It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 "Good News/Bad News" misinformation 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: "Good News/Bad News" misinformation
>>As it should be. So for accuracy's sake, your Stick @ 1350 was a 10-string; the M*****r is 12.<<

Mr. Monk, I have nothing to prove and believe in a buyers choice. But as someone who has tried all the instruments, and a long time player/educator, I think my opinion would be valuable to a prospective purchaser. Having an opinion doesn't make a cult as you stated.
And 12 strings don't give value. Craftsmanship, history and demand do.
I personally play The Chapman Stick because it is the best instrument on every level.
And yes, anybody can play anything they wish.
If your agenda is to challenge my beliefs, hold your breath. It ain't worth it.
Happy Valentine's Day
SA

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lighten up. The cult thing was a joke.

I'm not aware of trying to challenge your opinion that the Stick is dominant in design and craftsmanship, as I share that opinion; I spoke up because I thought I saw someone being bullied. If a beginner already has his instrument, it does no good to tell him how inferior it is. Quite the opposite. As an educator you should know this.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>>I thought I saw someone being bullied.<<

In the key of C
Wooly, Bully,....
Sam The Sham and The Pharoahs

BTW-if the header of this thread is accurate, my words were in tune.

SA

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

First off, I would never belong to a cult who would have me as a member (to paraphrase Groucho).

But I get what you're saying, Randy, I do. Nomad Monday is probably saying, "what is this all about?...I just want to play." So forgive us. TT seems to bring out the worst in everyone.

But there are things to talk about, especially in light of the title of this thread.

It's not a Stick
All knock-off builders rely on the assumption that just because something has the same kinds of general components and is based on the same functional concepts it would provide the same kind of experience. Daniel points to one way this assumption is wrong:
arsacane wrote:
Personally I wouldn't use a Megatar for crossed playing, it's wider than Stick and it's too much for my hands size.
I think what Daniel says about the width of the neck being a hindrance for "crossed" playing is relevant. Being able to easily reach across the board to access all of the strings with both hands is a big part of the sensation of Stick playing.

So if you're playing an instrument that's designed differently, don't expect to do everything comfortably you find in books that are written for The Stick on instruments with different ergonomic properties. They're just different.

There are many other differences that affect playability, from positioning to ease of adjustment and even the frets used. Minimizing these differences ignores the experience that went into making them. It's a kind of willful ignorance, I think.

Do the differences in design and build of these instruments make one better for learning how to play?
Hard to say for certain. Here's one observation. The Stick had dozens of great players after only a short while. I'm still waiting for the killer performance video of the person who started out on TT's instrument. 11 years and counting. So where are the great native Megatarists?

As an aside, calling this discussion "political" is a little demeaning. But if it's politics you want...
Are you in the TIT party (Teaching, Innovation and Tapping) or the TAT party (Touching, Advertizing and Twaddle)?
I've always tried to be a good TIT man myself...

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>I've always tried to be a good TIT man myself...<<

And an advocate of Free Hands.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>I've always tried to be a good TIT man myself...<<

And an advocate of Free Hands.

:D :D :D ROFL!!!

Very good one Steve! Free hands rule ;)

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
So if you're playing an instrument that's designed differently, don't expect to do everything comfortably you find in books that are written for The Stick on instruments with different ergonomic properties. They're just different.

Yes they're just different. Some techniques will be applicable to all the tapping instruments while others will work better on a specific brand. While the wider string space (and having a wider bridge) makes the cross playing a bit more difficult (at least for me) I guess it will make plucking and strumming easier; although being a tapping instrument, I will favor the tapping technique over the other 'complementary' techniques.

Just to get back on track, Welcome Nomad Monday! I hope you'll have fun in your tapping journey. Hey! maybe you'll be the killer Megatar player that Greg is waiting :) Sweat, blood & tears, dedication and a good pinch of talent and good taste will do the trick no matter the instrument.

And regarding this last point that Greg raised, I've seen some very good Megatar players. I think most of them started on a Stick long before the existence of Warrs & Megatars; what makes those players so good is not the fact that they started with a Stick but the fact they been playing for more than 15 years. The other thing to consider is that I believe they are more Sticks in the hands of musicians than all the 'teflon' instruments put together so it's natural that you find more cool videos with a Stick.
I'm sure Greg or Steve, after 5 mins with a Megatar, will be able to come out with a nice sound and something much more musical than what I could do in a week with my Stick :oops: . I've seen Ron Baggerman trying different instruments in the Etap seminar (there were more instruments & tunings than participants to the seminar) and he was always able to pull out nice chops and groovy ideas from his hat in a few mins.

Bottom line I believe choice is good. Eating at McDonalds once in a while makes makes me appreciate a good restaurant even more and understand where all that extra money you pay is going to ;)

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 am
Contributor
Contributor

mad_monk wrote:
Lighten up. The cult thing was a joke.

I'm not aware of trying to challenge your opinion that the Stick is dominant in design and craftsmanship, as I share that opinion; I spoke up because I thought I saw someone being bullied. If a beginner already has his instrument, it does no good to tell him how inferior it is. Quite the opposite. As an educator you should know this.

Mad Monk.

Randy's absolutely right. And don't back away from it just because tin pan alley think's his "stature" makes him more of an authority than anyone else.

And yes, the level of absurd hero worship around here is rediculous. Although I am amused that hearing the word cult caused Steve's bald head to vein up that much. Relax. Strokes are bad.

He never said the Megataur was better than the stick. In fact noone did. He said that he could afford it. And yes that's a valid reason. And I'm sorry, but if someone wants to play bad enough, they could make music with a rock and a wall. The stick is a better instrument than a megataur, but this argument that it can hinder or prevent your development as a musician is stupid.

And show me where these people are that are lined up to buy sticks like they're big macs at macdonalds? Yes, sticks tend to retain their resell price but don't act like it's as easy as shouting out your window "Stick for sale!" and Bam! 3000 bucks. There's a good chance it may take a while to sell it if you have to, just like any other instrument. I havent seen a stick on ebay in a while.

And lastly, yes it's political. Just veneered with a lot of PC.

Tritone

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:31 am
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>As it should be. So for accuracy's sake, your Stick @ 1350 was a 10-string; the M*****r is 12.<<

Mr. Monk, I have nothing to prove and believe in a buyers choice. But as someone who has tried all the instruments, and a long time player/educator, I think my opinion would be valuable to a prospective purchaser. Having an opinion doesn't make a cult as you stated.
And 12 strings don't give value. Craftsmanship, history and demand do.
I personally play The Chapman Stick because it is the best instrument on every level.
And yes, anybody can play anything they wish.
If your agenda is to challenge my beliefs, hold your breath. It ain't worth it.
Happy Valentine's Day
SA

Sounds like you're the one with the agenda.

Tritone

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:43 am
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>>Well, since Chapman Sticks hold their value well, it's very difficult to get a good price on one. I just got a used megatar for $1k, and haven't seen a Stick come close to that price. In a short-term initial cost aspect, I would still rather get a less expensive megatar.<<<

I recently posted a student selling a used Stick for $1350.These pop up fairly often. Your choice.

Sticks for 1300 dollars do not pop up "fairly often". Try again .

Lee Vatip wrote:
>> Having no experience with these types of instruments or even with guitar, I doubt I would notice the differences between the instruments.<<

You know about assuming. Sounds like you didn't really shop. There are many differences in looks, feel, playability and quality. It would be obvious in 5 minutes that The Stick is made by a genuine master builder/inventor. The other by a salesman.

Sounds like you're the one that did the assuming. And yes the saying applies.

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>Similarly, I'm an experienced drummer, and have more distinguishing tastes when it comes to drums. So I'm more willing to pay a higher price for higher quality when it comes to drums.<<

I tell my students on guitar or Stick, you want to give yourself a better chance of pursuing the music by getting a good instrument. You've made your choice. Others who are deciding should know that The Stick will be the conduit to successful playing. There are so many reasons.

Of course. The Stick is the singular instrument on this earth for successful playing. I'll be sure and tell the pianists, guitarists,drummers, saxophone, trumpets, violins, cellos, basses, horn and woodwind players on my way out.

Tritone

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:54 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next