It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Krappies??? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Krappies???
Thumbs up dq2.

The video provided is really notthing like a Chapman Stick, its a warr or mega, it's a giant guitar, and he plays it like one.

There is no comparison between the two they are totally different instruments.

Ns stick is something i should soon aquire, but i would probably use some sort of fourths fifths tuning, not straight 8.

Maybe 3 fat bass strings in fifths, and 5 Melody strings in fourths, or 4x4 variation.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 am
Contributor
Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
If you want to play two hand independence with crossed hands? I wouldn’t ever bother with anything other than a Chapman stick.

You might not, which is fine, but you write "If you want to play ..." which implies you are stating this for everyone. It is obviously possible to very competently use some other brand of tap guitar for 'two hand independence with crossed hands', even if the Stick has a slight ergonomic advantage.
Brett Bottomley wrote:
If you don’t mind a limited range with not much access to all the notes the Kappy should be fine.

Krappy tappers can be any design you want, with no obstruction the upper fret access if desired, so that cannot be stated.
They offer models with more strings than any Stick, so the pitch range of either side can be larger.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

ReyStick wrote:
If you want to learn Free Hands, developed by Emmett Chapman, with the 4ths fifths tuning, then you can only buy a Chapman Stick.

ReyStick wrote:
If you're serious about tap and hold free hands method, or if you just like to make music, the Stick is the way to go.

Obviously not, any tap guitar with the same configuration can be used, and is.
There is no issue with using other brands of tap guitar for 'making music'.

One problem i find with this forum is how a few members feel they are legitimised in behaving like extremist religious fanatics, writing obvious nonsense and taking part in ridiculous hating of all other brands of tap guitar.
I have never seen anything like it on any instrument forum, apparently forums dedicated to one brand often have this problem.
This forum needs some heretics, otherwise it is very unhealthy. SE also needs more competition, and i very much look forward to it.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ixlramp wrote:
Brett Bottomley wrote:
If you want to play two hand independence with crossed hands? I wouldn’t ever bother with anything other than a Chapman stick.

You might not, which is fine, but you write "If you want to play ..." which implies you are stating this for everyone. It is obviously possible to very competently use some other brand of tap guitar for 'two hand independence with crossed hands', even if the Stick has a slight ergonomic advantage.
Brett Bottomley wrote:
If you don’t mind a limited range with not much access to all the notes the Kappy should be fine.

Krappy tappers can be any design you want, with no obstruction the upper fret access if desired, so that cannot be stated.
They offer models with more strings than any Stick, so the pitch range of either side can be larger.

I think having a body that obstructs consistent access to all the notes with both hands is what Brett is talking about here, that and the extra room around the first tappable fret on The Stick, which is usually occupied entirely by the damper on other instruments. For playing crossed, The Stick has more room for your hands, it just does. That was Brett's point, and he's right.

The range of an instrument is not determined just by the number of strings, it's determined by the tuning, the number of strings, and the number of usable frets. The Rails, in particular, make tapping at the higher frets much easier than conventional guitar frets. So there are theoretical aspects and practical aspects to these questions. If I'm assessing an instrument's quality, I'll listen for intonation, tone, clarity, and I'll play for consistency of feel.

I will say this about Emmett's instruments — playability is his primary concern. It's why he has a truss that's easy to adjust. It's why he does specific fretwork on the instrument to provide extra relief under the bass strings for super low action. It's why he has an adjustable nut. If any of the other instruments you're talking about have these same characteristics, please let us know.

A great player can make music on anything. Jan's a great player. It's a pleasure to hear him.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm just getting back into the swing of things here, as life has presented me with some challenges, along with some sadness.... but then again, things can't always be rosy....

This post comes at an exceptional time, as my SB-8 Padauk #1788 just got delivered the other day, and it is by far the absolute best instrument not only that I own, but that I have ever seen.

Tuning is - melody side EADG electric bass guitar tuning.
Bass side is CGDA standard 5ths classic tuning... so I literally have two basses in one, which was Grace's idea for me a while back... and I am so glad I took her advice, better late than never.....

Ok... Krappies.....

Last time I checked, I had well over 35 electric bass guitars, everything from a legit 1959 Danelecro double neck, a 1968 Fender P bass w/original flatwounds, an L-2 Steinberger prototype.... a battered 1960 Fender Jazz bass that was highly modified, and yes... absolute pieces of crap !!!

The nice thing about instruments which no person in their right mind would ever own is they are highly suitable for serious modification and experimentation, both of which I am huge fans of.

My sincere advice:

Go for it, but understand that what you are buying is not the real deal.

Cheers,

Big George W + Loki the Dog

PS: Does anyone know what happened to Cambria at Stick Enterprises ??
Seems like she is no longer there, and I only ask because I really liked working with her on my orders/projects/etc...

I sincerely hope Cambria is well.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ixl

"One problem i find with this forum is how a few members feel they are legitimised in behaving like extremist religious fanatics, writing obvious nonsense and taking part in ridiculous hating of all other brands of tap guitar."

I do not think the Chapman Stick is a tap guitar. It is not a guitar.

I don't hate any tap guitars, or people for that matter. I am expressing an opinion, i think the chapman stick is the way to go, thats an opinion.

It is its own instrument.

Tap on anything you want, not the same, maybe better for you, maybe worse, only you will know, buy a krappy and figure it out. I think you'll find the crappy price is not much less than a Chapman Stick.

You can tune any giant guitar to Chapman Stick tunings, eventually you will understand.

Love all around brother.
I don't hate, I prefer a Stick.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There are a couple other tapping instruments like the one Markus Reuter plays and the warr guitars, and dragonflys that have a good reputation. The others are more of a crap shoot ( pun intended ) . I’ll tell you that I don’t see much in the way of largely positive experiences for others besides the ones I have mentioned above. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist , but I look around quite a bit and I don’t see them. For the specific free hands style ergonomics it’s hard to beat the stick’s reputation. Almost everyone here is a stick owner and they have likely done a fair amount of their own research on what makes a good tapping instrument in general and for them specifically. So its not surprising people say. “in the end you’re better off with a stick”. I’m not sure I’d go with that being religious. More like fans. And this *is* a Fan site after all [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:42 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

*I need to add something here, which astonishing to me... I left out, and that is to me - all instruments - serve a purpose, of one sort or another....

I own a few Chapman Sticks, and have a brand new one under construction, that being said I also have two Mobius Megatars, one is a Toneweaver set up in major 3rds, the other is a regular M.Megatar set up like a Grand Stick in Classic tuning, then I also have a Warr Phalanx 12 tuned in 5ths melody and 4ths bass [not a typo and we can discuss that at another time...] and as for the Krappies... I see nothing wrong with them - just as an electric bassist of many years, I saw nothing wrong with Vox or Winston or other cheap copies of G-d knows what, because they all had their own unique voice or coolness irregardless of how awful they played or sounded.....

That being said, there's nothing like a Stick.

But if one want's a Krappie to expand their horizions, then go for it.

I know if once crosses my path, I probably would not pass up on it either.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:34 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hehe I just can’t get past the name - “Krappy”

He could really run with it, especially on model names;

The Big Turd
Logjam
Turtle head
King S**t
Big Brown Shark
Cow Pie
Montezuma’s Revenge
Stinker
Corn Bullet

Lol never ending, sorry - I could not resist as it’s too funny.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:18 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Krappy Cars auto sales, Our slogan is " We dont care about quality,its how we move quantities " Come visit our website and let your eye gait be enticed by our pretty photos.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next