It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 "Good News/Bad News" misinformation 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: "Good News/Bad News" misinformation
Some of the most amazing and gifted guitarists and bass players started out on instruments that were utter pieces of s**t. Played on them for years. I'd say that was the norm, rather than the exception.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:30 am
tritone wrote:
And show me where these people are that are lined up to buy sticks like they're big macs at macdonalds? Yes, sticks tend to retain their resell price but don't act like it's as easy as shouting out your window "Stick for sale!" and Bam! 3000 bucks. There's a good chance it may take a while to sell it if you have to, just like any other instrument. I havent seen a stick on ebay in a while.

Tritone

I´ve sold 5 Stick´s in my life. Never even had to advertise. People call or e-mail me every once in awhile asking for information about the Stick and how to get one. And every once in awhile those e-mails or phone calls have come when I´m about to part with a Stick for different reasons. I´ve always got the same or on two occations even a few dollars more for the instruments when I´ve sold them than I´d paid myself. I´ve bought three of those new and two used. Easy to sell and the news owners have been happy. I still have contact with several of the buyers. No problems at all. I spoke to the guy that bought one of my old Grand Stick´s just a few weeks ago. It was made around -92 or -93. Never ever been back to Stick Enterprises, he uses it alot and no problems at all during the 10 years he´s had it. No problems when I had it. I bought a used Stick from around -83 just about two years ago mostly for the fun of it and that one had never been back to SE either. Beautiful instrument. 27 years old. I had it for about half a year and then sold it and ordered two new bamboo Stick´s with Stickup PU´s since I realized how much I had missed the Stickup.... The guy that bought it is very happy with it. He´ll most likely be able to sell it without losing money either.

Good value and easy to sell. And very reliable.

Sincerely//Jan

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:34 am
Contributor
Contributor

Holy crap.

I wonder why I refrained from posting here, huh?
Sorry, I'm too busy playing music over there.

happy sticking folks :ugeek:

Skype Me™!

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

arsacane wrote:
greg wrote:
So if you're playing an instrument that's designed differently, don't expect to do everything comfortably you find in books that are written for The Stick on instruments with different ergonomic properties. They're just different.

Yes they're just different. Some techniques will be applicable to all the tapping instruments while others will work better on a specific brand. While the wider string space (and having a wider bridge) makes the cross playing a bit more difficult (at least for me) I guess it will make plucking and strumming easier; although being a tapping instrument, I will favor the tapping technique over the other 'complementary' techniques.

Just to get back on track, Welcome Nomad Monday! I hope you'll have fun in your tapping journey. Hey! maybe you'll be the killer Megatar player that Greg is waiting :) Sweat, blood & tears, dedication and a good pinch of talent and good taste will do the trick no matter the instrument.

And regarding this last point that Greg raised, I've seen some very good Megatar players. I think most of them started on a Stick long before the existence of Warrs & Megatars; what makes those players so good is not the fact that they started with a Stick but the fact they been playing for more than 15 years. The other thing to consider is that I believe they are more Sticks in the hands of musicians than all the 'teflon' instruments put together so it's natural that you find more cool videos with a Stick.
I'm sure Greg or Steve, after 5 mins with a Megatar, will be able to come out with a nice sound and something much more musical than what I could do in a week with my Stick :oops: . I've seen Ron Baggerman trying different instruments in the Etap seminar (there were more instruments & tunings than participants to the seminar) and he was always able to pull out nice chops and groovy ideas from his hat in a few mins.

Bottom line I believe choice is good. Eating at McDonalds once in a while makes makes me appreciate a good restaurant even more and understand where all that extra money you pay is going to ;)

Cheers, Daniel.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for being so agreeable in your discussion of this. I value your perspective.

I agree that talented and skilled people can make music on almost anything. Learning is easier on a better instrument. Who's instrument is better? Don't believe every ad you see, especially from people who can't get their facts straight.

Like you, I hope Nomad Monday has a great time with his instrument. I also hope someday he gets a Stick. Maybe then he'll know why we like it so much.

The persecution rests :)

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

tritone wrote:
And yes, the level of absurd hero worship around here is rediculous.

Not quite as bad as the spelling, though.

tritone wrote:
Although I am amused that hearing the word cult caused Steve's bald head to vein up that much. Relax. Strokes are bad.

In keeping with the subject of this thread, anyone that knows Steve knows this is nonsense.

Jim

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
In keeping with the subject of this thread, anyone that knows Steve knows this is nonsense.
Jim

In keeping with the subject of this thread, does anyone know if TT ever sent out a correction to his email list about his SE pricing misinformation? Just curious.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg wrote:
arsacane wrote:
Personally I wouldn't use a Megatar for crossed playing, it's wider than Stick and it's too much for my hands size.
I think what Daniel says about the width of the neck being a hindrance for "crossed" playing is relevant. Being able to easily reach across the board to access all of the strings with both hands is a big part of the sensation of Stick playing.

In my first few days of playing the Megatar, I have noticed that it is a bit difficult to reach across (I also have small hands). I think I may have to switch to uncrossed tuning.

To clarify, I'd buy a Stick if I could afford one, but it all came down to price for me. I've read some of Emmett's articles and seen some of his videos, and this guy is seriously my hero (the modal wheel blew my mind).

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good luck with your music Nomad.
I hope my words were not misinterpreted by you as others did.
Enjoy your journey.
SA

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

tritone has a point, but as always it involves a pointed hat.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:31 am
secondfiddle wrote:
tritone has a point, but as always it involves a pointed hat.

Everyone else has a point too.

Sincerely//Jan

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next