It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Repertoire 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Repertoire
Hi Glenn.

I have all my original trio songs scored out, though I'm not sure that's exactly what you're after.

Tell me more....

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well ... I suppose I'm just looking to have the repertoire expand. So your trio songs for example. Are they scored such that they'd be pretty straight forward for others to read? Could they be made available in PDF form? Even for a fee?

As somebody who dabbles in fingerstyle guitar almost as much as Stick, I notice the difference between what is available to me as far as charts go. If you go to, for example, Candyrat records. The list of buy/download charts from their artists is almost as large as the list of songs to listen to.

It's not that I personally want everybody to fork over their tunes for me to play. But I think this is one of the things that grows the instrument and it's a milestone we've yet to reach. Greg has surely done his part with the songbook. That's a huge first step as well as some of the charts Emmett put in Free Hands.

My feeling is ... it doesn't matter if the tune is hard or easy, beginner or advanced. We just need more stuff out there.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
...The pool is too small....that's my opinion anyway. Maybe in 50 years, but not now.....

...in 50 years? :?: ? :?: ....

...to late for the most of us....

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I jut want to re-iterate that between the Stick Book and the Greg Howard Songbook there are more than 25 charts covering a wide range of skill levels, StaffTabbed for all the major 10-string and 12-string tunings ready and waiting for you folks to learn... ;)

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I think that the prevailing attitude surrounding the instrument is one where that in order to be even considered mediocre, you need to pretty much have mastered it.

I would not feel comfortable "daring" to share a score of a tune I created, even if I DID work my ass off on it, and play it to the best of my ability. Honestly, I think people are generally just disinterested, perhaps?

Me, I'd love to learn from someone else's scores. I don't know what the fuck I am doing, and I am certain I am getting worse; I am just not ready to play at the level that any of the learning material is at. (I own it all) To make matters worse, I am not even good enough to take lessons yet. Just running in circles, stumbling around hoping for the best...

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scott I feel the same way......
We need some uber beginner tunes to get started with....particularly if you are super new to the Stick and dont have a damn clue about how to approach it.

cheers,
Ginan Tawnic

ps.
you are not getting worse, although I dig your self deprecation. You are gonna kill this thing in time...

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scott: I'm In North Africa right now, sick with food poisoning, so I'm the last man on earth to make you feel good. Anyway: 1-one does not get worst on a instrument. 2- it is never soon enough to have a teacher, I wish I could afford one. 3- purpose and small but very clear objectives - that's what will always make you go forward. Cheers

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:36 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I think that the prevailing attitude surrounding the instrument is one where that in order to be even considered mediocre, you need to pretty much have mastered it.

I would not feel comfortable "daring" to share a score of a tune I created, even if I DID work my ass off on it, and play it to the best of my ability. Honestly, I think people are generally just disinterested, perhaps?

Me, I'd love to learn from someone else's scores. I don't know what the fuck I am doing, and I am certain I am getting worse; I am just not ready to play at the level that any of the learning material is at. (I own it all) To make matters worse, I am not even good enough to take lessons yet. Just running in circles, stumbling around hoping for the best...
Scott,

I'm not sure I agree with this. If anything, I hear great playing from people who focus on their groove, keep it simple, and don't try to impress with anything beyond good musicianship.

There's a tendency to say "hey look what this instrument can do!" when what often works best is "hey, listen to this tune!"

Just reacting to your post. Lessons work any time. enjoy the "beginner mind", it's a very liberating place to be.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Like they say in Maui, take your time on the road to Hana.
It's the trip to get there that's important, not the destination.
Jayesskerr wrote:

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:49 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

If someone was an aspiring painter or rock guitarist, one thing they might do is go to Youtube and look up free instructional videos. If they didn't, no one would take them very seriously about an intent to learn how to paint or play rock and there are many people like that. If they don't have any pretensions about ever being very good they CAN continue to enjoy painting and futsing around with a guitar even though what they paint is fairly pointless. That's their choice. But the people who use the good resources available, often make quite a lot of progress quickly. There are some poor rice farmer's kids here in Indonesia with iPhones that play a mean metal guitar these days. You'd be surprised. They've poured over those rock guitar lesson vids like it's nobody's business. [Too bad they all sound the same.]

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:29 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next