It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm

anyone GASsin' for anything non-stick? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post anyone GASsin' for anything non-stick?
cos I am .................... someone in the UK is selling a fantastic looking bass. It's a Modulus 6 string and it is such a thing of beauty. I've never even held a 6 string let alone played one, but I'm giving it some serious consideration at the moment. I'm strictly a 5 stringer up to now, so I'm not sure how it would feel.

There are two problems though - firstly I'd have to raid some savings, which is never a good idea, and secondly, I promised the wife I'd not buy another instrument without selling some stuff first!

Anyone else????

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: anyone GASsin' for anything non-stick?
twizzle wrote:
cos I am .................... someone in the UK is selling a fantastic looking bass. It's a Modulus 6 string and it is such a thing of beauty. I've never even held a 6 string let alone played one, but I'm giving it some serious consideration at the moment. I'm strictly a 5 stringer up to now, so I'm not sure how it would feel.

There are two problems though - firstly I'd have to raid some savings, which is never a good idea, and secondly, I promised the wife I'd not buy another instrument without selling some stuff first!

Anyone else????

I own a Modulus Quantum 6 string bass. (And a Modulus Quantum 5 string fretless bass) If you want a bass it's definitely a bass worth gassin over!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Ooooh! How does 6 strings compare to 5, is it a difficult transition?

My other hesitation is that people assume that you are really good if you have 6 strings on a bass, and I'm totally average!

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:24 pm
Contributor
Contributor

twizzle wrote:

Anyone else????

Get a 6 string. I love mine. The neck is great, I just love everything about it.

I really want a Fender Reverse Strat (it's like a lefty turned righty.) Cream please! :lol:

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I actually just recently bought a new bass, Steinberger Synapse. And it kicks ass!

I think GAS'ing is a major concern for all of us and those special ones ;p

My transition from 4 to 5 strings wasn't that hard really, especially after playing Stick.
My guess is you won't have a problem either, just try to naturally incorporate the extra range.
Don't force yourself or you may feel frustrated!

My next step string-wise is 8, the NS Stick! Or Maybe the Alto Stick? Hm, a fretless bass would be nice. Maybe I should reacquaint myself with the double bass? What about some new pedals? ad infinitum, you get the picture ;p

Skype Me™!

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:29 pm
Contributor
Contributor

twizzle wrote:

My other hesitation is that people assume that you are really good if you
have 6 strings on a bass, and I'm totally average!

Twiz, we talked about this on the old forum: I have a Pedulla 5 string fretless w/ high C instead of the B. The C gives you the range without moving out of position, plus higher sounding double (and triple) stops with more open voicings. I may go back to low B when I finally pull it out of exile-my muscle strength (hence intonation) ain't what it used to be, so not too many double (and triple) stops. I'll leave them to the Stick.

And I'm totally average!

Marty

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

twizzle wrote:

My other hesitation is that people assume that you are really good if you have 6 strings on a bass, and I'm totally average!

The transition is nothing ... piece of cake. It's just another string ... it means you can cover more range with less movement ... that's all. A lot less strings than on Sticks! ;)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

twizzle wrote:
secondly, I promised the wife I'd not buy another instrument without selling some stuff first!

Is it the same colour as one of your existing instruments? ;-)

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:55 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

digitalkettle wrote:
twizzle wrote:
secondly, I promised the wife I'd not buy another instrument without selling some stuff first!

Is it the same colour as one of your existing instruments? ;-)

Good one!

This sounds terrible, but once I bought a secondhand guitar, had it delivered to work, dismantled it and took the bits home over a couple of days, and then announced that I was going to 'make something up out of spare parts that I have lying around".

It worked.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:43 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

twizzle wrote:
This sounds terrible, but once I bought a secondhand guitar, had it delivered to work, dismantled it and took the bits home over a couple of days, and then announced that I was going to 'make something up out of spare parts that I have lying around".

It worked.
Man, that is TERRIBLE!!! I love it!!! :)

Currently GAS-ing for another MTD 535 bass and a fretless 535, an Alembic F-2B pre-amp, a decent MIDI keyboard with aftertouch, all the ROM cards ever available for the Wavestation...

EG

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 pm