y axis is unique but powerful. The biggest difference is learning to NOT think like each "row" is a "string". You can easily make a simple triad on only two rows, as opposed to needing three strings on a Stick. Hope that makes sense.

Again, could go on and on. How about if I just say feel free to fire any questions about the Linnstument at me and I'll do my best to answer.

Peace

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am

Former Stick owner here - I also own a Linnstrument, and it's incredibly fun and interesting to play. I'm not very good at it yet, but it's fun!

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Lol one of my friends who is a keyboardist has a Seaboard Roli, and was telling me how easily I would be able to emulate guitars with a Roli haha I'm like wtf?!? Lol I ain't playing no fake guitars

Guitars on the Seaboard? So funny you should mention that. I just saw that very same thing yesterday and it was pretty fricking cool (for someone who sucks on guitar, but can jam on a keyboard, anyway). Like this:

Marco Parisi plays Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" on the Seaboard RISE at Musikmesse 2016

I thought it was bad-ass!

Karma wrote:
Again, could go on and on. How about if I just say feel free to fire any questions about the Linnstument at me and I'll do my best to answer.

tubby.twins wrote:
Former Stick owner here - I also own a Linnstrument, and it's incredibly fun and interesting to play. I'm not very good at it yet, but it's fun!

Thanks, guys! No more questions for me at the moment. I think it's just a matter of saving up the pennies and then pulling the trigger around Christmas!

One thing I haven't see a lot of on the LinnStrument is 2-handed pyrotechnics, where someone is just all over the LinnStrument, like maybe playing some Chopin or something (anything complex and 2-handed). Most of what I've seen is mainly right handed soloing. Can anyone point me to a very busy piece of LinnStrumenting? Where all 10 fingers are being used?

Thanks! Can't wait to get my own!

Adds: Here's another one by Marco Parisi, doing Purple Rain on the Seaboard. Pretty damn expressive imitation of guitar playing, in my humble opinion. You know what else sounds like a guitar? A guitar, of course! But still, a very worthy controller. I'm sure you can do the same thing with a LinnStrument!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As I was saying over at Rob Gellner's post about the Lightpad, I like the Roli Seaboard AND the LinnStrument. There's no way I can get both. But I have picked up the Seaboard Block for $300 to give it a try.

I'm really liking what I've seen on both the LinnStrument and the Seaboard. I'm going to take that chance on a Seaboard Block and see if I like it. Then I'll have to decide between the Seaboard Rise 49 for a grand or the LinnStrument for a grand and a half.

I think Jeremy Cubert has both. Jeremy, or anyone that knows, care to comment on how the LinnStrument and the Seaboard compare with each other?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

:D It's a funny thing about keyboardists - y'all can play the most godawfully difficult thing to the uninitiated, and it'll be a great piece of playing, but other keyboardists will be like "meh..."
You know, I'll learn a simple blues shuffle on keys and get to a point of where I can solo over it in the right hand and it will feel like Christmas every time I play it. The "expert" doesn't get that I think...

I feel that there's a similar attitude around the Stick sometimes, Y'know...to be even "mediocre" at the thing it feels like one has to be pretty proficient. I think it's because there is just so much you can do with a keyboard, and the same with the Stick. Two inherently very complex instruments that by nature lend themselves very well to playing really dense and complex arrangements. Music doesn't have to be complicated to be good... :D

Now the cool thing about the Linnstrument is that it's main marketing angle is NOT Jedi keyboard shredding, but expressiveness so perhaps THAT is one reason why you aren't seeing a legion of keyboard shredders jumping onto it posting the most difficult bits of music they can find? Rather, what I have seen shown on the Linnstrument showcases vibrato, pitch control, dynamics, etc. Vibrato alone sells me on the value of the Linnstrument, but even though I could buy one today (And enjoy it immensely) I have other fish to fry. Lol I am on a mission. Gotta keep putting pressure on the Stick...

On the topic of practice, yes there are some similarities that would carry over to the Stick from the Linnstrument, just like much of my guitar and bass stuff carries over. And yeah, I agree that any practice is better than no practice... However, they are all different instruments, and as such each really require some time put in "doing the chores" to get used to it.

To make a long story short, I think a Linnstrument could easily distract me from my Stick and guitar stuff. I know I could get lost in playing that thing... Again, I can't wait to hear what you guys do with them!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Now the cool thing about the Linnstrument is that it's main marketing angle is NOT Jedi keyboard shredding, but expressiveness so perhaps THAT is one reason why you aren't seeing a legion of keyboard shredders jumping onto it posting the most difficult bits of music they can find? Rather, what I have seen shown on the Linnstrument showcases vibrato, pitch control, dynamics, etc. Vibrato alone sells me on the value of the Linnstrument, but even though I could buy one today (And enjoy it immensely) I have other fish to fry. Lol I am on a mission. Gotta keep putting pressure on the Stick...

No, that makes perfect sense: the Reason for Being ("raison d'etre") for the LinnStrument, or its main purpose in life, is that 3-dimensional level of expressiveness. So of course that's what the users, reviewers, and people putting up videos are going to show.

However, I was curious to see what the most complicated piece of keyboard music that would traditionally be played on a piano would look like on a LinnStrument. I'm sure that you can do that Liszt or Rachmaninov as well on it. I just wanted to see what that looked like on a completely different paradigm for a keyboard controller. Of course, that 3-dimension of expressiveness would be turned off anyway if using a "normal" piano sound or patch, so why play Rachmaninov on a LinnStrument anyway? (Other than the sheer spectacle of coolness.)

As to taking away from the Stick learning, again, you're not wrong in that. I've lately been more of a Renaissance man trying to do several things somewhat okay, rather than focusing on just one thing to master. Both approaches have their pros and cons, depending on what your goals are. To me, the learning of a new instrument is, in and of itself, a worthy endeavor, and the main goal is to just make music, of any kind. The Sticking is part of that larger goal, but has not been my main focus. But catch me later in my musical journeys and explorations, and I might change to focusing more on just Stick. Or I might be learning to play the didgeridoo! (But Bob might a bad example. He's probably already "Mastered" his Sticking, at least judging by the mortal competition, and thus can turn to other instruments. I'm nowhere near Mastering any of the instruments I play poorly.)

But some also feel that whatever we learn from other instruments ultimately make us better musicians, and hopefully, even better Stickists. Sometimes you need a break from the Sticking as well, and can come back to it with a new perspective and new interest.

That's been my experience with keyboards actually. All of my Sticking learning and new skills have fed back into my keyboard playing. My left hand keyboard bass is much better and more interesting, and my two-handed playing has taken a level up as well. And that feeds back into my Sticking.

But concentrating on just one thing at a time is important too. Ten people: ten colors. We all have different needs, wants, and goals, at different times of our lives. The Linnstrument seems a good fit to me for making more expressive keyboard stuff (which I see no future in which I completely stop playing keyboards), while leveraging and improving my Sticking fingering. The Roli Seaboard would accomplish the same thing with the expressiveness, allowing me to leverage my 30-years of piano playing and whatever half-ass technique I have, but not leverage my Sticking or the 4th tuning. Not sure what's the "correct" path forward on that is for me, but I'm willing to invest $300 in a Roli Block that will show me what I'm missing on the larger keyboards before I plunk down $1500.

That's my plan and what seems to work for me. Your mileage will vary tremendously. But I'm always interested in what works for you all and what solutions you have found that work for you (and maybe me, and maybe others). Thanks so much!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

:D For sure, all good! Everyone has different needs and requirements based on different tastes and genres, etc. I think it's cool how different each musician is, and how that coolness comes out in their music.

You're an amazing player Steve (Much closer to mastering anything than I am, that's for sure!), I always look forward to hearing and seeing what you come up with. hahaha For me, I gotta focus or the 'ole ADD will fire up and next thing you know I'll be playing synth for Yngwie hahaha

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry Steve didn't mean to sound so bitchy. The LinnStrument is a really cool device wish I could afford one, or anything for that matter. I can barely afford strings these days...very, very, minimal amount of income coming my way so all I can afford to do is practice on the instruments that I have (Be grateful for what I have, many can't afford a Stick). Sooo...my bitchiness comes from my frustration w/ myself. I think I'm having having my mid-life crisis at age 59-and-a-half...tic,tic,tic,...All these devices look and sound cool, gotta find my niche and generate some $$$

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next