It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 am

Very interesting tapping technique... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Very interesting tapping technique...
For comparison, here's a piece on the same instrument with effects added in tracking, so that "playing the effects" is an integral part of the piece.

So why put something online that doesn't sound as good as it could sound, especially if you are creating it in a controlled environment..?

My answer is that you have to plow the field before you plant. Spend some time creating a sound you really like before you record. You may not be able to get a result you like after the fact... Don't rely on "post" to do the work for you Your playing will be better if the sound really inspires you as much as the piece or the technique.

And here's another piece on the same instrument that uses much less effect but still needs a little ambience to make things like the harmonics really work:

For the curious, I'm using a UA Apollo interface, and the reverb is the Lexicon emulation.. It's a great interface for the Railboard...

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I didn't feel "Adrift". I didn't feel a draft. I felt the warm comfort of a song fully conceived and orchestrated on one instrument. I've always thought, with Greg it's all about the song, the composing of the song, then the variety of Stick sounds within the song, and the smooth execution of the arrangement (just as important and the song).

Thanks once again Greg, for the inspiration and warmth you exact from the Railboard, or any Stick model you play.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

We need a Stick Book Volume 2!

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Both praise and hostility for a young flashy guitarist.

Personally I've been a big fan of the influx in young acoustic players that seem to have exploded in the last 10-20 years.

I can name several that have really grabbed me and Mike Dawes usually sits pretty near the top of the list. The video below does a really nice job of tastefully incorporating several different techniques into one tune.

To bring this conversation back to playing the Stick (or any other instrument for that matter), one thing that always stands out for me with Dawes is his sense of timing and rhythm. In a tune like this, a lack of good rhythm would be absolute death.

This is really apparent with tunes that have the percussive aspects like a lot of today's acoustic guitar tunes but I think it rings true with just about any type of tune you play and I generally find that a lot of players don't spend enough time on this. You can learn the notes to a tune cold but mediocre timing can still kill the final product.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery