It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Tappistry ban 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Tappistry ban
gpoorman wrote:
The great "open" and "all-embracing" forum :roll:

If anyone here is still active on both, they might consider posting Andy's original post over there so the few remaining can see what happens when they "step out of line."

The message which got me kicked out :roll: was either never posted or removed quickly (like the last time one of my replies "disappeared").

The thread is about the "New Megatar Video", and was started by Gary Openhill (I think), The video uses Ernie Jackson's (AKA Jamsire) music, with his permission. However, both Gary and Jamsire had an issue with the name "Chapman Stick" appearing in the video title (surprise, surprise!).
(For what it's worth, Ernie doesn't play "tappers" anymore, for reasons I will leave up to your imagination).
Naturally Traktor countered with a long post claiming that typing in "Chapman Stick" on Google would yield only legitimate Stick sites, and how he basically never uses "Stick" to attract people to Megatar videos and how Emmett has been making $1 million /year profit, so what should we care anyway?

I simply replied by checking his Google "facts" and finding that the bogus "Chapman Stick / Megatar comparison site" comes up at #6. I also brought up the use of "Chapman Stick" on Megatar eBay listings. Finally, I pointed out that Emmett has created a successful business without ever "overselling" his product. And I posted the same link to Traktor's "Voltos" site that Greg posted above. So that's it.

BTW Ben, I think it's great to have non-Stick players here. My issue is with Traktor only.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
The latest videos posted on YT were incredible, with all these mentions to the Stick to qualify his "work". This guy is just mad. :shock:

Not mad, my friend. Just pathetic.

Olivier

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm wondering if everyone realizes what TT is doing on twitter.com. Twitter has just opened up its home page for everyone to search and see what is being said about the topic. If you enter, "Chapman Stick" you get this:

Attachment:
Picture 4.png

If you follow some of the links there are videos from members of this forum on his YouTube site. I am finding this to be past annoying now. I'm not sure what to do about it, but, I do know that we need to add more posts about the real Stick on twitter, since it is getting seriously popular now.

Any thoughts?

-Eric

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, if you have not given a person permission to use your video clip, they can't without violating copyright law. Now, a lot of people do post on Youtube clips that they most certainly don't own copyrights to and I'm sure that if people wanted to stop them, they could, but they are not really concerned about it.

However, if your video is being used in a way you are not happy with, contact Youtube, or whomever is displaying the video and tell them that the person showing the video is doing so without your permission - demand that it be pulled from that site.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

phobucket wrote:
Andy,

I can't recall you doing anything worth banning, and didn't even know that you had been "warned". Despite being labeled as an admin on that forum (which I do none of, was just trying to fix the internal search feature, but couldn't/didn't have time to figure it out). It seems that what's good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Yes, I think his marketing tactics are a turn off (as many others have also expressed on tappistry), and after all of Traktor's talk about free speech in other posts, I am very surprised and disappointed to hear of your banning.

Every tapping player I have met, who is not affiliated with a particular tapping company, has had zero issue with people playing the brand of their choice. It is a shame that the company opinions and tactics are sometimes attached to the customers of that company.

Regarding reconsidering participation in tappistry, their are alot of good folks there who I don't see elsewhere, and the member base is still more "multi-denominational" than any other tapping site I am aware of. Really, where else is there to go? (Not that I don't find lots of great people and relevant information here, but not being a stickist on stickist.com, I am admittedly an odd-man out.)

Hi Ben,

If you consider all the options available to you as far as social networking sites go, these days it would be very easy to set up an alternative community to Tappistry that wasn't owned, operated and controlled by TT. I think it could be very successful, provided it was fair to everyone and not just another vehicle for publishing bogus tapping history and negative marketing.

Since what TT writes frequently doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and people are better informed than ever about The Stick, the only forum where he really puts it out there is his forum, and one-way avenues like videos, twitter, and email newsletter. He used to actually discuss things; now, if you tell people what's really happening, as Andy tried to do, you're out.

Maybe after this blows over, and he caves in to pressure and re-instates Andy's membership, and finds some way to blame Stick Enterprises for his actions, he'll lay low for a couple of weeks, let things calm down, then make yet another marketing-assault on his own tapping community.

Each time fewer people will be there to see it. I used to be concerned about what happened on Tappistry. I'm not any more. No one's watching (well, the same 30-40 people are). Why do these few musicians (and advertisers) who say they want to see a community that is welcoming to all players continue providing "good vibes" cover for his "bad vibes" agenda? Don't they see the view counts falling?

About stickist.com and stickwire, Emmett wrote this back in February:

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1244

"We believe these forums should remain open for all positive contributions and constructive criticisms, regardless of what instrument the correspondent plays..."

There's more about this in the thread linked above if you're interested. I agree with Andy and with Emmett, and I think most of the other people here do as well.

FredTap showed how it can be. We can all hang out together, outside the influence of TT's negativity. You were there, and so was I. Tappistry's not going to grow, no matter how much of your own energy you put into it, as long as TT's in charge (few things could in such toxic soil).

Stickist.com is fertile ground for cross-pollenation. Make it what you want it to be.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Greg,

Thanks. Yes, FredTap was great and I am looking forward to going again, but I don't want to divert this thread further from the original purpose, namely, "WTF?! Seriously, he banned Andy??!!", and to express support for the positive contributions Andy makes on this forum and elsewhere.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

phobucket wrote:
Greg,

Thanks. Yes, FredTap was great and I am looking forward to going again, but I don't want to divert this thread further from the original purpose, namely, "WTF?! Seriously, he banned Andy??!!", and to express support for the positive contributions Andy makes on this forum and elsewhere.

No really, it's ok - I'm spending too much time on the computer anyway! :lol:

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've been banned from that forum too. I called him pathetic, and said his instruments are ugly as hell. no great loss to be off of "crappistry". Im proud of it! I say in protest of Andy's banning, Manny should ban TT from coming on here!

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Jim B. wrote:
I've been banned from that forum too. I called him pathetic, and said his instruments are ugly as hell. no great loss to be off of "crappistry". Im proud of it! I say in protest of Andy's banning, Manny should ban TT from coming on here!

And you want to respond in kind? My respect for you has been diminished.

Skype Me™!

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

locks wrote:
Jim B. wrote:

And you want to respond in kind? My respect for you has been diminished.

you must be Traktor's brother.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next